New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise

Taranis and X series receivers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator24/02/2015 18:14:31
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

Has anyone else found that the upgrade software doesn't find the device unless you connect the device (receiver in this case) AFTER you click Download?

This has been the case when upgrading a good few Varios too.

Phil Brooks24/02/2015 18:48:03
458 forum posts
148 photos

Yes, and if it doesn't find the device then it's necessary to restart the entire procedure, including unplugging and reconnecting the USB connector. I did try standing on one leg while facing north with a pickled onion between my teeth, but that didn't seem to make any difference! cheeky

Chris Bott - Moderator24/02/2015 19:04:49
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

teeth 2 good, not just me then. I manage to leave the USB connected, but generally get success by:-

• Connect the USB adapter to the PC and the smart port adapter cable to the USB adapter.
  • Run frsky_update_Sport.exe
  • Make sure correct com port is selected.
  • Click File and select the appropriate firmware (.frk file).
  • Click Download and..
  • Fairly quickly, plug the smart port adapter into the receiver.

While this doesn't seem quite right to me, it always seems to work.

flight124/02/2015 19:29:53
459 forum posts
31 photos

Yes The procedure listed above by chris works whhich i have done and i have found you don't have to be super fast pluggging the smart port adapter in to the Rx or Tx. I have found also that instead of pluginging in the smart port in last have it already pluged in but with thr power off (same for XJT module) then power rx on when ready to

For the xr4r i just adapted the smart port lead that came with it and made a plug to fit the exsisting lead . just used a male housing and male pins so no using it for anything else. see picture for colour code/how

wp_20150224_001.jpg

Edited By flight1 on 24/02/2015 19:40:17

Chris Bott - Moderator24/02/2015 20:02:43
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

OK, what also seems to work is:-

• Connect the USB adapter to the PC and the smart port adapter cable to the USB adapter.
  • Run frsky_update_Sport.exe
  • Make sure correct com port is selected.
  • Click File and select the appropriate firmware (.frk file).
  • Plug the smart port adapter into the receiver.
  • Click Download and wait for the download to complete.
Stuart Ord25/02/2015 20:51:22
51 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks to all. I'm trying to make a start, but hitting snags as expected. I received the three cables from T9 today.

Firstly, trying to download the firmwares from the FrSky site, I either get a page of this sort of stuff (3RŠQØÚ_h¸ie¹‚?0ÇÐÚÌa²ò¿Ó0;„Y¾ä该t–Ä•c~‰Féëkƒ'•ãIj(?íy'©*tO) or in one case I was given the X4R operators manual. Nothing that looks like a file of code.

Secondly, looking at the instructions on the leaflet "How-to for TFR4SB/ TFR8SB Firmware Upgrade" I found the item labelled "FUL" is not in this package. Where can I get that from?

Thirdly, looking at the instructions on the leaflet "How to upgrade FrSky Smart Port (S.Port) enabled products " I see the leads I have received match than interface lead shown except that the X4R has a little white SPort socket rather than a servo type one - I guess I'll have to make an interface lead like I did to make my pre-2015 X4R talk to the SmartPort sensors. Job for tomorrow!

John Privett25/02/2015 21:10:30
5563 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Stuart Ord on 25/02/2015 20:51:22:

Firstly, trying to download the firmwares from the FrSky site, I either get a page of this sort of stuff (3RŠQØÚ_h¸ie¹‚?0ÇÐÚÌa²ò¿Ó0;„Y¾ä该t–Ä•c~‰Féëkƒ'•ãIj(?íy'©*tO) or in one case I was given the X4R operators manual. Nothing that looks like a file of code.

Stuart, what browser are you using? It looks like the browser is attempting to display the file as text on the screen instead of downloading it.

Try right-clicking on the Download link and selecting "Save link as..." or similar (exact wording will depend on the browser you're using.)

Stuart Ord25/02/2015 21:14:24
51 forum posts
11 photos

Now I look at the photo from flight1 I see he got there before me. Thanks!

Just reading the comments I feel better - everyone is having to mess about like me. Still, I wonder why FrSky can't bring out a kit and simple instructions to do this instead of telling us to make up leads and alter the pin orders in some - bit of a brewery job if you ask me.

John Privett25/02/2015 21:17:53
5563 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Stuart Ord on 25/02/2015 20:51:22:

Secondly, looking at the instructions on the leaflet "How-to for TFR4SB/ TFR8SB Firmware Upgrade" I found the item labelled "FUL" is not in this package. Where can I get that from?

I think you have the wrong instructions there Stuart!

The TFR range of receivers are their Futaba FASST compatible ones. Which is fine if you're using a Futaba transmitter (as I did previously) but I think this is what you want.

Stuart Ord25/02/2015 21:20:50
51 forum posts
11 photos

John, I'm using IE11.

I did try that (right click / save as)vand got no further - it offers to save it like this "X4R_140521.htm" and "X8R_150115.htm" -- not .frk files I've managed to download an .rar file (X8R bottom right of page 1 of the FrSky firmware downloads page) but I don't think that's it, is it?

Stuart Ord25/02/2015 21:25:33
51 forum posts
11 photos

Ah, I see, silly me - I hadn't realised what TFR etc meant. Your link leads to the SmartPort instructions. OK, all roads are leading there and I do have the kit to do that once I've made up this lead for the X4R.Thanks. Only the firmware download problem to solve.....

John Privett25/02/2015 21:30:40
5563 forum posts
219 photos

Ah, OK... I thought Microsoft browsers had been getting better, but maybe not!

So I've just blown the dust off my IE11, and confirmed its bad behaviour. Clicking the 'Download' link displays the binary file on-screen as garbage.

Right-click, Save target as... almost works. It downloads the file, but renames it as XJT_eu_150122.htm rather than XJT_eu_150122.frk. (This is the tx firmware.) Don't you just love Microsoft! thinking I've downloaded the file in IE11 and in Chrome, and apart from the filename Winmerge confirms the two files are identical.

So either download the files with IE11 and rename them, or get yourself a decent browser!

Stuart Ord26/02/2015 09:48:24
51 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks, John. Browsers are amazing really. I've used the lot several times over the years, "other man's grass" syndrome, and by and large I've found IE the most reliable, but it's letting us down here. Maybe it's something to do with the software used to make the web site. Who knows.

OK, getting ever closer. I've made up the patch for my leads, so all being well I'll downgrade a new R4X this morning and report back. Fingers crossed.

Stuart Ord26/02/2015 10:44:14
51 forum posts
11 photos

Falling at the last hurdle.

When I plugged in my USB adapter and tried to run the FrSky update program, it complained about not having a driver. It pointed me to a Silicon Labs website where I downloaded and installed the driver.

I downloaded the X4R firmware (non-EU, SBus) with an htm extension (has the number 150116 in the name) and changed the extension to .frk

I plugged the USB adapter in again and ran the FrSky software. The program window now appears and it says "S.Port@ (red square) (red square) COM5 The latter is in a drop-down box and no other options are available to me. At the bottom it says "COM5 not available". If I click the File button and select the frk file, I've now got the first red square flashing red and green alternately, and the text at the bottom is now "finding device...". The USB adapter has a red continuous LED lit, and the X4R has its red LED flashing slowly. COM5 is still the only option available. It seems to be stuck with no COM port it can use.

Do you think the driver is faulty? I did download the one for Win7 X64 and it did say it was installed OK.

Martyn K26/02/2015 10:45:49
4335 forum posts
2962 photos

I am now very confused.

I have a 2014 Taranis X9D Transmitter with 2 (2014) X8R receivers. I have a number of V8R2 Receivers (2014), 2 Delta Receivers (2014) and I have recently purchased 2 V4R2 receivers and 1 X8R Receiver (2015).

I don't think I need to (or can) do anything with the V range or Delta receivers

My Transmitter is up to date with 2.0.15 firmware.

First question.. Has upgrading the transmitter to 2.0.15 effectively made it Euro compliant and therefore mandated that my 2014 X8R receivers need to have the firmware upgraded or do I needed to perform some other ritual on my transmitter? My 2014 receivers still seem to work OK and I have bound the new 2015 receiver in D8 mode - apparently successfully.

Second question. At the moment, I only have one Telemetry device - a variometer - in use. Do the S-Bus devices have to have firmware matched to the receiver firmware?

I am fairly comfortable with upgrading firmware - I already have the cable kit - and the advice provided above has been excellent (as usual), but I really would like to have a clear upgrade path:

e.g.

• Upgrade Transmitter
  • Upgrade Receivers
  • Upgrade Telemetry devices

What have I missed here?

Cheers

Martyn

Chris Bott - Moderator26/02/2015 11:09:03
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

Hi Martyn

Q1 - No 2.0.15 (and all other versions of OpenTx) has nothing to do with the RF section.

To make it euro compliant you have to upgrade the internal RF module.

There is no upgrade necessary on any telemetry devices, although some of them have had newer firmware revisions come out, for other reasons. The vario was one, but yours may have the latest, and you can tell from the date marked on it.

I believe that the V8R2 receivers will be fine with "rest of the world" or EU Tx module firmware, although I don't have any to prove it.

PS - My strategy just at the moment is to change new receivers to "rest of the world" firmware. I bought my Tx before the changeover date and it therefore is perfectly OK to use, as it is.

Chris Bott - Moderator26/02/2015 11:12:06
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

Stuart you are soooo close!

When you get to "finding device" try unplugging and plugging back in, the receiver.

If that doesn't set it off, just try closing everything and starting again.
It's "finding device" that I have trouble with, and connecting the Rx after "finding device" starts, seems to have cracked that for me.

Stuart Ord26/02/2015 11:22:15
51 forum posts
11 photos

I'm finding that if I plug in the adapter after starting the program (as suggested above) then no COM port is offered to me, and the download button remains grey

Ah, I might have cracked it. It depends on sequence. What seems to have worked:

Close everything. Remove the lead from the receiver.

Plug the USB adapter in. Red LED lights. Computer acknowledges the USB (sound)

Run the FrSky sport program

Select the .frk file - the first square box flashes red/green, program says "finding device"

Plug in the receiver - it shows both red and green LEDs, program says "Device found, please click Download, Download button ungreys, first square is now red again

Click download and it runs - progress bar slowly goes green, the two boxes are both flashing red and green - "Please wait, in progressing...", receiver LEDs are flashing

When the progress is 100%, both squares are red again, Rx LED is flashing green only, program says "Firmware is updated".

Right, now for the proof of the pudding, I'll go and try to bind it.

Martyn K26/02/2015 11:31:53
4335 forum posts
2962 photos

Cheers Chris

I guess that this is the module upgrade I need for the Transmitter..XJT_eu_150122.frk

BTW - I suspect that IE opens the files as binary text files because it doesn't recognise the file type and is protecting you from downloading malware - this is a GOOD thing.

M

Stuart Ord26/02/2015 11:45:46
51 forum posts
11 photos

SUCCESS!

Wonderful, I've downgraded all three of my new X4Rs and they bound immediately as usual.

I think what I might do now is wait for the three X6Rs I've got on order which T9 say will come in March, then upgrade the Tx module. If that works OK I'll upgrade all my pre-2015 RXs I might as well be a good EU citizen!

Many thanks to all who have helped - couldn't have done it without you. Which is sad really, FrSky should give proper customer support. There are a number of our club members who agree that the Taranis radios give superb performance, but they are concerned about learning to program it, so are reluctant to try. If they knew of this sort of hassle, they wouldn't touch FrSky with a barge pole! Traditional systems are right for them I suppose, but it's a pity they can't benefit.

Stuart

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
SHREK
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues