New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise

Taranis and X series receivers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator26/02/2015 18:32:38
6221 forum posts
1274 photos
1 articles

Well done Stuart, I did say plug in the receiver after you get to the "finding device stage", not the USB device.

Jeffery Barrington26/02/2015 19:40:13
5 forum posts

Just updated my Taranis, X4R and X8R. Thanks to all for your help guys. Anyone know the reason for the EU update, have we effectively lowered the output power by changing to this firmware? 

Edited By Jeffery Barrington on 26/02/2015 19:50:36

John Privett26/02/2015 20:10:15
5563 forum posts
219 photos

No, Jeffery, the output power hasn't changed.

What has changed is that 2.4GHz devices must now 'listen' before they transmit so as to reduce the possibility of mutual interference.

And a quick reminder to those upgrading/downgrading. From my experience last month, if you update the firmware in tx and rx then you must rebind the rx afterwards. You may think (as I initially did!) that if they were already bound before the upgrade/downgrade they wouldn't need binding again. However until you rebind you'll see that whilst they work, the response is very jittery. Fine once rebound though.

I've left mine - for now - in the old firmware, mainly because I have two gliders with X4R rxs that are a little awkward to get to to do the upgrade.

Jeffery Barrington26/02/2015 21:57:06
5 forum posts
Posted by John Privett on 26/02/2015 20:10:15:

No, Jeffery, the output power hasn't changed.

What has changed is that 2.4GHz devices must now 'listen' before they transmit so as to reduce the possibility of mutual interference.

And a quick reminder to those upgrading/downgrading. From my experience last month, if you update the firmware in tx and rx then you must rebind the rx afterwards. You may think (as I initially did!) that if they were already bound before the upgrade/downgrade they wouldn't need binding again. However until you rebind you'll see that whilst they work, the response is very jittery. Fine once rebound though.

I've left mine - for now - in the old firmware, mainly because I have two gliders with X4R rxs that are a little awkward to get to to do the upgrade.

Thanks for the info. Mine didn't work at all until they were re-bound.

Martyn K26/02/2015 22:16:58
4346 forum posts
2988 photos

Updated my Taranis and 3 X8R receivers tonight with the EU firmware. No real problems but the a-bus lead needs to have the pins reassigned for the Tx module upgrade.

Apart from that it's just a case of following instructions. Once the first one was done - no problem. Nothing needed rebinding either and telemetry is all ok

Thanks all all for the clear explanations

martyn

Martyn K27/02/2015 09:20:40
4346 forum posts
2988 photos

After reading the above posts, this morning I have done a rebind on both live X8R receivers, I haven't bothered with the V8's though.

I didn't notice any difference in the servo functionality or telemetry after I had done it though.

One thing I forgot to mention though. The X8R I bought in January was a 2014 pre EU firmware model.

Best wishes

Martyn

John Privett27/02/2015 22:04:47
5563 forum posts
219 photos

I modified a short extension lead (removed the +ve lead and swapped around the others) so I can use the two FrSky leads 'as-is' for rxs, and for the tx by adding the short extension lead. I'll also need to make up another lead for my X4R rxs before I eventually upgrade everything.

Interesting to see that some people found normal response before rebinding after upgrading - rather than the jittery response I initially had. It may be relevant that when I upgraded (and then downgraded) last month I had my WiFi router less than a metre away.

And the 8XR that I bought in January was also pre-EU firmware.

Stuart Ord28/02/2015 20:05:04
51 forum posts
11 photos

re Yes, you did, Chris. I'm not the world's best at reading instructions, being a firm aficionado of the "if all else fails, read the instructions" school. You'd think I'd have learned after 62 years, but there's another saying about old dogs and new tricks too. At least I'm just young enough to learn slowly!

Thanks again. My new R4Xs are now in models awaiting an opportunity to try them.

ted hughes01/03/2015 00:15:10
453 forum posts

Why not just buy Futaba? I know it is initially expensive, but you can avoid all this downloading of firmware nonsense.

Bob Cotsford01/03/2015 10:20:56
6813 forum posts
365 photos

How much Futaba gear will become redundant because of the new EU regs or restricted regarding buying new receivers? I know the most recent Futaba systems are supposed to be euro compliant but what about older 2.4 systems - did any have telemetry?

And how much is a Futaba 32 channel telemetry ready system again? How much a Futaba 8 channel + S-bus telemetry receiver?

ps - other than the EU regs, 'all this downloading' enables you to add new features as they are developed, and to apply bug fixes yourself instead of returning it to the dealer.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/03/2015 10:23:51

Merlin spit01/03/2015 10:42:48
431 forum posts
1 photos

**LINK** they had to do the same updates to some of their radios too.

firmware updates are good thing in my opinion if it means glitches can be fixed and improvements made or in this case keep the hardware compliant with new regs.

ted hughes01/03/2015 14:04:22
453 forum posts
Posted by Austenrover on 01/03/2015 10:42:48:

**LINK** they had to do the same updates to some of their radios too.

firmware updates are good thing in my opinion if it means glitches can be fixed and improvements made or in this case keep the hardware compliant with new regs.

I didn't know about these things. If I download a patch, how do I get it into my Tx or Rx?

Pete B - Moderator01/03/2015 15:04:05
7322 forum posts
694 photos

If you want advice on Futaba issues, please start a new thread in the Futaba section. This thread is for discussion of Frsky gear, ta.....smile

Pete

ted hughes02/03/2015 22:44:32
453 forum posts

Thanks Pete, but I don't have any issues at all with my futaba.That is why I was surprised to learn than people were updating their equipment. As a newbie, I am obviously concerned that I may be allowing my equipment to slide into obsolescence because I am not up-dating it.

Frank Skilbeck03/03/2015 17:03:15
3789 forum posts
91 photos

Sorry to interlude on a Frsky thread (but it is part Frsky related), Futaba did update their FAAST system and if you have a 14sg you can update to the new EU regs, the Futaba Faast rxs don't need to be updated, but if you are using the updated Futaba firmware you will need to update any Frsky FAAST compatible receivers that were imported before 1st Jan 2015.

Martyn K06/03/2015 15:32:31
4346 forum posts
2988 photos

Updated Martyn Coles' Transmitter, 3 X8 and 1 X4 receivers on Wednesday. The X4 was a bit of a pain as I had to make up a lead for the tiny s-port interface used on this Rx but apart from that - all OK, no problems. Worth noting though that all receivers had to be rebound afterwards so I guess that John P was correct.

All in all, it really is a non event - nothing really to worry about, just follow the instructions.

M

Sean Cull09/03/2015 23:08:55
3 forum posts

Thanks for the points above. Just to add a couple of points :

1) do not power your receiver from a battery. It will get power via the USB cable.

2) The software tool you need is a pig to find. Look for the “Upgrade Lite-S.Port Telemetry” under Download > Tools

3) Be careful – there seems to be both the original EU firmware and a “bug fixed” version of the firmware on the site.

Sean Cull10/03/2015 19:33:55
3 forum posts

Also note that any failsafe that you have needs to be reset after flashing the firmware

PeD16/03/2015 22:20:22
27 forum posts

Could someone advse please.

We've just tried updating the Tx module to the "EU" Frsky update and all I get after selecting the .frk file is

"device not found". After many attempts the msg. always appears.

We are getting the COM4 in the dropdown.

We've also just plugged the FUC unit into the PC and not plugged it into the Tx and also get the same msg.

If the FUC unit is not plugged into the PC and the "Sport" prog. run then COM4 dissapears from the dropdown.

So from this can we conclude that the "Sport" prog. recognises the FUC module but is not maybe "seeing" the Tx

module?

Cables checked for pin change over. OK

Tx switched on.OK

There is a ? in step 5: Power the radio on and ensure the internal RF module is powered.

Surely by switching "on" the radio the module is powered or are we missing something there.

Any advice appreciated

Martyn K17/03/2015 09:30:27
4346 forum posts
2988 photos

First check that the lead to the transmitter has the pins reassigned, basically you drop the 5V line and cross connect the signal and ground

Look at the instruction sheet from the download link above

When that is done, do not switch the Tx on until after you have selected the .frk file. When the Tx turns on, it should then be detected.

Good luck

M

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues