Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Laser engines. What do you want?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Piers Bowlan17/11/2017 06:22:43
1038 forum posts
30 photos

The problem of potential litigation not to mention certification is a huge step change in costs associated with man carrying aircraft (Microlights). I wonder if Laser have looked at the vast market for small UAV engines. With Lasers legendary reputation for reliability and longevity I wonder whether a 100cc or 150cc v-twin petrol would be viable if you were able to invest the time and money in a commercial product for this market?

cymaz17/11/2017 06:38:22
7105 forum posts
942 photos
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 17/11/2017 06:22:43:

The problem of potential litigation not to mention certification is a huge step change in costs associated with man carrying aircraft (Microlights). I wonder if Laser have looked at the vast market for small UAV engines. With Lasers legendary reputation for reliability and longevity I wonder whether a 100cc or 150cc v-twin petrol would be viable if you were able to invest the time and money in a commercial product for this market?

A firm like Rotax has probably got the market sewn up for that one

Piers Bowlan17/11/2017 07:39:22
1038 forum posts
30 photos

That is a fascinating video Cymaz. I was really thinking of somewhat smaller engines like this sort of thing, which I think is not really Rotax's market although they do make small 2 stroke go-cart and snowmobile engines amongst others. But you are right, there is a lot of competition out there, here.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/11/2017 08:08:51

Jon Harper - Laser Engines17/11/2017 11:27:09
3188 forum posts
131 photos

I wondered what happened to bolly. Bit of a shame really :/

As for UAV engines its a great idea, most likely an expanding market too. If we were approached by a company i would be eager to give it a go. We would have to seriously restructure and up our production though, not that i consider that a bad thing in any way.

Manish Chandrayan17/11/2017 11:29:56
323 forum posts
50 photos

I remember reading on Bolly site they had to go into liquidation due to legal action arising out of a failed prop on a manned aircraft

Percy Verance17/11/2017 14:17:59
5716 forum posts
108 photos

It's a shame that happened, Bolly were very good props. I preferred them over APC........ and they offered *half* sizes too.

Martin Harris17/11/2017 15:55:43
7199 forum posts
178 photos

To get back to Lasers, I'm no business guru but as a customer, the USP of Laser is the hand built nature and approachable support provided by John and Neil (although he's taken a back seat of late).

I remember a TV program presented by a well regarded captain of industry, Sir John Harvey-Jones where he took Morgan Cars to task for retaining their policy of hand building their cars in a traditional style and forecast their demise within a short timescale. While not my cup of tea (I can't stand that that flat, soft, time-wasting opium of the masses either!) time appears to have vindicated their refusal to modernise and upscale their production and to buy one, you still need to put your name on a waiting list.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/11/2017 15:56:47

Jon Harper - Laser Engines17/11/2017 16:42:45
3188 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 17/11/2017 15:55:43:

To get back to Lasers, I'm no business guru but as a customer, the USP of Laser is the hand built nature and approachable support provided by John and Neil (although he's taken a back seat of late).

I remember a TV program presented by a well regarded captain of industry, Sir John Harvey-Jones where he took Morgan Cars to task for retaining their policy of hand building their cars in a traditional style and forecast their demise within a short timescale. While not my cup of tea (I can't stand that that flat, soft, time-wasting opium of the masses either!) time appears to have vindicated their refusal to modernise and upscale their production and to buy one, you still need to put your name on a waiting list.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/11/2017 15:56:47

This approach is unsustainable for us which is why I have changed it.

Simply put, nobody cares any more where a product comes from or how its made. All they want is it in their hand in the shortest possible time.

Ii appreciate that this does not apply to everyone, but it applies to enough people for it to mean the old way no longer works, not that it ever did really work in the first place.

Martin Harris17/11/2017 17:03:47
7199 forum posts
178 photos

As I understand it, the change you've implemented relates to the supply chain - my main point is the careful evolution of the basic design of the product, skilled assembly and personal touch is the USP and I didn't mean to imply that the waiting list was a desirable feature - just a measure of the demand that is still being stimulated by the unique hand built traditional nature of the Morgan products in a niche market.

Should you be tempted to expand production and range by mass production, automation and/or sub-contracting as some seem to advocate, I feel that you would be in danger of becoming "just another" engine maker but I do realise this is just my personal view and meant as nothing more than an observation.

Jon Harper - Laser Engines17/11/2017 17:27:29
3188 forum posts
131 photos

Perhaps I misunderstood.

We will always take calls and offer the service we do now, and it is very unlikely we would ever sub anything out. That said, even if we did I would like to think that the design of our engine and service we give would still be sufficient to set us apart from other mass produced engines.

In the current market I'm afraid I cannot get caught up in nostalgia and need to make decisions based upon what is good for the business and in simple terms that means sales.

The idea is to offer the clean/hassle free click boom amazon style order for those who want it, and still cater for those who want to call in and chew the fat on their latest model and which engine is going to be best.

If I can balance both, and have engines in stock, while maintaining the levels of quality we are known for we will be ok

Geoff Sleath17/11/2017 17:31:01
2065 forum posts
116 photos
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 17/11/2017 11:27:09:

I wondered what happened to bolly. Bit of a shame really :/

As for UAV engines its a great idea, most likely an expanding market too. If we were approached by a company i would be eager to give it a go. We would have to seriously restructure and up our production though, not that i consider that a bad thing in any way.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that RCV engines were used for smaller UAV.

Geoff

Don Fry17/11/2017 17:48:11
1879 forum posts
25 photos

My old Laser 75 was let down by its receiver. It plunged from a hundred meters. I dug it out. Cleaned it. ( swilled the crap off) .

Stuck it in a new airframe.

There is a lot going for no castings, delicate bits behind metal.

It's a good marketing tool.

Percy Verance17/11/2017 18:39:33
5716 forum posts
108 photos

At least you've never got caught up the waiting list game like Morgan Jon. Some people were - maybe still are?- putting their name on the waiting list for a Morgan even when they didn't actually want it. Theyd then take the car once complete, and sell it for a profit to someone also on the list, but perhaps a couple of years behind them.....

Jon Harper - Laser Engines17/11/2017 19:33:24
3188 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 18:39:33:

At least you've never got caught up the waiting list game like Morgan Jon. Some people were - maybe still are?- putting their name on the waiting list for a Morgan even when they didn't actually want it. Theyd then take the car once complete, and sell it for a profit to someone also on the list, but perhaps a couple of years behind them.....

One customer has done this to us. Bought some engines for 300 quid and we saw one of them on ebay for 1400. We wont be selling to him again.

Percy Verance17/11/2017 20:05:57
5716 forum posts
108 photos

Oh dear......... sad

Just what you don't need.....

Geoff Sleath17/11/2017 20:11:37
2065 forum posts
116 photos

Ah, but did it sell?

I admit I bought both the Warbirds Replica Hurricane kit and the Laser 80 to power it partly because I had a pretty good idea that they were as good as money in the bank (particularly with interest rates as they are ). However I have every intention of using both myself ... but the road to Hell and all that (though that may actually catch up with me. I'm getting on LOL)

Geoff

ChrisB17/11/2017 21:45:43
1095 forum posts
32 photos

I've had new and old Saitos, several ASP and an OS and non compare to the 4 lasers I've had. I've currently got a 200 and 300 which are both faultless and I had an 80 which I sold with an airframe. I've also recently acquired a very old 61, which runs very well in a Majestic Major.

When you look at price, quality and service and you want a 4s glow then it's a Laser every time.

Percy Verance17/11/2017 22:19:15
5716 forum posts
108 photos

That's about it in a nutshell Chris. There are few model four stroke engines which are as good all round as a Laser. The newer Saitos probably come closer than most, but just don't look at spares prices........surprise

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/11/2017 22:24:09

Paul james 817/11/2017 22:38:57
64 forum posts
8 photos

Just finished rebuilding my first Laser engine, a 75 which I had to do a bit of work on, I've now bought a Balsa USA Bristol M1 kit to build and put it in so that should work well.

Hope the company can keep going and prosper!

bert baker18/11/2017 07:45:43
898 forum posts
192 photos

How about a retro fit petrol conversion kit,a certain mini motor chap does them, but there again I suppose doing so would void al warranty on a motor sold for use with glow fuel.

Can you give me time to pop out for some popcorn and refreshments before answering,

Edited By bert baker on 18/11/2017 07:47:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues