Tom Sharp 219/11/2017 20:19:51
2512 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Ernie on 19/11/2017 14:33:37:

Hi Guys

Smell? when SWIMBO needs a special favour, she wears CASTOR OIL no 5

ernie

laugh

What does she wear when she's got a headache?

cymaz19/11/2017 20:32:37
7105 forum posts
942 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 19/11/2017 20:19:51:
Posted by Ernie on 19/11/2017 14:33:37:

Hi Guys

Smell? when SWIMBO needs a special favour, she wears CASTOR OIL no 5

ernie

laugh

What does she wear when she's got a headache?

Mine wears a frown face 8

Martin Harris22/11/2017 00:24:16
7199 forum posts
178 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 19/11/2017 11:25:15:

I'm not sure if it's me or the changes in the additives over the years but I find the smell of petrol quite unpleasant, these days, even to the point of feeling physically unsettled if I'm exposed to too much of the fumes. I certainly don't recall these effects back in the heady days when 5 star was still available and lead-free was just a nasty rumour from the other side of the pond...

I had a slight problem with my petrol model last week - the engine was almost cutting in knife edge on one side so the logical assumption was a clunk problem - perhaps stiffened clunk tubing as it was a bit chilly that day?

Just to amuse you lot, this evening I decided to investigate and went to drain the tank. I got a nice syphon running from the tank to my fuel can but it stopped before the tank emptied, so I propped the model nose down and went to re-start the draining. The pipe popped out at the filler - fuel started pouring on to the bench so I made a grab for the end of the pipe - knocked the fuel can off the bench on to the floor - quickly grabbed the can to set it upright - dropped the end of the filler - stemmed the flow again and finally plugged the filler.

Result - petrol all over the bench, the garage floor and my jeans. Guess what my garage smells like now? There's a faint whiff in the utility room where the jeans quickly disappeared into the washing machine too.

Moral - drain the fuel tank in daylight when I can do it outdoors and start looking into Aspen more seriously!

Jon Harper - Laser Engines22/11/2017 10:28:36
3188 forum posts
131 photos

I found that when stripping down walbro's the little bit of fuel left in them seemed to go everywhere and really stank out the place. The aspen was so much better in this regard.

I would caution you on one aspect of using aspen and that is your perception of it. I have on more than one occasion been fiddling with a tank or a pipe or whatever and had fuel all over my hands or trickling up my arm and dripping off my elbow all over the floor. If this was petrol i would have been in a state of panic and almost sure i was about to go up like a torch. With the aspen however i didnt get that feeling as even though its just as dangerous. My assumption is that the lack of smell made me forget it was petrol, and as it wasnt freezing cold on my skin i didnt have the reaction i would have had if it was glow fuel. Just something to remember.

Martin Harris22/11/2017 11:34:26
7199 forum posts
178 photos

Good point - there's nothing like the stench of petrol soaked clothing to remind you that you're one spark away from becoming a human fireball!

Don Fry22/11/2017 12:11:23
1879 forum posts
25 photos

I have been worried about Martin's future all morning. Those fuel soaked jeans in the washing machine might well leave enough odour to make madam's lingerie smelling like an old motorbike. Flowers and warning, or pleading needed. If the wash has taken place, nose the washing machine.

Geoff Sleath22/11/2017 12:31:46
2065 forum posts
116 photos

I've only got a couple of petrol engines and I haven't had any fuel-type problems with them at all. I have 2 breather tubes coming out of the tank top that curve down to exit at the bottom of the model. I use one for filling and the other as a breather. I never drain the tanks and for storage/transport just join the 2 breathers together and the smell is virtually nil.

As for fuel spillage my main involvement with petrol has been with mostly old (ie 1930 to 1965) motor cycles. The Amal carburettors were pretty crude (though not as crude as glow engine carbs) and leakage wasn't uncommon; indeed the usual starting practice was to 'tickle' the carb (ie hold the float down with the provided plunger) and flood it so that petrol dripped out onto whatever was beneath it (sometimes the magneto!). I never had a problem and I don't know anyone who has. In fact I use petrol a lot as a cleaning fluid (outside, of course) for dirty oily pedal cycle components. For that purpose, it's very cheap.

Geoff

Tom Sharp 222/11/2017 21:10:13
2512 forum posts
12 photos

I've got an Amal carburettor on my Lister barn engine, push the plunger, flood it and start it.

Martin Harris23/11/2017 13:11:42
7199 forum posts
178 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 22/11/2017 12:11:23:

I have been worried about Martin's future all morning. Those fuel soaked jeans in the washing machine might well leave enough odour to make madam's lingerie smelling like an old motorbike. Flowers and warning, or pleading needed. If the wash has taken place, nose the washing machine.

Please set your mind at rest, Don and I do appreciate the concern, but I've managed to climb out of the last pit of doo-doo that I dug myself and am on firm ground (although mindful of its narrowness) at the present time. In terms of lingering odours, as she took immediate command of the jeans and performed her wifely duties in the washing machine department, I have the vestiges of a counter argument (which would no doubt stand up easily in a court of law but will need a great deal of skilled debate and luck if I need to use it) should the whiff get a mention!

Martin Harris26/11/2017 00:29:58
7199 forum posts
178 photos

Had to have a little smirk today - cold day at the field and on the start line were two petrol models, an electric and my SC120 FS glow engined pattern ship. There was much starter motor whirring from one petrol engine, hand flicking sounds from the other and the beeps of the electric model arming.

After fuelling my model, I attached the glow, touched the electric starter's switch and the engine burst into life. After a short warm up, found I needed 2 clicks richer due to the temperature change since I last flew the model some weeks ago and carried it to the flight line to see the electric model touching down - its battery had lasted less than 2 circuits...

Had a lovely flight with the engine performing faultlessly.

Back in the pits, found one petrol still refusing to run - the other the same but now being churned over with a starter. To be fair, one was a new installation and seemed to have fuel flow problems (fired on a prime) and the other seemed to have developed an ignition fault since it was last used...but I departed to the clubhouse for a coffee with a warm glow - in both senses of the words!

smile d

Jon Harper - Laser Engines26/11/2017 10:18:42
3188 forum posts
131 photos

SC120? wash your mouth out

ASH.26/11/2017 11:47:46
164 forum posts

Martin, I can't understand where your where your last post has disappeared to and why!
It made me smile though, I know the glowing feeling we have with our simple method of propulsion.. Can't beat it!
Martin Harris26/11/2017 13:06:05
7199 forum posts
178 photos

I think there might be some site problems - just noticed on another thread that the OP has disappeared, although I can still see my previous post.

Jon - it's only by having experience with lesser products that we can appreciate the quality of Lasers - but to be fair, a good example of the SC/ASP range can give pretty good service for the price - although I did spot noticeable wear on the faces of the valve stems of my ASP 180 after only moderate use.

Manish Chandrayan26/11/2017 14:20:51
323 forum posts
50 photos
Carbs on the SC/ASP/Magnum is another area requiring attention. Often an OS unit is drop in replacement making these much better engines.
Martin Harris26/11/2017 16:18:14
7199 forum posts
178 photos

...or some decent quality O rings as they are often at the root of carburation problems.

bert baker26/11/2017 17:33:54
898 forum posts
192 photos

How long before we can hear about the 180, coming into production, is there any data avalible yet , prop sizes, RPM range, I have used the old and new 150's in my Stampes, but have moved to the Zenoah g38 on mag,

Any idea how the 180 will compare to the Z38

Alan Hilton27/11/2017 09:22:51
38 forum posts

Hi Jon

A 50/60cc single would be good if you could price below Vlatch .I would go for a glow but I suspect Most would prefer Petrol .There are a lot of large models with narrow cowls and few 4strokes in the required power band

Alan

Jon Harper - Laser Engines27/11/2017 10:26:08
3188 forum posts
131 photos

To be fair Martin you are quite right. For the price ASP engines cannot be beaten and i have recommended them to guys in my club who want a cheap 50 size 4 stroke for their trainer or as an intro into IC. One chap in particular got fed up with the mess and unreliability of his 46 2 stroke and went for the 52 asp 4 stroke instead. The model flew better, flew longer (fuel consumption and reliability), made less mess and was generally very nice. Sure the engine i half shot after 2 years flying, but thats the price you pay.

Bert, details of the 180 petrol are scattered about the thread but in general you are looking at performance that is identical to our 180 glow in almost every way. On small props its a tiny bit slower, on large props a tiny bit faster. Vibration is a bit lower, the sound is slightly more of a crackle on the ground but is quieter in the air. I am targeting the spring for full release but it depends how the pre production engines fare over the winter. Finger crossed it will all run smoothly.

Alan, way ahead of you. I wanted an engine for my DB Hurricane and thought a 50cc long(ish) stroke motor would do the job so i designed one to fit. Once the 180, 155, 360, 300 and perhaps my radial are done it will be on to the larger size. Not a clue of the time frame im afraid but i will be pushing to get it done.

David P Williams27/11/2017 11:42:37
665 forum posts
258 photos
I'll leave my TopFlite 1/5 85" P51 in the box for a while longer then Jon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues