Forum sponsored by CML

Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

HD having no relation w/ HiDef but simply Hybrid Depron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696928/12/2016 18:06:06
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Thank you for visiting and for your comments, gentlemen.

And no apologies needed, Vince. You're absolutely not "hijacking" the blog.

If you're into 'lost foam glassing', let me admit that I never really had some experience with it. I always made composite parts that needed several final items, so always worked with female molds like I did for the Bella's cowl.

Regarding dissolving the foam, I should have give the same answer as Andrew, being acetone. I don't know what kind of 'filler foam' you are using of course, but you could try cellulose thinner as well. Some types of foam can even be dissolved with simple automotive petrol.

Concerning paint on foam, if you use a water based acrylic paint or varnish, you won't arm anything.

The blue foam I use for my wing tips comes from an artist/craft shop, used by architects to create building models as you can give it any shape you want. In Europe it is used for insulation as well, sometimes coloured pink or green. If you can't find any, try to locate a builder of RVs. They use dense foam for insulation of the walls of caravans or motorhomes.

If that doesn't help, you could always laminate some Depron sheets together with foam safe glue. Try to avoid UHU Por at he edges though as it sands horribly. I just experienced it by laminating my wing tips. blush

Maybe using Gorilla Glue and keeping some pressure to the bits while drying. You can even apply a coat of varnish to the sanded item to close the pores before you start glassing.

Since you asked about the Depron plus composites, I'm just experimenting. The problem with Depron is that even when you're just 'looking' at it, it gets 'hangar rash' already. Hence the glass + acrylic varnish to make it somewhat ding free. If you use polyester or finishing resin the result is stronger but a lot heavier. After some testing, I'm now using a very hard drying 'marine' acrylic varnish and it works really great.

I have still to test it but applying some Freddie B Sauce to the glassing as I explained earlier in my thread, could even give it a nice 'scalish look' finish without any major weight penalty.

@ Andrew > If you're still a non builder/flyer, don't worry, but just give it a try. Even with a very cheap balsa kit - I bought an Idol kit from HK at €16,- during a Cybersale - or a Flite Test foamie. Just do it. You know yo want it... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Acrylic Control

McG 696929/12/2016 19:37:46
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Hello to everyone,

I finally managed ‘once again’ to have a bit of ‘very’ slow progression. blush

2035_wing_preparing_900.jpg

The TE of the port wing has been sanded to shape together with the tip rib and the LE was glued on at the entire span.

The wing is now ready to accept both tips but first those had to receive some filler for the ‘Por cut outs’ and be further ‘profile’ sanded.

2037_wingtip_weight_900.jpg

When the first one was done, I remembered my responsibilities towards our Weight Manager and had a go for the scale. As it is 18gr now, I could estimate that, with the foam that still has to be sanded down at the back and at the rib side, the final weight will be around 12>13gr. yes

Possibly my sanding skills are reaching a kind of supernatural level or - more realistically - it must have been my 'Lucky Day' without any doubt, but the second tip came out at precisely… 18gr as well. surprise

2042_wingtip_duoweight_900.jpg

I think I could easily get used to have some more of those ‘Lucky Days’… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Reality Control

McG 696930/12/2016 20:07:36
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Hi everyone,

It’s about time now to definitely glue the wing tips into position.

2044_wingtip_gluing_900.jpg

Nothing much to tell about this, except maybe that I used Pattex Styropor instead of UHU Por. As you can imagine, I had some testing done beforehand and the Pattex works very nicely and is thankfully a lot less rubbery than the Por if some sanding is needed. I have no idea of the chemical composition, but another difference is the white colour instead of transparent and the fact that it cures faster as well.

I tried several times to obtain a better picture showing the ‘dihedral’ of the tip at the TE, but I’m afraid this is the best angle I could get so far. angel

2050_wingtip_angle_900.jpg

Well, it’s obvious now that there will not be any ‘bench flying’ in Christmas spirit or Season’s sparks and firework, but that’s unfortunately the way it is. Still on track though with the Bella for Greenacres… 2018. yes question

I do have a slight feeling that the blog’s visitors don’t really like my wing tips as since the beginning of showing pictures of them, the comments remain very few… but then maybe everybody started building their MB Skywriters already. surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pattex Control

Peter Miller30/12/2016 21:05:53
9007 forum posts
1040 photos
10 articles

Just because we don't go into raptures over the tips doesn't mean we don't like them.

They are nice wing tips and custimze the wing the way you like it.

Normally as far as I am concerned the tips are merely there to stop the wing fraying at the end.

Mark Elen30/12/2016 21:41:11
327 forum posts
577 photos

Hi Chris,

Those tips look great. I'm really not looking forward to the built up version of those. If mine look half as good as yours I will be very happy.

Regards

Mark

WolstonFlyer30/12/2016 21:43:20
2104 forum posts
189 photos

Hi Chris, I am still here reading your blog when I get chance, it is looking great!

Colin Leighfield30/12/2016 22:01:36
5381 forum posts
2207 photos

Nothing wrong with those Chris, proper job. I'm all for introducing a bit of originality into these builds, apart from individuality it gives you a chance to try out different ideas.

Simon Chaddock31/12/2016 00:13:46
5123 forum posts
2671 photos

Chris

They look fine to me. wink 2

Is still a bit of sanding to do?

Will you do this before or after the tip is fixed in place?

If after will you be able to avoid marking the Depron wing surface?

Don't worry - just me playing devils advocate!

Rosco31/12/2016 04:24:37
448 forum posts
386 photos
I'm still here too! Work..work..and more work has kept me busy but I have been watching.

Tips look good, weight looks good, so all in all, it's looking good!!!

Keep it up my friend.

Rosco
McG 696931/12/2016 10:49:20
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Thank you all for your comments, gents.

@ Peter > Not so sure if I understand your “fraying” correctly, but I suppose it has something to do with the ‘battle’ between the low & high pressure layers at the tip?

@ Mark > Looking at the quality of your build so far, you won’t have too much of a problem with your wingtips. Now, I wouldn’t really dream of having a build up version of my foam ones though. On a side note, I was sóó envious regarding your Easy Touch sander that I’ve ordered one myself. yes

@ Wolston > Have you made some Ballerina progress lately?

@ Colin > A “bit of originality” was indeed what I was looking for with the Islander-ish tips, but then it makes my progress so much slower again. blush

@ Simon > You’re allowed to be ‘my’ devils advocate as often as you like as it makes me ‘pondering’ about things. So, yes there is still some final sanding to be done now that the wings tips are glued on. I’ll try to be very careful with the Depron by covering it with layers of masking tape before gently ‘talking’ to the wall sander sponge. Promised. angel But that will be a job for 'next year'...

By the way, have you been using the Pattex Styropor already?

@ Rosco > I’m quite happy myself with the weight of the tips, but glad to see it confirmed by the Weight Manager himself.  wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Thank You Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 31/12/2016 10:51:19

Peter Miller31/12/2016 11:12:46
9007 forum posts
1040 photos
10 articles

If you do not have a neat hem on cloth it frays.The suggestion that wing tips might fray without a tip is supposed to be humorous. Sorry. Just something that I have said for many years

Rosco31/12/2016 11:23:58
448 forum posts
386 photos
......and the wingtips do seem to get a beating! A few cartwheels or some tip scrapes on some landings and you'll soon scuff them up. Hangar rash and transport gets them too.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 31/12/2016 11:24:58

McG 696931/12/2016 11:27:59
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Thank you for the explanation, Peter.

I really didn't know it is synonymous to 'raveling' and sorry for not understanding the 'smiley note' of it right away.

I guess it can be inherent to a non native language.

Cheers

Chris

McG 696931/12/2016 11:33:25
2052 forum posts
870 photos

You must be totally right, Rosco.

But please, allow me not to think at those kind of arrivals/rashes at the moment. surprise

Right now I'm trying to keep my concentration at... Nice wishes, Sparks and Champagne Bubbles... wink

Cheers

Chris

Rosco31/12/2016 11:40:43
448 forum posts
386 photos
It's 10:10pm December the 31st here and I'm going to bed soon. I have to work tomorrow and I can't have any alcohol in my system. I can probably get away with one beer tonight but that's about it!

Enjoy your celebrations. Happy New Year to you

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 31/12/2016 11:41:17

McG 696931/12/2016 16:25:47
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Hello to everybody,

Gaston is joining me to wish you all a very sparkling year 2017

sparkling_new_year_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Champagne Control

WolstonFlyer31/12/2016 16:45:02
2104 forum posts
189 photos

No not made any progress recently, I am flat out with work, 3 kids and trying to sell my house at the moment. I did join the wings together and build the wing tips, I have to do the sheeting next.

McG 696901/01/2017 18:54:45
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Household commitments should remain first priority, WF. No doubt about that.

If you can have some progress later on you will finally get there for sure. And this 'new year' just started, so keep your faith, young man. smiley

As for me, today was a day off at La Grotte, but at least I was a little 'productive' as I made some sketches for a LE sanding block for the finishing work to come.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Champagne #2 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 01/01/2017 18:58:34

McG 696902/01/2017 20:52:35
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Hello again,

I do hope you all had a pretty fine start of this new year.

Back to La Grotte and to the wing tips, being well convinced that the festive weekend allowed the Pattex to dry sufficiently. angel

Before taking care of the messy part, the ailerons positions were marked to be cut before I’ll start the glassing process later on.

2053_winting_sanding01_900.jpg

Here is the result for the bottom side of the port wingtip.

2060_wingtip_sanding02_900.jpg

And the top side of the wing. Although it doesn’t seem to be - by looking at the pictures - I had a quite busy afternoon ‘final’ sanding down both wingtips. But then of course, I also realize I’m ‘tóó’ slow…

2067_wingtip_sanding03_900.jpg

Next will be the sanding of the LE but before that I have to finalize my homemade LE sanding ‘jig’…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR LE Jig Control

Colin Leighfield02/01/2017 20:57:25
5381 forum posts
2207 photos

Looking super neat Chris.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues