10 articles

Hi Chris

THanks for that. I will keep my eyes open

Peter

McG 696908/01/2017 20:47:20
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Hello to all,

Not that much to show and neither to tell, but still going on with the good old “Purple Plan”.

The ailerons were cut out of the wing with a surprisingly acceptable result without even a glance of an ‘oops’. wink

The edges were then sanded down and next job was now to add some triangular reinforcement/protection at the side ends of the ailerons and to the inside edges of the cut out in the wing.

2082_wing_aileron01_900.jpg

Especially the outboard side of Depron at the wingtip is particularly ‘fragile’. I used some scrap 1,2mm Delinite in the wing and 1,5mm balsa at the aileron ends. The latter will be easy to sand down to adjust the final spacing. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Aileron Control

john stones 108/01/2017 21:14:10
8095 forum posts
1308 photos

Just dropped by to make sure you wasn't slacking wink

Nice looking aileron you have there, nice even gaps and very accurate yes

John

Peter Miller09/01/2017 08:16:44
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles
Posted by john stones 1 on 08/01/2017 21:14:10:

Just dropped by to make sure you wasn't slacking wink

Nice looking aileron you have there, nice even gaps and very accurate yes

John

I was thinking the same thing!!

McG 696909/01/2017 12:27:00
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Thanks for your comments, gents.

No slacking for me, John. My Season's Champagne diet is already past time since a while. angel

Thinking "the same thing", Peter? Do you mean the "slacking" or the "nice even gaps"? wink

By the way, I hope you can recover and feel better very soon.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Thoughts Control

Peter Miller09/01/2017 18:12:59
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Nice gaps.

McG 696909/01/2017 21:10:29
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Thank you regarding the ‘gaps’, Peter. wink

Hey to all,

As the starboard parts were dry now, I could go on with the sanding and adjustment of the second aileron inserts.

2087_wing_aileron02_900.jpg

It looks like I should start building the ‘second’ needed item right away each time. surprise

The second aileron was apparently easier to prepare and the adjustments are more accurate. Still that ‘learning curve’, I suppose…

2091_wing_aileron03_900.jpg

Next will be to bevel the LE and start installing the hinges.

I have a question, please. As I already used some ‘pin’ hinges for the rudder, my intention is to use some ‘pivot’ hinges for the ailerons. I noticed that on some build blogs the receiving parts - both the TE of the wing & the aileron LE - had some kind of countersink allowing the hinge knuckle to be still centred but allowing to reduce the gap between the parts at neutral position. Is this system OK to use in my case? Thanks in advance.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Hinge Control

Peter Miller10/01/2017 08:35:07
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Yes that should be fine.

Now, the best way to mark theholes for the pivotpoint hinges.

Mark the location for the hinges on one surfece, it can be the wing or the aileron. and drill 1/5mm holes on those points

Now take 2 small nails, cutthe head off and solder a stop (washer, bit of tinplate etc) about two or three mm fron the point and insert into the1.5 mm holes. (if usung more that two hingea make enough nails up)

With the nails in place put the wing ona fat surface and slide the aileron into place and press together

You will now have small dents exactly where you drill the holes in the other part. This will give youa perfect hinge line.

McG 696910/01/2017 11:19:07
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Very kind of you, Peter.

Fine then, I will try to reduce the inter-planes gap as much as possible.

Funny enough, I was pondering about the same kind of method to align the pin holes but using 2mm BBQ skewers. Your “nail” suggestion is better though except that my ‘poor’ 20W soldering iron will probably not be up to the job. Maybe with a plastic or wooden washer and a drop of glue.

Thanks again regarding your counsels.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Nail Control

Peter Miller10/01/2017 13:46:11
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Any washer will do, just to hold the nail a liitle proud of the hole.

A 20 watt iron should be fine though if you try.

McG 696910/01/2017 20:16:45
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Hello again,

I left for La Grotte before receiving your message, Peter. So I did not even try the soldering iron, I’m afraid. blush

I didn’t had any 1,5mm nails so I went for 2mm which should be OK as my pivot hinges are 3mm. I also found some scrap bits of PU mouldings that will fit as washers. Nails & washers are curing at the moment.

I also did sand the bevel, drilled both ailerons, made the countersinks as well with a Dremel grinding bit at very low revs and all should be ready to ‘mark’ the holes in the wing… very soon now. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Progress Control

McG 696911/01/2017 19:11:21
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Hi again,

Some unplanned household commitments combined with some urgent ‘model’ shopping - as one is certainly not allowed to have some empty Por tubes - made my session at La Grotte not possible during the day. angel

It will only allow Peter’s pinhole ‘nails’ to be fully cured for the next ‘Operation Aileron’… smiley

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Cured Nails Control

Simon Chaddock12/01/2017 00:29:37
4814 forum posts
2479 photos

In the carpentry trade the items Peter describes are called "dowel pins". wink 2.

Peter Miller12/01/2017 09:39:11
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Simon reminded me of a similar dodge.

To amr out holes on two facine pieces of wood you laid tintacs on one surfects, place the oter on top and thumped it witha mallet, You then had two marks for the pilot drll.

Peter Miller12/01/2017 09:39:12
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Simon reminded me of a similar dodge.

To amr out holes on two facine pieces of wood you laid tintacs on one surfects, place the oter on top and thumped it witha mallet, You then had two marks for the pilot drll.

McG 696912/01/2017 10:39:52
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Hi gents.

I didn't recall the name for those "dowel pins", Simon. But I have some 3 & 6mm lying around somewhere. It's like a piece of brass rod with a collar on top followed by a sharp conical top end. That's what made me think of the pointed skewers that I planned originally.

Your "dodge" seems very similar, Peter. Except that I have no idea what your "tintacs" are? blush

I know about 'tic-tacs', but not that sure that would work with the mallet... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tic-Tac Control

Peter Miller12/01/2017 10:46:14
8092 forum posts
886 photos
10 articles

Tintacks are very short, sharp nails about 6mm long with a flat head about 5mm across and, as the name implies, are intended to nail thin tin sheet down.

Not sure where they would be used today but that is it.

McG 696912/01/2017 17:24:34
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Thank you lightening up my ignorance, Peter.

I think I saw those some moons ago used in vintage/classic cars to attach some metal body parts to a wooden inner structure. Possibly one of those early Morgans.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Morgan Control

McG 696912/01/2017 20:29:11
1366 forum posts
620 photos

Hello again,

Back to the Bella and the now already famous ‘pinhole nails’. yes

As I mentioned earlier, I used some scrap bits of PU mouldings, had them drilled & rounded off at one end and glued to the ‘decapitated’ nails.

2094_wing_hingenails_900.jpg

Both ailerons were presented to the wing kept equally spaced with some plastic cards and slightly pressed again the balsa to leave some marks.

2101_wing_hingenails01_900.jpg

I think the obtained accuracy is really worth having the ‘pinhole nails’ made as they will be very welcome for my next build as well…

2106_wing_hingenails02_900.jpg

I also started to cut some fibreglass for the wing and ailerons. I must say that I like to work with composites but as my experience was full size mainly, I’m not really into this lightweight stuff that refuses to stay ‘square’, especially when that static electricity starts to creep in it... frown

The Sellotape trick works quite well but still. I’ll be happy to start the glassing itself, but more about that later.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pinhole Control

Andy G.13/01/2017 08:20:19
246 forum posts
124 photos

Just had a fit of the giggles imagining Chris whacking tic-tacs with a mallet!!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
Skip Model April
SHREK
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us