By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

finishing my BT 61.5 Corsair

a rework of the smaller less modeled F4U Corsair.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rich214/05/2016 08:40:14
2091 forum posts
612 photos

Good progress, puts my efforts to shame!

Shane Sunday05/06/2016 21:47:43
302 forum posts
125 photos

Hello Rich thank you. I saw your post a while ago but was quite busy. Im a bit embarrassed to say that the Corsair has been put back on the shelf. Two reasons really. 1 is that I'm this close to completing my BT 61 inch Mustang and I'd like another propeller driven aircraft to fly this season. The other reason is that we are going away for a month to Canada. So the Mustang should fly next sunday with any luck and the corsair build will recommence on my return in july. Thanks for watching guys.

Shane Sunday31/12/2016 14:02:40
302 forum posts
125 photos

OK it's Going on January but I have cleaned the building board ( ISH ) and the Corsair build has recomenced. I never liked the way I attempted the tail wheel before and I'm in the process of tearing it out and figureing out how it will be done. Pics to follow. So near the finish line. Time to get my finger out.

Shane Sunday01/01/2017 22:13:32
302 forum posts
125 photos

I hope everyone has had a safe and happy new year. 2016 has an awful lot to answer for and lets hope 2017 is much better.

ive started reworking the tail wheel. The last one was flimsy and chunky with a horrible application for controlling both the tail and rudder. My new idea will hopefully be sleeker, stronger, lighter and smoother opperation. Heres a couple pics so far.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nev04/01/2017 23:22:25
537 forum posts
193 photos

Hi Shane.

Just found this thread and watching with interest as they say.

Seriously thinking about building one of these myself, so looking forward to the updates.

Nev.

onetenor05/01/2017 03:03:58
848 forum posts
Posted by Shane Sunday on 30/04/2016 21:44:01:

Thanks for looking in Dave. I have to remind myself that slow and steady wins the race. I've been plodding away at the belly pan. I've made it from blue foam cut using Hotwire and formers from Brian's plan. It worked great but I forgot to take into account the shape of the lower wing so one step forward and two back. I've also attached the wing and found a considerable gap near the LE between the fuse and the wing. It seems I wasn't much of a builder 5 years ago. So I've got to fill this gap but do I use balsa? Depron? Or an epoxy goop mixture. I think it was micro balloons? Unsure how to proceed. I do know I've got to get this wing glassed soon or else it'll mainly be light weight filler. 😉

Baby powder/talc works well for the goop and is cheap

Shane Sunday05/01/2017 14:51:19
302 forum posts
125 photos

thanks for looking in guys. Nev you should deffinately build one. I'f I can help I will. It's not the eaiest build in the world.

Onetener, I think the gap is a bit more than talc would be able to fill. I'll try and see first.

here are a couple pics of the tail wheel and rudder setup. I've switched form the clumsy bent wire idea I had years ago and opted for a pull pull system. I'm betting it works. Now I'm no Danny Fenton or John R so my work is stand back scale.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nev06/01/2017 21:27:17
537 forum posts
193 photos

Rarther foolishly I ordered some retracts, thinking I can't build one without them.

They arrived today and after playing with them for a while I may now be committed.

I like the little tail wheel.

Nev

Shane Sunday06/01/2017 22:17:18
302 forum posts
125 photos

You're in for it now nev. You'll be hooked in and clinging to forums for as much info as you can find. Its life threatening. Hahaha. Which plan are you going to go from? This one needed lots of reworking to fit retracts.

Nev06/01/2017 23:05:22
537 forum posts
193 photos

Tell me about it.

Haven't got as far as getting the plan yet but it will probably be this one though. I like the size but couldn't face building it with fixed undercarriage.

I'll need to crib of your build and try and save some weight somewhere and the photos of the retract mounts will be usefull. So plenty of photos please, I will be watching.

It'll be a while yet as I have to clear the bench first but any good build threads you've come across, I'm all ears.

Nev.

Shane Sunday07/01/2017 23:47:53
302 forum posts
125 photos

I've enjoyed building from this plan. Most people say his 82 inch model is far better and more worth while building. I'm just hoping my changes work and allow my wing to not only be strong but my retracts to be sturdy and reliable.ive spent the last couple days getting the tail end sorted. I dont think I've ever meazured something so many times. So im hopeing everything is square but those tail feathers are now glued in place. While that is setting up I've turned my attention and thoughtsnto the front of the model. This is roughly a 1/8 scale model and the R2800 radial is 52.8 inches in diameter. So me calculations are thusly, im not great at maths but... 52.8 × 0.125 = 6.6. So I will need to find a head on photo of the engine and shrink it to 6.6 inches then redraw the cylinders to scale in illustrator so I can get a start on making something that looks like a powerful R2800 and not a piece of plastic. To be honest I'm feeling confident because I think I got the maths right.

I'll post some photos of the tail tomorrow. now to hunt an image.

Shane Sunday09/01/2017 21:36:40
302 forum posts
125 photos

Sorry fellas I had said I was going to post some photos of work being done. TBH it's best done on my computer as my tablet is horrible at it.

Bellow you can see what I've done with my tail wheel. It's still got some work but it's getting there.

image.jpg

here is how the tail feathers are coming along. I've mounted them and noticed that onw side of the vertical stab is a little portly so work must continue to make it look right and save weight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

oh it's starting to look like something alright. I'm also shaving and reshaping the horizontal stab as well. I started this build so long ago I guess I thought I was goin to fly a block of lead.

image.jpg

this area needs finished off as well I may tear that structure apart and stick a bit of blue foam and shape it. I could build upon what's there but is it worth adding too much weight in the rear? I think the foam will be lighter.

Also I managed to get my hands on some micro balloons. This should fill the space between the wing and the fuse rightly. Little by little.

Shane Sunday10/01/2017 22:11:36
302 forum posts
125 photos

I've been hacking away at blue foam in an attempt to resculpt the tail end. The use of a hot knife a couple sanding blocks and the edge of mywork bench. Sure ill let the pics tell the story.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Time to shape

image.jpg

image.jpg

Always more to do. Sand and shape sand and shape. Using the edge of the balsa fuse and a 6x6 spruce stick with sand paper on an end helped to feather the shape. Little by little.

Nev10/01/2017 22:34:40
537 forum posts
193 photos

I never like doing these fillets, too many arty curves and not enough measuring and cutting.

Yours are looking good though and got to be good for weight saving.

Nev.

Shane Sunday11/01/2017 22:03:50
302 forum posts
125 photos

Thanks Nev. I keep looking at the tail of a small model im using as reference and the blend I'm working on looks completely different from what I see on the model. Also I think I need to extend the prutrusion that holds a nav light. Mine looks a little too short. Nothing worth showing off tonight. I spent 20mins in the shed shaping/ losing weight and I'm just not happy yet. Much work on your chippy? What is the strengthening band Danny is speaking of? Does the model require it or was is something to keep the full size from splitting in two?

Nev11/01/2017 22:55:01
537 forum posts
193 photos

I think your on the right lines but yes the vey end looks a bit stubby, no criticism intended, a bit more tapered and maybe a tad longer would look more like the photos.

I haven't been doing much, just messing with the cockpit fitting so absolutely nothing to show. The model Chippy doesn't need the band but is quite prominent on the full size, so as far as detailing goes it's the be bare minimum. Danny, as I'm sure you know goes a lot further and is trying to encourage us to have a go at including some of the scale details.

Keep sanding and shaping and you'll get there.

Nev.

G-JIMG17/01/2017 10:37:21
15 forum posts

Shane,

There is a useful Rudder mod that helps protects it in the event of nose overs. It introduces thin sheet carbon fibre to specific areas.

Shane Sunday24/01/2017 14:14:55
302 forum posts
125 photos

Hey Nev, G-Jimg. I've only just discovered micro balloons and WOW that stuff really works when mixed with epoxy. I've extended the tail section by adding some balsa then filled in with micro balloons and sanded to shape. I've no photos at the moment to show for it and I know I've not updated recently but we've been building a coffee shop here and this takes all my spare time. Funny enough I've managed to utilize much of my model building experiences.

On a model flying note. I've managed to fly my little mustang I've been building. We don't normally get good weather for flying this time of year but we had a cracker sunday just pass. A fellow and I at the field decided to mix it up and it was IC against veggie power. My little mustang is way more nimble than his high wing sportster with a 52 engine. Although he had tones more power I could out turn him. Also Another fellow at our club has a cold war prototype bomber in EDF. This model is so bloody light and he's been fly durration on a 4 cell 3000mah 25c lipo. around 40 inch wing span and he made it to 23 mins!!!!!!!!

more build pics and updates in a couple weeks

Shane Sunday24/01/2017 21:25:49
302 forum posts
125 photos

here is the helium filled EDF model. Not a very good shot as it was high up and shot from my phone.

image.jpg

and here is the wee Mustang I've been working on and flying when the weather gives me a chance.

no5.jpg

sorry the shot is tiny. My phone uploads picks whichever way it likes and in order to show this one I had to flip it.

More soon.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
Skip Model April
SHREK
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us