Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

LMA v BMFA insurance

Has anyone jumped ship to the LMA?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cabbage Man22/05/2016 07:25:59
110 forum posts

Has anyone transferred from the BMFA to the LMA insurance scheme?

Looking at the main elements of the insurance, both are £25m cover and appear to be suitable for club flyers.

Im not into black tie dinners, relentlessly dull competitions or wasting money on white elephants so fancy a change to an association that focuses on flying.

cymaz22/05/2016 07:36:29
6687 forum posts
872 photos

I have both. Only for the fact that some fly-ins specify "A" or "B " certs and don't mention LMA proficiency test. I suppose I should ask!

This page my start you off. I could try and look out my LMA documents if you wish.

Edited By cymaz on 22/05/2016 07:37:53

iqon22/05/2016 07:40:29
1181 forum posts
234 photos

As Cymaz says, some fly ins specify bring your bmfa insurance......therefore you would need both...

Cuban822/05/2016 07:55:04
1465 forum posts
1 photos
Is the LMA's journal available to non-members?
John F22/05/2016 08:03:21
1300 forum posts
51 photos

I would have thought that if the insurance cover is the same then the clubs have no real valid reason to refuse anyone attending a fly in with LMA insurance, or any other type of insurance, instead.

Having said that it would mean that the clubs would have to catch up in order to allow the insurance offered by rival companies. Good luck with that; many clubs are still ruled by dinosaurs who have only just allowed foamies and 2.4GHz

Frank Skilbeck22/05/2016 08:08:37
3669 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by John F on 22/05/2016 08:03:21:

Having said that it would mean that the clubs would have to catch up in order to allow the insurance offered by rival companies. Good luck with that; many clubs are still ruled by dinosaurs who have only just allowed foamies and 2.4GHz

That also might depend if the club is affiliated with the BMFA which provides extra cover on a club wide basis and also protects the club commitee members but is only available if all members are in the BMFA

Percy Verance22/05/2016 08:13:27
5328 forum posts
107 photos

The LMA is where I'll be going for my insurance next year, after I've left the BMFA.

As far as fly ins and shows go, I no longer fly at any....... if the weather's nice enough to hold a fly in somewhere, then I'll be on our own field flying! I'll probably get a dozen or so flights in throughout the day instead of 2 in front of a crowd. I won't have spent £40 on fuel getting there either.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 08:23:28

ChrisB22/05/2016 09:08:18
986 forum posts
31 photos

Insurance cover is exactly the same in both organisations. They use the same company, contact and policy. As with any insurance, you can only make one claim.

As for the two organisations, well, they are very different, one has 36000 members and one has about 1100. As with most flyers, you can be in both and not have to take part in competitions, black tie dinners or anything else. Equally, you can make the most of both organisations.

As for fly-ins vs shows, you make a fair point about limited flying at shows Percy, especially the big ones, I've been to several fly-ins around the country, LMA Catton, Winterton and Ashbourne and at all of them I've done as much flying as if I were at my own club field.

At fly-ins you can use 35 and 2.4 and at LMA fly-ins you don't need a proficiency. At other fly-ins its up to the host club/organisers re. certification and or frequency.

Percy Verance22/05/2016 09:20:11
5328 forum posts
107 photos

Hi Chris

I was aware the insurance has the same provider in both the BMFA and LMA. There used to be regular flying by the LMA on Wednesday afternoons at an airfield venue not far from where I live, and I sometimes used to pop along and watch. I'm not sure if they still go there as I've not been and looked for a few years.

On one particular occasion a certain LMA member had the misfortune to crash his very large Hawker Hunter, which came down not far from the car park where I was situated. On another afternoon I watched the large Vulcan (Dave Johnson's I presume?) being put through it's pre show routine. It had to complete a set number of flights in succession (18 was mentioned) prior to being permitted to fly at public events. Spectacular indeed.

I'll doubtless be more up to speed on matters once I become an LMA member, although I certainly enjoyed watching them.

Chris, I actually wonder how many of those 36000 are BMFA members simply for the insurance, perhaps being unaware they can obtain £25 million worth of cover elsewhere at slightly less cost?

And no Chris, I'm not interested in either black tie dinners nor £900 digital display units to entertain participants in minority interests........

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 09:35:37

bert baker22/05/2016 10:53:07
754 forum posts
165 photos

I have always found it strange that the LMA do the over 20kg scheme and the BMFA don't have an equivalent.

Frank Skilbeck22/05/2016 11:54:32
3669 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by bert baker on 22/05/2016 10:53:07:

I have always found it strange that the LMA do the over 20kg scheme and the BMFA don't have an equivalent.

If you read the BMFA handbook they don't exclude models over 20kg, but do say that models that all models of any size and weight are covered subject to compliance with CAA regulations, which means an exemption certificate for an over 20kg model, which the LMA administer. It's not likely that you would build a model of over 20kg and not be a member of the LMA.

Cabbage Man22/05/2016 14:27:18
110 forum posts

Thanks guys , wasn't aware they used the same provider.

I just want to satisfy my 2 clubs requirements for insurance.

I am actually looking forward to moving to the other side!

Frank Skilbeck22/05/2016 15:52:42
3669 forum posts
87 photos

check the clubs aren't affiliated with the BMFA, if they are it is a requirement that all club members are members of the BMFA.

ChrisB22/05/2016 17:53:56
986 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Percy, not sure I understand the reference to £900 DDU?

The big thing is, as Frank says, you can only be a member of a BMFA affiliated club if you are a BMFA member, as clubs can only affiliate if all their members are in the BMFA.

BMFA membership also provides club property insurance and committee indemnity cover, not sure about LMA.

TBH, for £30 (LMA) and £33 (BMFA) a year why not be in both associations.

Frank Skilbeck23/05/2016 08:16:00
3669 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by The Wrinkled Prune on 23/05/2016 07:42:04:

Affiliation by both clubs means I have to be a member of BMFA . Feels like Ive joined the mafia.

not really you could

1. get the clubs to drop BMFA affliation and make it the members responsibility to provide adequate insurance, note the club will lose it's club (i.e. committee) indemnity protection if they do this.

2. find another club which doesn't require BMFA membership, or start your own.

3. get clubs to approach LMA about them providing same cover and support as provided by BMFA

must admit our club is BMFA affiliated but we have several members who are also in the LMA

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 23/05/2016 20:41:52

Percy Verance23/05/2016 14:35:01
5328 forum posts
107 photos

But Prune, have they made you an offer you can't refuse yet?

Steve Houghton 123/05/2016 15:53:00
1825 forum posts
132 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 09:20:11:

Chris, I actually wonder how many of those 36000 are BMFA members simply for the insurance, perhaps being unaware they can obtain £25 million worth of cover elsewhere at slightly less cost?

And no Chris, I'm not interested in either black tie dinners nor £900 digital display units to entertain participants in minority interests........

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 09:35:37

I am one of those that is a BMFA member only for the insurance and unaware that I could get it elsewhere. I'm a country member who flies slope gliders. I have a choice of approx 15 slopes locally so I don't have one particular field/slope/area that I fly although all are within a one hour drive.

There are a few of us who fly together locally but not enough of us to warrant starting a club, but then we wouldn't want to form a club with all that goes with that anyway, and I think only two of us hold A Certs and one is going for his B Cert, but only because he flies powered also, and no one else is interested in gaining an A Cert.

So apart from the BMFA, is the only other place to get insurance the LMA? And do you have to join the LMA to get this insurance? And why would I want to join the LMA if I am not interested in flying large models? So I may as well stick with the BMFA.

Percy Verance23/05/2016 16:07:20
5328 forum posts
107 photos

Hi Steve

Likewise Steve, I'm not in the least bit interested in funding what I feel is little more than a pointless vanity project, so why would I want to remain a BMFA member when I can get insurance cover (by the same provider I might add) for a few quid less?

And there's also the possible benefit of belonging to an organisation which is run by grass roots flyers whom are not so resolutely focussed on minority competition diciplines.

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/05/2016 16:12:05

Geoff Sleath23/05/2016 16:12:31
1830 forum posts
96 photos

Last November I wrote a cheque for £80 to cover both my club subs for the year and BMFA member ship and I consider that a bargain. If the difference between BMFA and LMA membership is only £3, why bother changing if you don't actually fly large models?

I suppose I must be a serial membership freak. I was in an ACU (Auto cycle Union) affiliated club when I was keen motor cyclist and an RYA (Royal Yachting Association) affiliated club when I was racing dinghies (btw if you think the BMFA is posh, try the RYA!). I'm a member of 3 cycle associations (Our local club, the Tandem Club and the CTC). All those organisations look after my interests at government level and it's penny pinching IMO to eschew them in the interests of a few quid which represents a tiny proportion of my hobby spend.

The only way any activity can have a hope of influencing government policy which affects its activity is by joining together and whilst the BMFA is far from perfect (what is?) it's the only show in town protecting model flying in all its forms. I'll continue to support it.

Geoff

MattyB23/05/2016 18:29:52
1513 forum posts
25 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/05/2016 16:12:31:

Last November I wrote a cheque for £80 to cover both my club subs for the year and BMFA member ship and I consider that a bargain. If the difference between BMFA and LMA membership is only £3, why bother changing if you don't actually fly large models?

Right now I think most BMFA members agree with you, but some of us harbour concerns that the NFC project has the potential to have a significant impact on subs in the medium term. If that does come to bear and that £3 difference becomes £13 or even more it is likely a good percentage of members may take the decision to go elsewhere, especially those that are too far away to get any value from the NFC themselves.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us