Has anyone jumped ship to the LMA?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
cymaz06/01/2017 04:29:29
6078 forum posts
798 photos
Posted by LMA Dave on 06/01/2017 02:19:27:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 06/01/2017 00:51:39:

Hope your not crediting LMA for record attendance at Elvington last year, which by pure coincidence happened to put on a full Vulcan XH558 display just before it was retired.

Gary we also had record crowds this year too, I don't think we will ever beat 2015, but I doubt anybody else would ether.

Weather and press / advertising has a lot with it too. I had free LMA renewal this year as I had flown at LMA shows in 2016. That is a nice guestuure and most welcome !

Edited By cymaz on 06/01/2017 04:31:49

LMA Dave06/01/2017 07:46:54
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by cymaz on 06/01/2017 04:29:29:
Posted by LMA Dave on 06/01/2017 02:19:27:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 06/01/2017 00:51:39:

Hope your not crediting LMA for record attendance at Elvington last year, which by pure coincidence happened to put on a full Vulcan XH558 display just before it was retired.

I would also like to add Gary, XH558 didn't just come over and decide to do a full display, it had been booked to do that display, I feel you are trying to take the credit away from all who where involve in pulling that off, it wasn't easy I can assure you. The amount of public we got who where gob smack at the show and didn't know model flying existed never mine the fact you see them fly. Most of which came back this year (2016).

So please don't take away the hard work we do when you don't know the facts.

Gary Manuel06/01/2017 08:30:57
893 forum posts
472 photos

No, not wanting to take anything away from the organisers at all. I was at Elvington and thoroughly enjoyed both the displays and the trade stands. A lot of work had obviously gone into it. Apologies if I gave the impression that I was trying to undermine the work you did. I certainly wasn't.

Just making a comment that a lot of people were there purely to see the Vulcan display. I bet you wish you could organise such a crowd puller at all your events.

Doug Campbell06/01/2017 08:49:32
44 forum posts
1 photos

What a bunch of backward looking negative people you lot are.

The BMFA have said that they wont use subs to fund the national flying centre and so far they haven't. No increase this year. Why not wait until it changes before you jump ship. I feel like you have a hidden agenda.

The black tie dinner is not for me, but it is one event a year and most clubs have an annual do so why not?

As for dull competitions, they are neither dull or poorly attended. I have flown in the Bowden twice and both times it was really strong winds and heavy rain. There would be no rc flyers at the field on those days even though Barkston was full. Just because it is not your cup of tea dont knock it. A lot of thoses involved have put a lifetimes work into the hobby for the benefit of all. They may be free flighters but all aspects of the hobby gain from them.

I would happily pay my membership just for the nats if it goes ahead.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/01/2017 08:52:56

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator06/01/2017 08:55:31
14422 forum posts
1307 photos

Can we not engage in unnecessarily hostile and porovocative remarks? Let's keep this good natured please.

BEB

LMA Dave06/01/2017 09:14:17
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 06/01/2017 08:30:57:

No, not wanting to take anything away from the organisers at all. I was at Elvington and thoroughly enjoyed both the displays and the trade stands. A lot of work had obviously gone into it. Apologies if I gave the impression that I was trying to undermine the work you did. I certainly wasn't.

Just making a comment that a lot of people were there purely to see the Vulcan display. I bet you wish you could organise such a crowd puller at all your events.

Thanks Gary, sorry, but your comment did seem to come across that way to me anyway. Yes we would love to do that again, even though it was a nightmare to control, we where clearly overwhelmed at one point. Thankfully it work out in the end, one memorable event for sure.

Sorry BEB if we I am coming across as hostile, not my intention, just clearing up what seem to be a misunderstanding, but clearly I read it the wrong way, all sorted now.

Keith Lomax06/01/2017 10:43:26
69 forum posts
Posted by CARPERFECT on 05/01/2017 23:35:21:

Does anyone know or has seen the BMFA accounts for how much the insurance premium is. I remember reading somewhere that the insurance was only about £14 per member. the rest of our money went into the BMFA coffers. If thats true the the LMA must be making a bit as they do not do much for general modeling. But they may pay a higher premium per member than the BMFA

The accounts are available for all to see.

Try here ...

**LINK**

Click on "Accounts - Supplementary" in the search box at the bottom. This is actually the previous year's accounts, and I have asked the webmaster to upload the correct document so it should be fixed soon. However the amounts don't change much. Total insurances (in the Appendix 1B Membership costs) amount to about £11 per member.

Or you could look at the budget for 2017-18 which is the same thing looking forward.

The rest doesn't go "into BMFA coffers" - it is used to cover all aspects of supporting Model flying in the UK (including recently lobbying the EU on behalf of all model fliers in Europe in conjunction with some of our peer organisations abroad).

Although the insurances are provided by the same broker and underwriter, they are not the same policy. The BMFA insurance includes the club committee indemnity (as mentioned above) but also landlord indemnity. The club equipment policy is a recent addition. The club cover recently covered an expensive legal battle in support of a club with a "nasty neighbour" problem.

CARPERFECT06/01/2017 14:03:33
252 forum posts
3 photos

BMFA Coffers yes it does. It then gets used for lots of things. Each BMFA area gets a budget. Take the Northern area for example. It has Thousands in the bank. Never spends its allocation. Its main spend is on subsidizing indoor flying. for only a few people that live near Leeds . If we need more money then stop that mag . they could reduce my subs each year just by that. Make it an option when you renew each year. If you want a mag pay for it. if not Reduce theirfor  fees by £5.

[Post edited for inapproriate language - BEB]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/01/2017 14:17:17

john stones 106/01/2017 14:38:04
7588 forum posts
1230 photos

As usual some go into attack mode if a different opinion is expressed when the letters BMFA appear.

Lots of folk on here put in a lifetimes work to further the cause of what we do, by far from being the comp lads alone, backword looking negative people ? try looking forwards yourself outside your own sphere of interest sometime.

Comps well attended ? in your dreams they are, most folk at the Nats are a captive audience who pass by for a quick look and get little in the way of information when they do, lose Barkston, trade, show line, how would your numbers look. Dull ? yes they are.

All aspects of the hobby benefit from what we all do, competition is way down the pecking order of what do's bring benefits.

BMFA v LMA ? well i've paid my bmfa subs for this year, but i'd have no qualms about joining the LMA, looks like a well run forward thinking association to me.

Elvington ? Great day out Dave, my thanks to all the volunteers involved in the running of it yes

John

john stones 106/01/2017 14:46:20
7588 forum posts
1230 photos
Posted by CARPERFECT on 06/01/2017 14:03:33:

BMFA Coffers yes it does. It then gets used for lots of things. Each BMFA area gets a budget. Take the Northern area for example. It has Thousands in the bank. Never spends its allocation. Its main spend is on subsidizing indoor flying. for only a few people that live near Leeds . If we need more money then stop that mag . they could reduce my subs each year just by that. Make it an option when you renew each year. If you want a mag pay for it. if not Reduce theirfor fees by £5.

[Post edited for inapproriate language - BEB]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/01/2017 14:17:17

I think you're misinformed myself, Northern area helps us with funds every year for our free open days (toilet costs), it also helps other clubs in need for various reasons, i know this is so because i've sat at meetings when it's been discussed and voted upon, might be they're an active well run Area that is healthy as a consequence ?

John

CARPERFECT06/01/2017 17:10:38
252 forum posts
3 photos

The last Northern account showed over £11000 in the bank. its just a waste if its taken from people and not used. I think any money not used each year should be returned to HQ.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator06/01/2017 17:35:50
14422 forum posts
1307 photos

OK - that's one post deleted and a suspension handed out for repeated use of bad language.

We have warned openly that we will not put up with this any longer. Any further instances will be dealt with similarly.

BEB

john stones 106/01/2017 18:51:05
7588 forum posts
1230 photos

Not getting involved in a discussion i have limited information about re financing, but i will say, take a proper look at why they have the money, before you accuse them of hoarding at the expense of the members, that's not been my experience or our clubs. Hand it over ? again are they an active Area who run lots of events and generate some profits ? if so, credit to em, isn't that to all our benefits ? isn't good publicity and engaging the public exactly what we need just now ?

Already being looked at Area funding, i remember reading something last year, cutting funding to those doing a good job seems real sensible to me if the objective is to discourage future efforts from them.

John...Northern Area Fan Club...Dept

LMA Dave06/01/2017 20:17:17
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 06/01/2017 14:38:04:

BMFA v LMA ? well i've paid my bmfa subs for this year, but i'd have no qualms about joining the LMA, looks like a well run forward thinking association to me.

Elvington ? Great day out Dave, my thanks to all the volunteers involved in the running of it yes

John

John glad you enjoyed Elvington, we always welcome new members, I would much rather you be a member of both but that's is your chose and right to chose, we have no axe to grinned with any association.

At our Gaydon event at the end of every year we give BMFA members the same discount as LMA members on entry. What most people don't know is the LMA have to pay the museum the difference for every BMFA & LMA member that comes.

We have a BMFA club that put on a great display there every year, along with the JMA etc.. We all love what we do and we do as an association try our best to contribute to model flying in anyway we can. We might be separate from the BMFA and we have had our deference in the past with them, but we have never discouraged anyone form joining BMFA after all they are the governing body for all model flying in the UK and we hope they will continue to be so for many years to come.

We all have our place and we all work more closer together now then we ever have. So come on lets end this silly bickering, was it worth someone getting banned form the forum, I think not. Whoever you are with remember one thing we love flying and that is what it is all about.

LMA Dave08/01/2017 17:04:57
175 forum posts
37 photos

Not wanting to open old wounds, but as this debate got a bit heated, further up a member seems to have got himself banned for whatever reason. So, I was just wondering if this happened to me (god forbid) how dose one plead their case if they feel unjustly done too by the Mods. Is there a process i.e. a cooling off period then aloud to re-join if you be a good boy, or is it one strike and you are out. What warrants a ban apart from swearing?

Sorry I know there will be some literature on here somewhere that explains it all, but a cut down version would do.

Edited By LMA Dave on 08/01/2017 17:06:16

john stones 108/01/2017 17:30:22
7588 forum posts
1230 photos

CoC

Rich208/01/2017 17:45:28
1889 forum posts
499 photos

Dave, I have just joined the LMA, and could not find much information on the website, regarding various types of cover. I am not in a club, presumably LMA covers "country" members like the BMFA? Thanks

Edited By Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:46:12

LMA Dave08/01/2017 17:47:47
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 08/01/2017 17:30:22:

CoC

Thankyou.

LMA Dave08/01/2017 18:03:28
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:45:28:

Dave, I have just joined the LMA, and could not find much information on the website, regarding various types of cover. I am not in a club, presumably LMA covers "country" members like the BMFA? Thanks

Hi Rich2 Welcome to the LMA, you should get all the info when you receive your membership along with the latest Journal, all contacts are in the Mag if you need to talk to someone. As long as you have permission to fly from the land you are using you should be covered. where bout's are you, PM me if you don't want to make it public. we are actively searching for suitable sites to rent for our members, we have managed to set up two at the moment but looking for more.

LMA Dave08/01/2017 18:13:22
175 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by LMA Dave on 08/01/2017 18:03:28:
Posted by Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:45:28:

Hi Rich2 Welcome to the LMA, you should get all the info when you receive your membership along with the latest Journal, all contacts are in the Mag if you need to talk to someone. As long as you have permission to fly from the land you are using you should be covered. where bout's are you, PM me if you don't want to make it public. we are actively searching for suitable sites to rent for our members, we have managed to set up two at the moment but looking for more.

Hi Rich2 try this link https://www.largemodelassociation.com/resources/lma-insurance/

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Overlander
Slec
CML
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?
Q: Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

Dad
 Mum
 Partner
 Son
 Daughter
 Grandson
 Granddaughter
 Friends
 Other
 No-one else

Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues