Forum sponsored by CML

LMA v BMFA insurance

Has anyone jumped ship to the LMA?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator08/01/2017 18:13:46
14510 forum posts
1308 photos

To be clear Dave - the member concerned was suspened, not banned, and it was not for any view that he expressed on the matters here, it was for the repeated use of inappropriate language in his expression of his views. As the link I posted above states, we have very strict rules governing the use of bad language.

While mods can obviously exercise some judgement in the application of sanctions, what they can actually act on is completely defined by the CoC. A post may contain material we do not like - but if it doesn't contravene the CoC there is nothing we can (or should) do about it. But where a post does contravene the CoC - then we should act - even if we agree with the sentiments expressed!

That was the case here - ironically I actually would agree with the poster's observations personally, but as a moderator enforcing the CoC of this forum I cannot stand by and allow him to express them that way! I edited his original post, and was prepared to leave it at that. However he was not, he re-posted using the same inappropriate language again and it was that action which earned him a suspension.

The individual will be back once a short suspension is completed.

I hope this clarifies things and as it is rather "off topic" I suggest that we return to the main theme now.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/01/2017 18:15:03

LMA Dave08/01/2017 18:22:06
187 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/01/2017 18:13:46:

To be clear Dave - the member concerned was suspened, not banned, and it was not for any view that he expressed on the matters here, it was for the repeated use of inappropriate language in his expression of his views. As the link I posted above states, we have very strict rules governing the use of bad language.

While mods can obviously exercise some judgement in the application of sanctions, what they can actually act on is completely defined by the CoC. A post may contain material we do not like - but if it doesn't contravene the CoC there is nothing we can (or should) do about it. But where a post does contravene the CoC - then we should act - even if we agree with the sentiments expressed!

That was the case here - ironically I actually would agree with the poster's observations personally, but as a moderator enforcing the CoC of this forum I cannot stand by and allow him to express them that way! I edited his original post, and was prepared to leave it at that. However he was not, he re-posted using the same inappropriate language again and it was that action which earned him a suspension.

The individual will be back once a short suspension is completed.

I hope this clarifies things and as it is rather "off topic" I suggest that we return to the main theme now.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/01/2017 18:15:03

Thanks you BEB, I understand it all now I have read the COC, I am duly noted and agree we need to be back on topic. I am glad they are not banned.

Rich208/01/2017 19:38:11
1987 forum posts
580 photos
Posted by LMA Dave on 08/01/2017 18:13:22:
Posted by LMA Dave on 08/01/2017 18:03:28:
Posted by Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:45:28:

Dave, I have just joined the LMA, and could not find much information on the website, regarding various types of cover. I am not in a club, presumably LMA covers "country" members like the BMFA? Thanks

Edited By Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:46:12

Hi Rich2 Welcome to the LMA, you should get all the info when you receive your membership along with the latest Journal, all contacts are in the Mag if you need to talk to someone. As long as you have permission to fly from the land you are using you should be covered. where bout's are you, PM me if you don't want to make it public. we are actively searching for suitable sites to rent for our members, we have managed to set up two at the moment but looking for more.

Hi Rich2 try this link https://www.largemodelassociation.com/resources/lma-insurance/

Thanks Dave, it just says summary of cover coming soon!

Rich208/01/2017 19:40:26
1987 forum posts
580 photos
Posted by LMA Dave on 08/01/2017 18:03:28:
Posted by Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:45:28:

Dave, I have just joined the LMA, and could not find much information on the website, regarding various types of cover. I am not in a club, presumably LMA covers "country" members like the BMFA? Thanks

Edited By Rich2 on 08/01/2017 17:46:12

Hi Rich2 Welcome to the LMA, you should get all the info when you receive your membership along with the latest Journal, all contacts are in the Mag if you need to talk to someone. As long as you have permission to fly from the land you are using you should be covered. where bout's are you, PM me if you don't want to make it public. we are actively searching for suitable sites to rent for our members, we have managed to set up two at the moment but looking for more.

Just seen this yes I'll pm you.

Percy Verance08/01/2017 19:52:01
5030 forum posts
105 photos

"We are actively searching for suitable sites to rent for our members" Take note BMFA! Spend less time promoting minority competition disciplines and do more to help ALL your members!!!

This was exactly the type of scheme mooted on this very forum several months ago. This has the potential to help model flyers in all parts of the UK, not simply those whom were in convenient travelling distance from a *flagship* National Centre...... No black tie dinners, but instead more flying sites for modellers whom want to FLY!

Well done LMA! yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 19:54:56

PatMc08/01/2017 20:05:52
3207 forum posts
370 photos

I wouldn't want the BMFA or any national organisation to be searching for suitable sites on my behalf & I doubt if most BMFA would either.

Percy Verance08/01/2017 20:11:46
5030 forum posts
105 photos

That's fine Pat. I didn't particularly see or understand why the BMFA spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of time promoting things like control line speed and team race events etc, but they do......

Still, as far as I'm concerned they can do as they please now..... smiley

PatMc08/01/2017 20:17:00
3207 forum posts
370 photos

I don't think they do spend an inordinate amount of time (or resources) promoting what have become minority interests within the hobby. They merely support the people who are active in those interests as they should.

Percy Verance08/01/2017 20:22:16
5030 forum posts
105 photos

But seemingly don't appear to support the other 30 odd thousand members to the same degree.....

Any way Pat, I'm not going to get into an argument about something that's now of zero concern to me so I'll leave it there........ yes

Andy Symons - BMFA08/01/2017 20:36:01
278 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 20:11:46:

That's fine Pat. I didn't particularly see or understand why the BMFA spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of time promoting things like control line speed and team race events etc, but they do......

Still, as far as I'm concerned they can do as they please now..... smiley

Actually it's the control line flyers that promote control line events, just as it's the scale fliers that promote scale events, etc etc etc

PatMc08/01/2017 20:41:22
3207 forum posts
370 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 20:22:16:

But seemingly don't appear to support the other 30 odd thousand members to the same degree.....

Any way Pat, I'm not going to get into an argument about something that's now of zero concern to me so I'll leave it there........ yes

The BMFA does support all members to an equal degree.

Andy Symons - BMFA08/01/2017 20:48:50
278 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/01/2017 20:22:16:

What do you base that on? There is constant ongoing work protecting flying sites, both club sites and public sites open to all fliers, members or not. Then of course there is the ongoing work with the likes of EASA, being led very much by the BMFA CEO.

What is wrong with those that are interested in competition supporting and promoting competition? It is vital for all model flying in the UK that we have a healthy competition scene, it shows we are a credible sport, and even if you consider it a hobby and have no interest in competition you benefit from the recognition we have as a sport. There are quite a few flying sites, again both club and public that only exist because we are a recognised sport.

Of course we could let the competition side of things wither away however we would all be a lot poorer for it with many less sites available to us, and for the record the bulk of BMFA resources and time and effort is spent on assisting that 30 odd thousand members you mentioned.

Finally the vast majority of attendees at the 1 black tie dinner a year that is held to recognise the achievements of those that have reached the pinnacle of their particular discipline pay for their ticket and most of the others have it funded out of the contest fees from the particular competition that they won.

Rich208/01/2017 20:55:04
1987 forum posts
580 photos

Andy, I think it's the lack of support ( vote) for country flyers - of which I am one. I'd also be intrested to know why the annual accounts have not been audited! Probably nothing to do with you personally obviously! wink

Edited By Rich2 on 08/01/2017 20:55:43

Andy Symons - BMFA08/01/2017 21:06:57
278 forum posts
1 photos
Rich

The support for country members is the smae as for those that join through clubs, about 2/3 of country members are also club members btw.
Where do you thi k country members fly though?? Either at club sites, public sites or on land where it is permitted. Many of those locations its only possible because of the historical and ongoing work that the BMFA do.
Andy Symons - BMFA08/01/2017 21:08:25
278 forum posts
1 photos
With regards to the accounts which really isnt my dept, they are audited to the level that is required by HMRC by the appointed auditor.
Rich208/01/2017 21:13:56
1987 forum posts
580 photos

So why don't we get a vote? And the accounts are to be audited according to the mem & arts. It is nothing to do with HMRC.

Edited By Rich2 on 08/01/2017 21:14:16

Andy Symons - BMFA08/01/2017 21:20:02
278 forum posts
1 photos
For exec officers and tech committees you do.
When I say as required by HMRC i meant they are submitted with whatever auditkng is required for a company the size of the BMFA. The accounts are audited, an item at the agm is to appoint the auditor. Accounts side of things is really not my thing though. I do know that the accounts manager is a real stickler and makes sure we account for every penny and as efficiently as possible.
Rich208/01/2017 22:20:45
1987 forum posts
580 photos

I dnt want to get into this but the accounts refer to the appointment of auditors but the accounts are NOT audited. I suggest that you bring it up and the board asks the accountants /auditors to explain.

Rich208/01/2017 22:22:08
1987 forum posts
580 photos

The accounts manager does not provide assurance, it is the audit that provides assurance for the accounts managers ( and others ) work.

Graham Chadwick09/01/2017 11:17:34
45 forum posts
29 photos

I am totally shocked. If it is true that our BMFA insurance only costs £11 and we pay £33 this is scandalous. I naively thought the BMFA was working for me' on my behalf, to support me in my chosen pass time. But if this is correct then the BMFA is taxing me 200% on a closed shop insurance. Closed shop by not recognizing other identical insurance. This is like driving to your country boundary and being told they don't recognized your insurance and you have to re buy the identical policy to drive there.

I pay a membership fee to the BMFA and am incensed at being taxed by their 200% insurance tax.

Please tell me I have have been missinformed or misunderstood this situation. Or SHAME ON YOU BMFA.

Edited By Graham Chadwick on 09/01/2017 11:54:34

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
CML
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews