By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Newbie to IC - running in different four-strokes?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Denis Watkins11/01/2017 16:04:09
1039 forum posts
45 photos

The most significant "servicing" for 4 strokes Jonathan are in the area you have been working. These motors can be starved of oil in the tappet covers due to no pressure and often work on fuel vapour from time to time, so a drop of oil along the moving faces a regular intervals based on use, and down the followers. Again, the tappets are barely audible when set, but just listen for a marked increase in noise, as this is usually due to loosening, but is not a common occurance. Otherwise, leave the motor alone and just provide a good plug and recommended fuel.

Jonathan M28/01/2017 22:00:45
148 forum posts
33 photos

Thanks for these tips Martyn, Jon, Denis.

Re plugs, is this black residue (around the current OS F plug) a sign of anything amiss?

glow plug.jpg

Edited By Jonathan M on 28/01/2017 22:01:59

Jon Harper - Laser Engines28/01/2017 22:59:26
2249 forum posts
114 photos

its the castor in the fuel. I wouldn't be too concerned as the element looks ok. If the coil looks dull or is distorted its time for a new one

Justin K.28/01/2017 23:06:07
923 forum posts
108 photos

No Jonathan nothing is amiss, reading back over the thread you seem to be looking far to deeply into what is essentially a very simple internal combustion engine.

Also just a side note , four stroke engines have a soft aluminium plug thread as opposed to some two stroke units that have a harder steel bushed thread. Be careful & try to not repeatedly remove & refit the plug as wear & damage may occur.

If it's running ok then fly it & through use it will get better.

Jonathan M29/01/2017 00:39:26
148 forum posts
33 photos
Cheers. I probably do mither a bit too much, but do also like to really understand mechanical (and electrical) things and learn to keep them sweet.

As a kid in the 70s I learnt my aeromodelling entirely by trial and error - lots of them, especially with small glows and diesels! There was no local club I could join, and my old man had no mechanical interests. There was no internet, only the monthly mag and the salesmen at Henry J Nicholls in Holloway right the other end of London by bus!

Now, if the rain holds off for long enough tomorrow morning , I'll be up the patch for some more four-stroke Acro Wot action.

😀

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews