By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Martin's Skywriter, aliitle late but....

A scratch built Skywriter incorporating the corrections, mods suggested by others

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Dance 114/02/2017 20:50:12
80 forum posts
17 photos

tail weight.jpgHi,

I enjoyed building the Ballerina last year. As a notoriously slow builder I found following others progress made me build quicker! Slow? well 31/2 years to build Peter Millers RF4 is slow!

I am by nature a scratch builder, start with a heap of materials, drawings sharp scalpel blades etc and I'm off...slowly! I've been building models since I was 12 and now HMG pays my wages!

I thought I would start with the tail group because it is easy and I'm considering closed loop linkage for the rudder so having the tail group to hand should help with the positioning with the holes for the closed loop wires. Nicked the laminated LE idea using 6 lams of 1/16th balsa around a MDF former.tailplane laminating.jpg

john stones 114/02/2017 21:14:06
7811 forum posts
1273 photos

Hi Martin, welcome aboard, good weight on your tail plane and your formers n fuzz cut out already yes

John

Martin Dance 115/02/2017 22:03:08
80 forum posts
17 photos

Today's efforts were aimed to get the top wing looking ummmm more wing like!

most ribs in place, top wing.jpg

The first photo shows most ribs in position, but importantly there holding the rear spar in place whilst the glue sets. The next photo shows the wing at close of play. With all the top wing ribs in place and the top spar glued in place. The LE and TE are for tomorrow.

ribs and top spar.jpg

Martin Dance 115/02/2017 22:03:09
80 forum posts
17 photos

Today's efforts were aimed to get the top wing looking ummmm more wing like!

most ribs in place, top wing.jpg

The first photo shows most ribs in position, but importantly there holding the rear spar in place whilst the glue sets. The next photo shows the wing at close of play. With all the top wing ribs in place and the top spar glued in place. The LE and TE are for tomorrow.

ribs and top spar.jpg

Tim Ballinger16/02/2017 10:09:22
37 forum posts
13 photos

Doesn't look like slow building to me Martin, quite the opposite.

Laminated tips seem to be catching on .

Tim

Lucas Hofman17/02/2017 13:41:36
388 forum posts
216 photos

You are going fast Martin. And your stabilizer looks very good too. How do you plan to make he pull-pull rudder horn?

Lucas

Martin Dance 117/02/2017 21:00:40
80 forum posts
17 photos

Hi @ Tim and Lucas, my rapid progress is an illusion! I like building wings so I tend to make rapid progress. So at the moment progress is Hare like. When I start the fuselage I will slow to a tortoises pace and then covering will be carried out at a snails pace, finally installation and linkages U/C etc will be done at a Sloth's pace! The rudder horn for the closed loop system will be made from 1mm epoxy/glass sheet, as indeed will the horns linking the upper and lower ailerons. I have used ply for horns on slower models but I'm not convinced they're adequate in this application. The gluing area will be roughened before applying epoxy. One of the reasons for doing the tail group first was to make the positioning of the rudder servo easier and the position of the holes in the fuselage for the control wires easier to determine. This in turn will impact on the elevator servo position and the choice of elevator linkage all moments for endless Sloth speed work! One point I should have made in an earlier post is my decision to use 3mm threaded inserts to retain the bolts holding the upper wing to the cabane. I found some online a year or so back but I failed to bookmark the site, but here is a photo.

3mm threaded insert.jpg

Finally tonight a photo of the upper wing this evening now requires the tips and the ailerons shaped.

topwing sheeting capstips and aileron material.jpg

john stones 117/02/2017 21:11:33
7811 forum posts
1273 photos

Nice wing yes

Lucas Hofman18/02/2017 11:25:33
388 forum posts
216 photos

This is stimulating Martin! The weather is foggy and -4 degrees here so top sheeting will be applied this afternoon.

The inserts look nice, do you skrew them in the ply under the sheeting?

Regard, lucas

Martin Dance 118/02/2017 11:40:51
80 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Lucas, yes,they have sort of a thread more of a fine spiral ridge than a thread. What I did was to run a nut onto an M3 machine screw then screw the machine screw into the insert and then screw it into the plywood piece as on the plan. I used 4mm birch ply on my wing. The core diameter of the insert allows a 4.5mm hole to be drilled leaving just enough material for the thread on the insert to bite on.

Tim Ballinger18/02/2017 18:04:44
37 forum posts
13 photos

Is it a left hand thread ?

Martin Dance 118/02/2017 19:11:56
80 forum posts
17 photos

Tim, No its a right hand thread, but calling it a thread is overstating it, it is more a spiral ridge than a fully formed thread, a little epoxy or cyano will ensure they won't easily come out.

Tim Ballinger19/02/2017 08:38:12
37 forum posts
13 photos

Remembered where you got them yet ?

Tim

Denis Watkins19/02/2017 08:43:26
1008 forum posts
42 photos

Threaded inserts

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/threaded_inserts.htm

Tim Ballinger19/02/2017 13:34:04
37 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks Dennis, a proper fixings emporium!

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews