Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Horizon Hobbies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
stubtoe20/09/2017 17:28:07
8 forum posts

Hi Fella's

Just had an email reply concerning my DX9 battery discharging fault, from Mike Ridley - says he has another Dx9 with the same fault - going to let me know when he's found the fault - says he's very busy clearing Spektrum faults since HH UK jumped ship, namely this aircraft carrier Island of ours - seems a very OK fella...joe

ChrisB20/09/2017 18:57:15
1095 forum posts
32 photos

I've had some communication from HH. They say all the right things re. getting the service back in order and they are training new people apparently. Lets hope it doesn't take too long.

Percy Verance21/09/2017 14:07:43
5716 forum posts
108 photos

He's good Joe, I kid you not. Quite a few years ago I bought a job lot of gear from someone who was giving up the hobby. This particular chap never really got into it and so most of the gear was unused. Among the heap of items were 2 Multiplex 35mhz synth receivers, but unfortunately only one worked. Not too much later I sent one of my Multiplex Royal sets to Mike for the M Link/MPCM update, and I included the non working receiver in the parcel with an explanation of how I came by it. Mike did the set conversion (which was a freebie from Mpx at the time) and also fixed the dead receiver for free as well!

I don't seem to need his services too often thankfully, but when things do need looking at it's good to know they'll be sorted fairly promptly. That said, the current Spektrum merry go round may well have an impact on turnaround times.

stubtoe24/09/2017 06:20:58
8 forum posts

Morning Fella's

Percy - He's better than good he's brilliant and magnaminous with it.

At the time I emailed him he had another DX9 in for repair with the same same problem and discovered the faulty F.E.T = Q2 on Pcb DX9MBA RevF a very tiny SMD.

So he sent me two replacements yesterday ( Gabriel's gona give him the key ) how good is that?? - I replaced the FET in my DX9 but because mine was an intermittent fault there was no apparent fix - but bench testing the removed FET I could not get it to operate like I did with the ones Mike sent me - so I must assume problem fixed thanks to Mr Mike Ridley Esq & Bar with Gabriel's Key...joe

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 24/09/2017 09:33:01

Percy Verance24/09/2017 06:52:55
5716 forum posts
108 photos

There's no substitute for years and years of experience Joe, and that's exactly what Mike Ridley has...... yes

Kelly26/09/2017 00:01:42
1238 forum posts
191 photos

I have a DX6e Spektrum Lithium battery upgrade discharge fault sad.

Bit of a bummer, had Futaba for years no problems of any kind.smileyyes.

Is it safe to fly or am I at risk of battery failure, not keen on sending the Tx back for repair or is it safe if I change it back to dry cells ????.

Not impressed disgust

cymaz26/09/2017 05:32:55
7105 forum posts
942 photos

Mike Ridley is superb and excellent at what he does....thank goodness he's in the UK as well !

Edited By cymaz on 26/09/2017 05:34:35

Colin Leighfield26/09/2017 06:08:06
5286 forum posts
2074 photos

I've got two DX6s, one is early, several years old and the other three years old. Originally I was nervous about dry batteries, but they last such a long time that in the end, I couldn't be bothered to convert them. The consumption rate must be very low. My DX7 is rechargeable. It must be one of the first, also several years old. I keep thinking I should buy something more recent, but it still works perfectly so have never bothered.

cymaz26/09/2017 06:28:15
7105 forum posts
942 photos

A student of mine bought a Dx9? From SMC.I was trimming out the elevator on the maiden flight of his new Wot trainer. All of a sudden the elevator trim took off on its own and I was unable to stop it. All the way up, all the way down, all the the way up. Well, you get the picture. Needless to say that was the end of the flight. Plane brought down safely once the "auto" trim had stopped.

The Tx was taken into SMC when the pupil was on holiday visiting relatives. SMC him they were aware of such a fault and that they had new trim switches in stock.

Anyone else had this happen?

Steve Colman26/09/2017 06:40:28
639 forum posts
382 photos

I had a trim switch break on my DX6i many moons ago and it was a well known weak point back then. Luckily for me it didn't result in the loss of a model. Horizon sent me two new switches completely free without any fuss.

How things change.

cymaz26/09/2017 06:44:59
7105 forum posts
942 photos

My man does model boating as well...... All they have to do is fetch a long pole and a dingy.

He bought a Futaba for flying. Just saying....not picking fault or anything blush. The lads at Davidstow Club almost exclusively use Spektrum and have no issues that I'm aware of. I'm very much in the minority with Futaba 

Edited By cymaz on 26/09/2017 06:46:58

Kevin 21626/09/2017 07:43:18
135 forum posts
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 26/09/2017 06:08:06:

I've got two DX6s, one is early, several years old and the other three years old. Originally I was nervous about dry batteries, but they last such a long time that in the end, I couldn't be bothered to convert them. The consumption rate must be very low. My DX7 is rechargeable. It must be one of the first, also several years old. I keep thinking I should buy something more recent, but it still works perfectly so have never bothered.

My Dx6i worked fine on dry batteries and I never had a failure the batteries lasted for ages. When I bought my DX6 I decided to install the Li-on battery, as previously posted when not in use it completely every 10 days or so.

I am not sure if the DX6 is at fault, or as previously stated the battery has a charge protection circuit built into it, and it is this circuit causing the problem. To determine if its a Tx or battery fault I intend to remove the li-on battery and fully charge it and leave it disconnected to see if it loses its charge as rapidly. At the same time I will fit dry cells in the Tx and see if they discharge.

Phil 926/09/2017 08:51:09
4109 forum posts
194 photos
Posted by Steve Colman on 26/09/2017 06:40:28:

I had a trim switch break on my DX6i many moons ago and it was a well known weak point back then. Luckily for me it didn't result in the loss of a model. Horizon sent me two new switches completely free without any fuss.

How things change.

I had this happen an I replaced all the trim switches with an after marked meatal upgrade.

brokenenglish26/09/2017 09:07:08
254 forum posts
21 photos

I'm not an expert at all(!), but I could perhaps make a couple of remarks...

Looking at the above, all those who've had any kind of problem with Spektrum have changed something (e.g. Li pack option), whereas the gents who've just used Spektrum "straight out of the box" have never had a problem. The implications are obvious.

I started to fly RC properly 5 years ago. Using a Spektrum Tx, I decided to use 4 Eneloops and to charge them (externally, on a domestic fast charger), before every flying session. This takes around 30 minutes. It isn't a chore and is easily absorbed into the elapsed time between deciding to go flying and actually leaving the house, i.e. zero "additional time".

The bottom line is that I've never had the slightest problem, I'm totally satisfied and I certainly won't change anything while I never have a problem... I'm also tempted to add that perhaps some people can't resist "upgrading", for largely theoretical reasons, when the standard configuration does the job perfectly well.

Edited By brokenenglish on 26/09/2017 09:08:24

Kevin 21626/09/2017 10:23:34
135 forum posts
Posted by brokenenglish on 26/09/2017 09:07:08:

Looking at the above, all those who've had any kind of problem with Spektrum have changed something (e.g. Li pack option), whereas the gents who've just used Spektrum "straight out of the box" have never had a problem. The implications are obvious.

Not sure fitting a genuine Spektrum Li-on battery which is recommended by the manufacturer for the Tx would suggest the problem is obvious.

Straight out of the box for the dx6 would be Duracells (or similar).

David Davis26/09/2017 10:24:03
2671 forum posts
449 photos

Spektrum equipment works well but the current arrangements for repair and servicing are atrocious. Let me offer you two contrasting experiences.

When one of the trims failed on my DX6i a few years ago, I posted it off to Horizon Hobbies in England. It was repaired and returned to me without charge within a few days. I was generally pleased with Spektrum equipment so finding myself having a little money I bought a DX9, which comes with rechargeable batteries as standard,  reserving the other transmitter as a slave for use when teaching beginners. I was delighted with it until it failed to function completely in August.

Spektrum closed down their operation in England about six months ago so I felt that I had no other option but to send it to Horizon Hobbies HQ In Barsbuttel, Germany. I opted for a tracked service and know that it was delivered there on 21st August. Over one month later and I still haven't heard anything despite several emails and phone calls which are either unanswered or end up with a recorded message asking me to phone back. I can speak a little German having studied the subject as a youth. I have tried through their English and German options without success. Not impressed.

I can understand why Horizon Hobbies wanted to centralise their operation, I've heard that the company was losing money, but surely they could have anticipated a great increase in the demand for servicing if their British operation was closed down and surely they could have trained more staff in advance of closing down the English office.

In a recent RCM&E survey Spektrum was the most popular choice of radio, 36% of respondents having bought the equipment. If things carry on like this they'll lose lots of custom.

I wish I had heard of Mike Ridley before I posted my transmitter to Germany.

It's a good job I kept the DX6i. At least I can still go flying.

Edited By David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:25:45

Cuban826/09/2017 10:35:44
1609 forum posts
1 photos

It's amazing how the marketing behind a product can be counter-productive. Two or three times I've heard different people say how rubbish Spektrums radio must be if it needs satellite RXs to work. No amount of friendly explanation of the basic physics behind the idea would convince them otherwise, and that not all Spekky RXs use (or indeed require) satellites. Spektrum's main competitor realised this and I recall seeing a micky taking video on the subject.

I wish I knew why many people have trouble with Spektrum and equally, why loads of people never get a hint of bother.

Steve Colman26/09/2017 10:43:11
639 forum posts
382 photos
Posted by David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:24:03:

It's a good job I kept the DX6i. At least I can still go flying.

Edited By David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:25:45

David,

I also kept my DX6i when I upgraded to a DX8. I had to send the new DX8 to the UK for repair after losing a couple of models for no apparent reason. The DX6i allowed me to keep flying in the meantime. The DX8 was repaired under warranty and has been faultless ever since but I still have the DX6i as a back up.

If I were to start all over again I would look to another manufacturer. However, I have a considerable investment in Spektrum gear in many models which, apart from the financial element, would be a nightmare to replace and set up.

john stones 126/09/2017 11:47:13
8858 forum posts
1379 photos

Lots of Speky users at our club, can't say i've noticed many problems compared to other brands, upgraded battery gets done in other makes of tx's, not seen that cause issues either, done it with both my J.R/Taranis.

David Davis26/09/2017 12:14:29
2671 forum posts
449 photos

If I were to start all over again I would look to another manufacturer. However, I have a considerable investment in Spektrum gear in many models which, apart from the financial element, would be a nightmare to replace and set up.

I am in a similar position.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues