Forum sponsored by CML

Time to change car

Will it be big enough

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rich217/02/2017 16:05:24
1957 forum posts
550 photos

David, six years old is nothing, what's the mileage? Is it falling apart?

We bought a 100k miles 10 year old X5 a year ago, put a new gearbox in it, and fingers crossed, it should be good for at least another 100k.

In my mind it is time to change when the cost of repairs start exceeding the value.

Edited By Rich2 on 17/02/2017 16:06:45

Wilco Wingco17/02/2017 16:46:46
39 forum posts

Bought a 1998 Volvo V70 in 2001 for £10K. It now has 186000 on the clock, will cruise at 80 and do 34MPG while doing it. Total "repair" cost in the last 16 years £300, sails through the MOT no problems. Replaced 2 sets of tyres and one set of break pads. Will carry models plus camping gear and dogs. What more do you want?. smiley

Frank Skilbeck17/02/2017 18:39:39
3449 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 17/02/2017 13:51:41:

Well, I'm hanging on to my 2008 2.0 Diesel Mondeo Estate. I've had it from new and she's done 126000 miles (new cam belt due).

Did Ford change the engine, I had a 2004 2.0 Diesel Mondeo estate and it had a timing chain and not a cam belt.

Mine started to to suffer from all the ancillaries going wrong at 90k, water pump, power steering pump, coil springs on the front and wheel bearings, but the engine still pulled really well.

kc17/02/2017 18:55:45
4920 forum posts
152 photos

One vehicle you should consider is the Skoda Octavia - the saloon has a boot as long as the estate and bigger than the Golf estate I think. A new facelifted version has been anounced so there may be bargains in the old model - look for an old model that is still new and could be heavily dicounted..

For sheer trouble free motoring a Toyota should be considered - my old Carina is now about 20 years old and still going strong and passed every MOT (17 times! ) without anything being done. Consider the Avensis now.

Tom Sharp 217/02/2017 19:34:36
1937 forum posts
10 photos

I had a Toyota Lite Ace for eight years from new. All it had was two new front tyres, front brake pads and new wiper blades. Sold it to my brother and he kept it for a further ten years and spent very little on it.

Hogster17/02/2017 19:48:34
502 forum posts
44 photos

I had to change vehicles last year and, like some on here, didn't want to go down the diesel route as I do approx 5000/yr and most journeys are less than 5 miles. This pretty much rules out the Mondeo unless you get it to order. I narrowed it down to and Octavia, Superb or Avensis. None are all that common but I managed to acquire an Avensis and have been really happy with it. I can get 3 .60 size models in with ease.

Michael Ramsay-Fraser17/02/2017 20:18:31
168 forum posts

I'm sorry but admitting to wanting to own an estate car is tantamount to admitting your life is over and you have nothing to look forward to.

Easy answer, buy a sports car (the new Alfa is nice), fit a tow bar. Buy a trailer. Job done.smiley

Martin McIntosh17/02/2017 21:20:01
1879 forum posts
820 photos

Do what I did and buy a large Transit as a second vehicle. Reliable, cheap to run and you can get as many models as you like in the back. If the time comes when I have to choose then the Audi would be the one to go, much as I like it. A van may not be to your taste but I bought one for a very reasonable price for other reasons originally but would not be without it now.

Percy Verance17/02/2017 21:28:19
4915 forum posts
104 photos

Well Michael, I'm afraid I'd beg to differ. I'd rather walk than buy an Alfa Romeo. In fact if you bought one, you'd almost certainly end up walking at some point, such is their somewhat tarnished reliability record. Indeed, it might be fair to say that most Italian produced vehicles have a less then good reputation here. Sure, they're better than they once were, but they don't clock up big sales in the UK.

Michael Ramsay-Fraser17/02/2017 21:41:02
168 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/02/2017 21:28:19:

Well Michael, I'm afraid I'd beg to differ. I'd rather walk than buy an Alfa Romeo. In fact if you bought one, you'd almost certainly end up walking at some point, such is their somewhat tarnished reliability record. Indeed, it might be fair to say that most Italian produced vehicles have a less then good reputation here. Sure, they're better than they once were, but they don't clock up big sales in the UK.

It was just an example, Percy and irrespective of reliability or lack of, the new Spyder is a very attractive car at least to my eyes. It should be reasonably reliable, though. It's built by Mazda, after all.

Don't like the Alfa? Get an MX5. Basically the same car

David P Williams17/02/2017 21:50:37
592 forum posts
240 photos

Well Michael, I'd rather be the 66-year-old bald chap in the high performance estate car than the 66-year old bald chap in the open topped sports car. But that's just me I suppose.

Anyway, thanks everyone for some interesting contributions and suggestions. Much food for thought.

ted hughes17/02/2017 22:03:33
390 forum posts

One car I'd never buy is a Mercedes, and that is solely due to my grandfathers terrible experiences in the war....

He had one and it was really un-reliable....

What made it more embarrassing was that he was high-ranking in the SS.

(courtesy of Jack Dee)

Martin Harris17/02/2017 22:22:19
6502 forum posts
159 photos
Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 17/02/2017 20:18:31:

I'm sorry but admitting to wanting to own an estate car is tantamount to admitting your life is over and you have nothing to look forward to.

Easy answer, buy a sports car (the new Alfa is nice), fit a tow bar. Buy a trailer. Job done.smiley

Oh dear, I bought an estate car when I was 30 - but I'm still waiting to grow up!

Mind you, it was a Scimitar GTE with quite decent performance for its time...and keeping it running was almost a full time hobby on its own. I have to admit I'm currently running an Astra estate which I bought primarily for model transportation - seems a lot easier chucking a few models in the back rather than messing around with a trailer!

I'm intending putting my Series 1 Land Rover back on the road when modelling time allows (I was in the middle of restoring it when I took up model flying again but now I'm retired I should really be able to find the time). That's done pretty well in the depreciation stakes though - paid £525 for it in 1979 so if it disappeared in a puff of smoke tonight that's less than £13.82 a year and in reality, even in it's part restored condition it's worth considerably more than I paid for it after 38 years...

Percy Verance17/02/2017 22:31:57
4915 forum posts
104 photos

Martin

I was once filling my car up at a petrol station when a rather nice old Land Rover pulled up next to me. I knew it was an old one as the exhaust exited up through the front wing. It was in remarkable condition, and when I glanced at the dashboard I could plainly see just 14000 miles registered. I asked the owner - a cloth capped farmer type - if the mileage was genuine. He replied " no lad, I've (swear word) pushed it further than that"........

Dave Wilshere17/02/2017 22:33:21
28 forum posts

Buy a Ford S Max. Nice drive, instant fold into floor rear seats. Ford were nice enough to loan us a couple to do a European event and I loved the way it drove and it swallowed 2 jets and all the luggage for 4 days flying.

Had a Mondy Estate for a couple of years, but not enough height to pack models and stop the kids squabbling! I traded a 4 year old Merc for that and I'd never suffer one again...worst dealers in the world too!!

I had a Ford Galaxy for 13 years...petrol, same exhaust and clutch, amazing car. My wife has a C Max and loves it.

DW

ted hughes18/02/2017 07:03:18
390 forum posts

A sign of things to come?(10 year old cars penalised):**LINK**

Edited By ted hughes on 18/02/2017 07:04:22

cymaz18/02/2017 07:08:11
6181 forum posts
800 photos
Posted by David P Williams on 16/02/2017 17:44:56:

Thanks chaps, I know what you mean about anything else feeling small after the Mondeo. Its an hours drive to any flying club from here, so I tend to take a selection of models plus supplies for the day and the floorspace available makes it easy. I did baffle the Seat salesman by getting him to fold the seats down (they don't go flat) and measuring the loadspace. About 1.6m long, so a tight fit for things like my Wots Wot XL.

It is annoying that all the references for loadspace are in litres, when I need to know the floorspace.

Anyone out there able to measure a Focus estate for me please?

How about one of these? Flat floor, plenty of leg room, petrol . And you could stay at the club all weekend,

ted hughes18/02/2017 07:19:21
390 forum posts
Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2017 07:08:11:
Posted by David P Williams on 16/02/2017 17:44:56:

Thanks chaps, I know what you mean about anything else feeling small after the Mondeo. Its an hours drive to any flying club from here, so I tend to take a selection of models plus supplies for the day and the floorspace available makes it easy. I did baffle the Seat salesman by getting him to fold the seats down (they don't go flat) and measuring the loadspace. About 1.6m long, so a tight fit for things like my Wots Wot XL.

It is annoying that all the references for loadspace are in litres, when I need to know the floorspace.

Anyone out there able to measure a Focus estate for me please?

How about one of these? Flat floor, plenty of leg room, petrol . And you could stay at the club all weekend,

Or this:**LINK**

cymaz18/02/2017 07:21:45
6181 forum posts
800 photos

I'll just go and check my lottery tickets......

Rich218/02/2017 08:12:26
1957 forum posts
550 photos

Posted by ted hughes on 18/02/2017 07:03:18:

A sign of things to come?(10 year old cars penalised):**LINK**

Edited By ted hughes on 18/02/2017 07:04:22

Yeah, the average Joe gets hit yet again. Why ten year old? What about people that can't afford newer? Sadiq wouldn't answer that question. Sadiq doesn't have a clue. What about all the polluting commercial vehicles and buses?

Why do they never think outside the box? I have been commuting into London on a m/bike for twenty years, and so I see what its like. Congestion charging made no difference whatsoever to traffic. I have come to believe that the most inefficient form of transport on our roads are buses. Often half empty and take up so much space that they block and slow other traffic - and often try and get out of the bus lane when faced with a red traffic light, then the lights change and they go back to the bus lane..

Buses should be radically re-designed to take up less space and must stick to the bus lanes.

Then, they should trial commercial delivers into London at only certain times of the day, i.e. not during rush hour. Stagger the traffic. And that would also separate lorries from cyclists in rush hour.

There is also too much development (for a pure profit motive) going on in London. Developers should be clobbered for a congestion charge (lorries), and environmental impact. Make them think twice about the development. My office is in a grade 2 listed building and it often gets interest from developers until they discover its grade 2 listed - put a few barriers in front of them and they'll go for something easier.

I could go on. Off topic rant over.wink

Edited By Rich2 on 18/02/2017 08:13:37

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What's the main radio brand you use? (2017)
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky
 Turnigy
 Multiplex
 Hitec
 Futaba
 JR
 Spektrum
 Graupner
 Jeti
 Other

Latest Reviews