By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FMS Alpha Jet 2ch R/C conversion for PSS

Converting the 18" span EPP free flight 'chuckie' for use on the slope.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dave Bran16/06/2017 18:38:55
1763 forum posts
5 photos

Amazing range of real world liveries to choose from!

Haoyang Wang 118/06/2017 07:51:08
5 forum posts
3 photos

Well, once I was told that for the PSS type of gliders, the incidence of the stabilizer should align to the flat bottom of the wings, so before I read Phil's reply, knowing no better, I had adjusted the stabilizer incidence accordingly, which involved shaving off the foam above the stabilizer, and filling up the resulting gaps below.stab incidence adjustment

This is how I arrange the gears. I link each side of the elevator with a separate carbon rod.radio gears

The battery is E-flite 200mah 2S, commonly used in their micro planes, like UMX Beast.under the canopy

Haoyang Wang 118/06/2017 08:07:10
5 forum posts
3 photos

For my first build, I decided to get it into the air as soon as possible, so no paintings, no carbon reinforcements, and no dihedral adjustments to the wings and the stabilizer. I applied the stickers for the colors and as a cheap way to stiffen the surfaces.

The plane ends up very nose heavy. I had to add 20 grams of tail weight for balance. In hindsight, I should not place the battery so forward. Maybe I should have run it on a single-cell lipo.

Because of the incidence reduction, its GC is about 1 cm aft of the original position. The pitch is still stable with this new incidence-CG combination. Don't know how the flight compares with the original configuration.

All up weight, including the 20 grams of tail weight, is 133 gram. (The original 5 gram nose weight has been removed.)

It needs more than 10 mph of wind to fly. It penetrates ok, and gets small very fast, maybe due to the weight. It prefers to make wide, smooth turns, like a jet, again this maybe also due to its high wing loading. I think it should be lighten up.

It tends to wave its wings. I think removing the wing dihedral not only makes it look more scale, but will also improve the flight performance.

Edited By Haoyang Wang 1 on 18/06/2017 08:07:56

Flyer17/07/2017 12:45:54
308 forum posts
39 photos

Just a stupid question, but I'm good with them; are the receivers you using on this model 'park fly' or indoor types? I've not made/ assembled (corrupted) a model like this yet, and want to make sure I get the correct type of receiver and servos.

That would also be Futaba compatible........

Cheers

Ade

embarrassed

Flyer17/07/2017 12:45:55
308 forum posts
39 photos

Just a stupid question, but I'm good with them; are the receivers you using on this model 'park fly' or indoor types? I've not made/ assembled (corrupted) a model like this yet, and want to make sure I get the correct type of receiver and servos.

That would also be Futaba compatible........

Cheers

Ade

embarrassed

Andy Meade17/07/2017 13:06:42
2071 forum posts
532 photos

I think FRSky do a tiny one that is Futaba compatible? Probably what Matt has in his yes

Flyer17/07/2017 13:11:13
308 forum posts
39 photos
Posted by Andy Meade on 17/07/2017 13:06:42:

I think FRSky do a tiny one that is Futaba compatible? Probably what Matt has in his yes

Thanks Andy, will get one ordered.

thumbs up

Phil Cooke17/07/2017 17:43:38
1850 forum posts
1195 photos

there's a photo of the chosen Rx on page 2 of the blog.

aj20rx.jpg

Haoyang Wang 118/07/2017 03:38:49
5 forum posts
3 photos

Pick a receiver small and light. Range is not that important -- For such a tiny plane, you will lose sight of it long before it gets out of the radio range. I happen to have a Spektrum AR6115 at hand for this project.

Happy hacking!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
TJD Models
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us