Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Anet A8

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris19/05/2017 16:09:59
6721 forum posts
161 photos

I'm a happy bunny - test print worked fine although I think I selected the wrong filament type as the nozzle temperature went up to 220 from 190 which I'd originally selected after nothing happened when I followed some video instructions - found a menu which seemed to be for various filament types and selected one - whereupon it burst into life...

Now all I've got to do is work out how to use it in anger...and remove the print from the bed tape. Is there any reason why people don't simply remove/replace the masking tape between each print?

Tony Bennett19/05/2017 17:55:56
4653 forum posts
125 photos

get some blue squares from Hobby King. £5.00 for 20 sheets, lasts forever.

your bed height might be a tad to high if the print is sticking too well.

Tony B

Geoff Gardiner19/05/2017 18:11:28
205 forum posts
371 photos

I quickly got fed up using the tape and got a Velleman Buildtak 3D Print Bed Surface from Maplin.

**LINK**

It works really well.

Martin Harris19/05/2017 19:53:47
6721 forum posts
161 photos

Thanks - lots to learn!

Robin Etherton23/05/2017 15:16:00
194 forum posts
17 photos

Martin, have now started to put the beast together.

No issues with the screw alignment, can wind the head up and down very easily by turning the motors by hand.

I had to put longer screws to hold the z belt as the belt would not line up with the ones specified and began to bind at the left and right extremities.

Apart from this I had to shim up one of the bed bearing blocks to get the bed sliding back and forth easily. It did tighten up somewhat when I attached the x belt but can still be moved by hand so I am assuming it will be ok?

Nearly finished, but in no hurry. Like you am fitting a mosfet to be on the safe side.

Robin

Martin Harris23/05/2017 21:41:40
6721 forum posts
161 photos

I'm not sure which longer screws you are referring to on the Z belt, Robin? As I understand it, the Z axis is the one operated by the twin leadscrews...but I didn't find any problems with any of the screw lengths. There again, I didn't realise that there was a manual on the SD card and worked from a manual on the net and the videos I linked to earlier...blush

Robin Etherton24/05/2017 07:54:47
194 forum posts
17 photos

Ok, whatever it's called it's the belt which runs horizontally across the machine. The ends of the belt are folded round two screws and then zip tied. I found that when sliding the carriage to the extreme right or left the side of the belt was fouling the white bits which house the end rollers. Two longer screws enabled the belt to slide over slightly and line up properly so that the top and bottom of the belt were parallel.

Robin

Robin Etherton24/05/2017 12:40:31
194 forum posts
17 photos

Whilst on the subject of belts I had the other one installed as per build instructions and although the bed is moving freely the two sides of the belt were not parallel. Having found out that the build video installs the aluminium "H" plate upside down I put this right which improved matters slightly. Using an extra pair of clamps provided( they dont seem to be used elsewhere) put things right. Must be good for the motor drive.

Fortunately the internet is alive with blogs on this printer. It must be the best selling gadget out there.

Robin

Martin Harris24/05/2017 12:48:24
6721 forum posts
161 photos

I see what you mean now - looking down on my belt shows a slight misalignment (maybe 1/16" at the middle?) but I haven't noticed any binding at the extremities or effect on operation. It might be worth correcting though - good spot!

My Y axis H crosspiece is uppermost and the belt seems to be properly aligned.

Robin Etherton24/05/2017 15:08:00
194 forum posts
17 photos

There must be subtle differences in the various editions. Nearly finished now but too hot inside and its a shame to waste the good weather.

Incredible at the differences in belt alignment between various builds! Even with the h piece facing down I still needed the additional spacer to get it in line.

As long as it works when its finished!

Martin Harris24/05/2017 19:49:56
6721 forum posts
161 photos

Fingers crossed - sounds like you're doing a thorough job...

I've no experience of CAD but I've messed around with a free program called Tinkercad which seems quite intuitive - as an exercise (and in preparation for a useful and more accurate part for my current build) I've knocked out a Tempest(ish) exhaust stub quite easily. I used Cura for the slicing...

Still very much at the learning stage - there seems to be a minimum size that is practical - my first (very small scale) six stub manifold was a disaster but a single stub at slightly larger than model scale seems quite acceptable...

20170524_180145.jpg

Robin Etherton24/05/2017 20:16:11
194 forum posts
17 photos

I have just about finished now but don't have the courage to switch on tonight.

Best sleep on it and give it one more check tomorrow.

Martin Harris26/05/2017 12:56:21
6721 forum posts
161 photos

Posted by Robin Etherton on 24/05/2017 15:08:00:

Incredible at the differences in belt alignment between various builds! Even with the h piece facing down I still needed the additional spacer to get it in line.

Just a thought Robin - could your X and Y steppers have been incorrectly marked? They come pre-assembled with the belt pulleys and the only obvious difference between them is that the pulleys are reversed.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/05/2017 13:02:31

Robin Etherton26/05/2017 18:25:53
194 forum posts
17 photos

I don't think so but worth checking.

On another tack I switched on yesterday and although everything worked as it should concerning the set up of the nozzle and stops as soon as I attempted a print . Nothing.

Seems I was tring to print a stl file rather than gcode.?

Its all greek to me. Having another try tonight.

The anet a8 support group have been very helpful.

Robin

john kennedy 426/05/2017 19:05:53
14 forum posts

Ordered mine on 21st..Can't wait.

Robin Etherton26/05/2017 20:19:35
194 forum posts
17 photos

At last it is at this moment printing a test gcode file.

God knows what it is , it looks like a flat rectangular thing?

The bed is juddering a bit on the return so I will need to have another go at lining up the bearings and adjusting the belt tension.

Apparently the ingus( igus? Ignus?) bearings I bought thinking I was being smart are not as forgiving as the originals which come with the machine. They are quiet though and swmbo is quite happy having it working in the house.

Just to repeat the guys on the facebook support group are really helpful.

This is going to be a great toy, I hope.

Robin

Simon Chaddock26/05/2017 21:15:22
4836 forum posts
2486 photos

Robin

Any "juddering" does not sound right.

The print head "prints" as the bed moves in either direction so any hesitation will show in the finished print quality.

The bearings should be quiet. By far the greatest noise comes from the stepper motors which can create a noticeable "tune" when printing circles or ellipses. wink 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Overlander
CML
Skip Model April
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Advertise With Us
How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
Q: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

5 to 10
 10+
 15+
 20+

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us