Forum sponsored by CML

Pavel Bosak B17

76 inch wingspan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
chris meek 119/05/2017 21:09:52
136 forum posts
110 photos

I've just found these plans that I bought years ago from Rc Model World. I can't figure how the engine firewalls are fixed to the wings, has anyone ever built one or have any ideas? Looking at it as a possible future project. Seems fairly straight forward apart from that, it looks like they're held on just with the strip planking of the nacelles but I'd have thought it would need something more substantial... dsc_1099.jpgdsc_1100.jpg

Robert Parker20/05/2017 11:12:32
641 forum posts
881 photos

Hi Chris,

I have not made one of these, but on looking at your photos it does look as if they have no structure.

My thoughts are, for the outer nacelles, you could make a former from the cross section and notch it around the wing spars that would give it some rigidity and help with alignment.

The inner nacelles will need a bit more due to the loading they are going to undertake. The way around I think would be to create two new wing ribs from light ply to fit between W2 and W3 spaced to suit your u/c units plus mounting plate then make the sides from light ply and glue to the new ribs.

Below is how overcame the same issue with my own design FW 200 Condor and Short Stirling if they are of any help.

dsc09339.jpg

dsc09340.jpg

dsc09336.jpg

dsc00143 (1024x681).jpg

dsc00145 (666x1024).jpg

I have a set of TN's Short Sunderland plans which have such a detail, I'll dig them out and take a look and get back to you.

Regards

Robert

Robert Parker20/05/2017 11:38:21
641 forum posts
881 photos

Hi Chris,

Here are some photos of TN's Sunderland.

dsc00055.jpg

dsc00054.jpg

dsc00053.jpg

I hope this explains what I tried to say above, but of course the Sunderland does not have a retracts to think about.

This I hope will be my next project.

Hope these are of some help regards

Robert

chris meek 120/05/2017 12:47:05
136 forum posts
110 photos

Thanks for the advice Robert, much appreciated. I think with a bit of head scratching I'll work something out similar to what you've done. The nacelles have been the one (four!) thing stopping me from having a go at this design. If I can figure something out it'll go on my list of projects to do!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
SHREK
Overlander
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us