Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Swift 82

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Concorde Speedbird14/01/2018 14:47:07
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Decided to do some wing work in the absence of the jig.

I cut the ailerons away and the slots for the aileron servo units (note- I located the string for the servo wires at both ends first).

80.jpg

Close up of the servo hatch:

81.jpg

Here are the ailerons:

82.jpg

And then I glued the leading edges on:

83.jpg

The tape crushing the trailing edge is not an issue because it isn't the final trailing edge.

Concorde Speedbird14/01/2018 21:54:13
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Final update from a productive weekend.

I found the original sketch I made from the Giles 3 views. This is what I drew the plan from.

84.jpg

I drilled and screwed the servo hatches on. The one on the right still needs some adjustment.

85.jpg

The trailing edges of the ailerons have been stuck on. Both leading and trailing edges will need a big planing/sanding session.

86.jpg

And I drilled out the undercarriage from the holes that were already there. I'm using nylon wing bolts to save the undercarriage mount in unfortunate circumstances. Previously I have used number plate bolts to the same effect.

87.jpg

Hopefully the fuselage bits arrive soon.

Tom Thomas14/01/2018 23:50:31
285 forum posts
205 photos

That wing looks very tidy!

Concorde Speedbird15/01/2018 22:50:15
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Thank you very much Tom.

88.jpg

Shaping the ailerons. They are still very rough- not sanded yet- so please be nice!

Decided to hinge them (no glue) to check the movement was sufficient. The full size Giles has an astounding roll rate (honestly watch a video of it), so I have large ailerons (not 3D large but this is not that sort of aeroplane) to replicate that performance. They look about the same size as the Giles ailerons.

89.jpg

The lighting in this picture makes the skin on the left look a bit 'ballooned'. It isn't- I just checked it (and I could see inside when the lower skin went on) so it is just a funny camera illusion. I was worried for a second...

I do like that wing planform. The wing tips are precisely cut now, obviously the central trailing edge is not on yet.

90.jpg

91.jpg

Available movement looks good.

Still no jig parts! I suppose I have a leading edge to plane next.

Martyn K16/01/2018 09:54:32
4476 forum posts
3089 photos

Just spotted this CSB. Nice to see that you are back in the land of the builders.

Following, it looks great

Martyn

Concorde Speedbird16/01/2018 23:10:40
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Nice to hear from you again Martyn! Funnily enough I was re-reading your Astro Hog 25 build log the other day, that was a good one.

Planing and a bit of sanding on the wing makes it look slightly more aerodynamically pleasant. Still far from done, but I shall save that for just before covering so it is less critical if I ding the wing.

92.jpg

Thick! Note the drooped aileron on the right.

93.jpg

Fin and tailplane now. I then realised I never drew the tailplane plan! Not to worry, I got the three views and drew it out. Note elevator balance tabs at the tips, a la Giles.

94.jpg

Then I built the frame. I looked at my Domino build log from 5 years ago when I was 16 since those ones were like this. Blimey I talked a lot back then!

95.jpg

Every time I do the tail surfaces like this with a frame sheeted in thin balsa, I have reduced the frame size to save weight. It's so strong when the sheeting is on that this is okay- although I wouldn't go less than this one. Might put some little triangles on the very corners though.

Here is the fin. Spot the error and fix! I will neaten that up.

96.jpg

It got late so I couldn't sheet them today. Will do tomorrow. Also, the jig parts are arriving tomorrow so I can make that.

Concorde Speedbird17/01/2018 21:02:40
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Sheeting the tail surfaces. I decided to leave these overnight.

97.jpg

If Laser Jon peaks in, I have some Laser mix fuel on order I promise!

The jig parts arrived! Due to the tail surfaces the fuselage will have to wait until tomorrow, but I drilled the holes anyhow (I was lazy and only drilled the holes I need for this fuselage, I will do the rest afterwards).

98.jpg

I did some fleet maintenance after this since it was the evening and I didn't wish to disturb the neighbours by hammering in captive nuts. I am looking forwards to getting the fuselage in the jig, that should be tomorrow.

Concorde Speedbird18/01/2018 21:55:43
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Fuselage time. First I did the first two bulkheads with epoxy, and let that get strong enough so it won't dislodge when drawing in the fuselage sides at the tail. The cable ties are because the plastic right angles appeared to flex when screwed down. The sides are at right angles.

99.jpg

Then Gorilla PVA for the rest. The middle one is back to front (mistake) but it does not affect anything, it just annoys people with OCD (and annoys me!).

100.jpg

101.jpg

Here is how the tail surfaces came out.

102.jpg

Next is the undercarriage plate and rear lower decking- keeping it in the jig since these will improve the stiffness of the fuselage.

Concorde Speedbird19/01/2018 16:38:05
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Sorting out the undercarriage plate. I am still unsure whether this undercarriage is too large, but it can always be replaced if necessary.

103.jpg

And with glue

104.jpg

Martyn K19/01/2018 16:52:17
4476 forum posts
3089 photos

Very neat indeed. Nice work. I wish I could build as tidily as that

Martyn

Concorde Speedbird19/01/2018 21:57:01
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Thank you very much Martyn. I always enjoy following your builds, if I zoomed in more on mine it would show more discrepancies I am sure!

I glued the balsa section in front of the undercarriage plate but forgot to take pictures (sorry!). More tomorrow.

Paul C.19/01/2018 22:02:31
348 forum posts
104 photos

Loads of room for the radio gear in that fus, have you decided what you are going to do with the cowl and canopy . (Or is that a secret to be revealed later) wink

Paul.

Broken Prop20/01/2018 14:50:11
507 forum posts
1 photos

That's not messy, it is just been used properly......

wink

Concorde Speedbird20/01/2018 17:08:03
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Yes quite right Paul. Cowl will be of wooden construction and canopy a bit of a lottery currently! I have some potential ones, but whether or not they will fit is a different matter.

Thanks BP!

Here's the bit I glued on last night.

105.jpg

I put in some braces just to help ensure the straightness remains.

106.jpg

The tailwheel mount:

107.jpg

The area at the wing leading edge former is a big stress point, so I am tempted to either put these triangles or some other means of reinforcement.

108.jpg

Then I did the underside decking formers. The angled one is so if the wing clips the ground and breaks off, less damage is likely to occur. These are to be sheeted rather than planked, presuming the curves are not too extreme for the balsa.

109.jpg

110.jpg

And then I did the inevitable.

111.jpg

Obviously the wing incidence is wrong and the fin and tailplane are on the wrong side.

Concorde Speedbird21/01/2018 21:24:27
2688 forum posts
559 photos

Rear underside deck sheeting. First I propped the central spar at the angled former so it doesn't break during construction and added something for the sheeting to sit against.

114.jpg

I attached the sheet at the bottom...

116.jpg

But of course I made a categorical error!

117.jpg

The end of the sheet is in front of the former. I decided to just do the sheet and I will sort it out when it has set, which won't be too difficult.

The first half was a bit of a faff, with the sheet splitting at the tail. But I managed to fix that and get it on in a reasonable state. Note kettle for steaming the wood.

118.jpg

119.jpg

The second half went a lot better at the tail thanks to more wetting of the wood, and perhaps a slightly bendier piece of wood.

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

So I will neaten up the tail section next, but other than that that is the underside of the fuselage. Next is to sort out the area behind, which includes the tail wheel mount, before turning it over and sorting the internals and top decking.

Concorde Speedbird22/01/2018 19:00:41
2688 forum posts
559 photos

I fixed up the error. It still needs work, but only once I have further strengthened the area with some Gorilla Glue.

123.jpg

Then I suppose I could have done something productive, but I saw an opportunity...

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

It is interesting to see it together for the first time. When drawing it, I had a reasonable idea what it would look like but to actually see it is interesting. Some points I took from this:

• It looks like a Giles 200. I must have done something right!
  • Undercarriage is quite tall but I think will look fine when the rest of the fuselage shape is in.
  • WIDE fuselage! Perhaps could have had a tighter taper, but I think when the curved top decks go on it will look better (and it should help with knife edge).
  • Engine looks good, could fit entirely in the cowl if I wish (considering cooling options). The prop will be an inch larger in diameter than the one shown.
  • The roll rate off this thing will be... brisk! The Giles is famous for it's 500 degrees per second roll rate (watch here if you wish) and you can see why- fairly short tapered wings coupled with large straight chord ailerons. Rates will be important on the maiden flight.
  • Happy with the weight so far, and C of G should be easily achievable using tactical Rx battery placement.

I'll actually do something productive in a bit!

Concorde Speedbird22/01/2018 21:23:00
2688 forum posts
559 photos

I decided to plan the controls, since on a radio controlled aeroplane it is quite useful to have controls. I am using snakes, they get a lot of criticism but I've used them on every build and have had no issues with trim changing or anything.

The tailplane sits higher than the fuselage side (look at a Giles picture to see how high it is). Therefore it needs a block of balsa to sit on. I put these 1/4" square pieces in to increase gluing area.

127.jpg

Then Thunderbird 2 dropped off the Mole (I may be 21 but I still watched Thunderbirds!).

128.jpg

This is the elevator snake.

130.jpg

The rudder snake goes through the fuselage side lower down so it doesn't clash with the elevator. It was looking like the servos would breach the cockpit floor, but I think I can get them lower now. Obviously the snakes will need more supports.

131.jpg

I then glued the tailplane mount on.

132.jpg

That Gorilla wood glue sets incredibly hard- it was hard work to file it down with a new permagrit needle file!.

Paul C.22/01/2018 21:45:01
348 forum posts
104 photos

Spotted a complete DVD set of Thunderbirds episodes in sainsburys was tempted but resisted, might go back for another look though wink

Concorde Speedbird22/01/2018 22:28:46
2688 forum posts
559 photos

You should!

Got bored and roughly planned a potential colour scheme. I will probably make it more simple. Underneath the wing/tailplane will be red and white stripes in the direction of travel to provide easy orientation, especially important with a very manoeuvrable aeroplane.

g200.jpg

Concorde Speedbird23/01/2018 22:14:40
2688 forum posts
559 photos

This arrived today!

dsc_0268.jpg

Which gives me another incentive to crack on with the Swift.

Decided to sort out the top rear deck formers.

133.jpg

134.jpg

This canopy (actually from a Sukhoi, like the undercarriage) might actually fit and with a clean up, look reasonable. We shall have to see.

Here is everything glued in place. I think I will add a couple more stringers to support the sheeting.

135.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues