Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Fenton11/11/2017 14:28:35
8395 forum posts
3407 photos
Yes guys you are quite right keep the ribs as one then seperate.
Chris if you are following this conversation then you will be fine, and well capable
I am thinking of adding rib tabs to keep the wing straight. No washout.
Cheers
Danny
McG 696911/11/2017 18:57:55
1678 forum posts
731 photos

Rib tabs should definitely be a nice improvement, Danny.

Where do you project to locate them ('lengthwise', I mean - as I'm a bit afraid somebody would answer "at the bottom"!) on the rib? frown

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton11/11/2017 19:39:14
8395 forum posts
3407 photos

I haven't looked at that area of the plan yet. I would normally suggest just behind leading edge and in front of trailing edge. If we are cunning we may be able to include the ailerons in the tab so that when they are cut away if that is how they are made then they too will stay flat. I have a feeling the ailerons are constructed in a rather overly difficult way which is why I hesitate. Richard D also aluded to this when he said he struggled to work them out.

There is still a lot of figuring out to do before we can glue balsa

All good fun and part of the process. By the time October arrives we should have a clear idea of what we are going to do....... If I say it quickly do you believe me???

Cheers

Danny

Mark Elen11/11/2017 20:43:36
243 forum posts
418 photos

Danny,

You'll have to say it quicker than that for me to believe you😂

Ive got the plan and am wondering what I've let myself in for😂 Looking forward to the challenge though.

all the best

Mark

Martyn K11/11/2017 20:51:41
4366 forum posts
2988 photos
The way i would approach the ribs that enclose the braces would be to build the panel upto where the braces fit the ribs. Add the spars, fit the braces then fit those ribs around the spars. I can't see any advantage to splitting the ribs afterwards. Its always tricky trying to slice the ribs accurately when they are in situ. I would rather trim them where I can the line I am cutting.
Martyn K11/11/2017 20:55:32
4366 forum posts
2988 photos
Looking at the wing section, I think I would set the tabs so they support the rib correctly but also angled and long enough to hold the TE at the correct angle. Which does not appear to be horizontal.
McG 696912/11/2017 11:18:59
1678 forum posts
731 photos

Hello all,

Hi Danny,

I had a restless night with some views of floating ribs all around the room.

Not from my own experience of course, but I think I could second Martyn's point of view about trimming the ribs in situ.

So I started to ponder about a solution to adapt the rib tabs for either central section and aileron location. Trying to keep one type of rib for both applications, I came up with this:

fury_ribtaps_900.jpg

Four tabs in total with the TE one being 'larger' and able to fully support the aileron part.

For the central section the cutting can be done flat while the ribs remain straight to the board for later assembly.

For the aileron section, the shaded part can be cut out, ready to receive the wing TE & the aileron LE.

Maybe including a few 'spare ribs' (!!?) in the kit, for those like me that could have a blond moment when preparing the different versions... frown

I guess i'll better take care of my fever now and head back to bed...

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 12/11/2017 11:22:47

Danny Fenton12/11/2017 22:52:14
8395 forum posts
3407 photos

I like your thinking Chris, my only comment would be that removing those tabs will be difficult unless partially laser cut. If you recall some of the ribs are ply so removing the tabs afterward will be very difficult.

Martyn has suggested lifting the front of the rib so that the trailing edge lower surface is flat to the building board. I can see his logic and it is also a good idea, however it makes wing panel joining (to the centre section) more difficult.

Keep churning the ideas around we will get there

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K13/11/2017 10:11:11
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

I only use one tab for symmetrical and semi symmetrical sections. They tend to be quite long but laser cut for about 50% of the width with the remaining 50% laser marked and can be easily sliced off.

I think Danny misunderstood what I was suggesting. The wing ribs are horizontal, but my suggestion was to extend the rear building tab behind the rib to support the narrow TE section at the correct angle. The trick of course is not to glue the TE to the tab..

On the Fury plan, the TE is actually a composite of 1/4 x 1/16 balsa, top and bottom. I would be very inclined to actually cap the last 1/8" with spruce to help keep it stiff. I know it adds a little weight but it also adds a huge amount of stiffness and ding proofs it.

wing_rib2.jpg

This is what my proposed wing template will look like (from the aileron area). - Black is laser cut, Red is laser marked

Martyn

McG 696913/11/2017 11:36:20
1678 forum posts
731 photos

Thanks, Danny, but I presume that's the difference between 'experienced' and 'apprentice'.

Indeed and as Martyn suggests as well, the tabs could be laser cut to half of the depth of the material.

I must be missing something but I can't find ply ribs for the top wing. They seem to be 1,5mm balsa except for 2x 6mm ones at the center section. I guess I must have a better look. blush

Also the plan doesn't show any holes in the ribs for bell crank rods or servo wires. Is this correct?

I'm going to draw a rib 'type' for each section of the top wing starting with my drawing above. I guess it could give a better view of things.

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton13/11/2017 13:01:30
8395 forum posts
3407 photos
Hi Chris I am drawing the ribs so dont go mad I would suggest we go for a servo in each wing on this one as we need to control differential quite carefully. So we need a hole for a paper tube for the servo lead.
I think my cursory glance picked out ply lower centre section ribs and balsa on the upper, but it was just a quick look.i would leave tabs off any ply ribs.
Martyns idea of tabs supporting the trailing edge would work on a model with stiffer trailing edge but i think for this one the trailing edge may sag/distort between ribs so I am not sure I would go that route. I wont be adding spruce though.....too heavy! Maybe something to stiffen the trailing edge would be nice, perhaps some very thin G10 between the 1/16 x 1/4 trailing edges.
Cheers
Danny
Martyn K13/11/2017 15:41:37
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

Where are you thinking of putting the servo Danny and what access do you envisage? That bit has got me scratching me head as well.

Regarding spruce TE capping. It will only add about 3 or 4 gms per panel. Its something we used to do on some free flight contest models and they are far more weight conscious.. With my inherent built in clumsiness, I need all the help I can get laugh

At the end of the day, we will all do things slightly differently, that's the fun of the mass build

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 13/11/2017 15:42:02

richard dalgleish13/11/2017 16:05:46
23 forum posts
7 photos

Hi All

Just been reading some of the latest posts. Regarding fitting of the wing braces, i simply used a razor saw to cut the ribs where shown and slotted in the braces, don't remember having any difficulties.

For the aileron servos i used the Hitec slim wing servos, i think HS125s ??, one on each aileron. I have hundreds of build pictures but unfortunately they are on a old desk top PC now gathering dust up in the loft.

I do have the copy of the feature in RC Scale International if anyone wants a copy? I think it was that feature that inspired me to build mine.

Regards, Richard

Martyn K13/11/2017 16:11:44
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

Hi Richard,

Can you drop me an email at ukcaa1@gmail.com to discuss getting a copy of the article. I'll happily distribute it to anyone who wants a copy.

Thanks

Martyn

richard dalgleish13/11/2017 16:19:37
23 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Martyn

I'll dig it out tonight, i think it was spread over three issues. I'll send you an email later on tonight.

Richard

Martyn K13/11/2017 16:20:20
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

Thanks Richard

Best wishes

Martyn

Jose L. G.13/11/2017 16:37:47
58 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Martyn I`ve send you an e-mail with the magazine articles.

Martyn K13/11/2017 16:45:31
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

Hi Richard,

Another forumite has very kindly sent me copies of the articles. Thank you Jose Luis..

Download from HERE

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 13/11/2017 17:03:43

McG 696913/11/2017 16:53:57
1678 forum posts
731 photos

Well Danny, ... too late for me regarding 'not going mad', but nothing to do with the Fury ribs... wink

Here is my approach of the different rib 'types':

fury_ribtabs_project02_900.jpg

Only the center section has 4 tabs and if being laser cut half way the thickness, I don't think it would represent a difficulty to cut them off after assembly.

I didn't find any ply ribs for the top wing and only 4 needed (3mm ply) at the bottom wing center section.

+1 for me concerning wing servos. As for placement, I'll leave it to the Gurus. angel

Oops... G10? Can somebody tell me what it is, please.

@ Martyn > if there is a way to get a digital/.pdf copy of Richard's RCSI feature , please sign me in. Thanks.

Cheers

Chris

Martyn K13/11/2017 17:00:52
4366 forum posts
2988 photos

Hi Chris

See the previous posting for the download link.

G10 is a very thin fibreglass board sold by Mick Reeves and can be used for skinning. It gives a very hard edge and helps maintain stiffness. A posh and possibly better way of doing what I want to do and possibly lighter but I can use PVA to glue spruce rather than epoxy needed for G/F.

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues