Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Fenton18/11/2017 12:39:15
8396 forum posts
3407 photos
I am sure Andy will be along soon to sort us out. But that drawing does look good doesnt it?
Cheers
Danny
kc18/11/2017 12:46:16
5234 forum posts
159 photos

It occurs to me that as everything internet based is accesible for ever then future scale judges will be able to read all the above 'errors' and fudges and use them against you!

It may have been Boddo who said that scale modelling is to give the illusion that we are watching the real thing. That's the important point, not rivet counting! But I suppose you should try to get it as scale as reasonably possible.

Percy Verance18/11/2017 13:03:31
5717 forum posts
108 photos

It's all down to exactly what floats your boat kc. Speaking of which, we have a chap in our club who is a former boat modeller. The sheer amount of detail he includes on his boats is little short of astonishing. Some years ago he built a Model called Drumbeat of Devon, a fisheries protection vessel. I may be wrong, but I think it was from a Model Slipway kit. It was absolutely beautiful to behold. Even the hydraulic hose unions on the HiAb seacrane were faithfully produced. The portholes were nothing short of individual masterpieces. He said installing each one took quite a few hours along with the hinges etc. Totally mindblowing.

Oddly, actually sailing the models always seemed of much less importance, as he only tended to sail one every couple of years or so. Clearly, for him the joy was in the build. And in fact I've seen some really nice scale jobs over the years spoiled by less than confident piloting skills. But hey, whatever turns you on.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/11/2017 13:05:32

McG 696918/11/2017 13:25:14
1689 forum posts
733 photos

Following Martyn's question, I had another overlay but with the entire bird.

fury_westburg_1930_full_800.jpg

Concerning the top wing, being constant chord, the perspective shows that it matches all right when the size gets the same as the drawing. From the cowl blisters down to the cockpit glass, it seems to nicely match.

May I close my Photoshop now? Laptop is getting a bit warm.

As per Percy's post, I think at least one of us should build a Fury on floats... indecision

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton18/11/2017 14:44:50
8396 forum posts
3407 photos
Well done Chris yes please give your laptop a rest
Cheers
Danny
martin collins 127/11/2017 10:34:51
3 forum posts
5 photos

Picked up a Fury at a bring & buy yesterday, well chuffed, at 60" span looks like it could be a Bryant one? Will probably go electric as i don`t do the glow stuff however if there was a petrol engine that would fit in i would definitely consider that, any thoughts?

Wanted to post some pics but it all looks a bit complicated, can`t i just add one from my laptop, i don`t have a hosting site etc...............Martin

martin collins 127/11/2017 10:43:28
3 forum posts
5 photos

20171127_100228_resized.jpgOk, sussed it, set up an album, here are a couple, the rest are in the album for those interested............Martin20171127_100300_resized.jpg

Danny Fenton27/11/2017 11:32:08
8396 forum posts
3407 photos

Nice one Martin, that does indeed look like the Bryant one.

Thanks for showing us it

Cheers

Danny

McG 696930/11/2017 10:57:09
1689 forum posts
733 photos

Hello to all,

As I can foresee some regular 'glue drying' waiting time during my forthcoming winter build, I thought of preparing some small bits for the Fury in between.

My attention got attracted by the the cowling and front panels 'quick fasteners' (nowadays Dzus fasteners).

The DB plan isn't accurate at all with them as they are simply represented by a 'flat headed' screw being even to small.

fury_1.jpg

I tried to estimate the 'washer' outer diameter and the 'screw' diameter by comparing some pics I have available. The best I came up with is 6 to 8mm OD & 3 to 4mm ID for the washer.

Does someone has some more accurate information, please?

My idea is to make a master and have some PU casting. Or maybe even trying an 'acrylic plus medium' casting.

Cheers

Chris

McG 696905/12/2017 09:44:12
1689 forum posts
733 photos

Hello to all,

I first thought that everybody here had a fine weekend in Brighton... but now, Sint Nicolas being tomorrow, I guess all of you are out buying some toys for the kids... or even already preparing for the big Christmas splash. surprise

Please keep in mind that a 20" scale wooden prop will need some cash as well... frown

But, no probs, my 'washers' will have to wait.

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton05/12/2017 16:06:53
8396 forum posts
3407 photos

Hi Chris, I meant to reply ages ago and it slipped my mind sorry about that

I did the Dzus fasteners, if that is what they are, using a double layer of alloy foil in my plotter, looks pretty good if you squint a bit

dsc_6224 (medium).jpg

Cheers

Danny

Richard Mallam.05/12/2017 16:30:02
11 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Danny,

Compared to most in this thread, I have a lot to learn......! So I am keen to understand what sort of plotter you use (re your last post) and how you manage to get the 'panel' effect.

Could you summarise?

Thanks,

Richard

McG 696905/12/2017 17:25:22
1689 forum posts
733 photos

No probs at all, Danny.

I guess I only meant to be a little sarcastic, blush and to 'bump' the thread up a bit.

I guess those were for your Hurricane build?

Do you have any idea how much the Fury's ones could measure at a 1:6 scale?

Thanks in advance

Cheers & have a great Sint Nicolas tomorrow wink

Chris

Danny Fenton05/12/2017 20:13:27
8396 forum posts
3407 photos

Hi Richard, I use quite an old plotter, a Robo Craft made by Graphtec. The newer version is the Silhouette Martyn and Andy have these.

0954 (large).jpg

The alloy tape is layered to the required thickness, smaller than 1/6 one layer is enough, anything bigger then two layers. The plotter will cut the adhesive foil, though you have to play with the settings to ensure the foil is cut and not the backing

200212dsc_4856.jpg

My Hurricane panels were made by gently forming litho plate and then adhering them to the airframe. This is an option obviously for the Fury

Cheers

Danny

Richard Mallam.06/12/2017 17:18:18
11 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Danny. Do you have a preference for a foil manufacturer - like for instance Flite Metal or something more basic from Hobby King?

Danny Fenton06/12/2017 17:43:10
8396 forum posts
3407 photos

Hi Richard, I have used the Halfords foil but the width is a little limiting. I use air con stuff from Ebay tbh. Though the Flite metal etc are probably better And more expensive. If fuel is involved then perhaps go with the more established stuff?

Cheers

Danny

McG 696906/12/2017 18:37:17
1689 forum posts
733 photos

Richard, if you decide to go the HK route, their iron-on 'Bright Silver' is looking more like 'chrome' than silver. I had to 'temper' it a bit with some wet Scotch Brite for my Ballerina fuselage.

You can also find some cheap 'full chrome' adhesive with free shipping at AliExpress.

Still no one having a constructive idea for the dimensions of the Fury's Dzus fasteners? ... crying

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton07/12/2017 00:43:11
8396 forum posts
3407 photos

Hi Chris, I cannot tell you how big the fasteners are on the Fury but i can tell you how big they are on the Spitfire

These dimensions are of a 50% cad file I have, so double the numbers and divide by 6

dzus at 50 percent.jpg

Can anybody confirm/deny that all DZus fasteners of that period were the same size, as i do not know the answer....

Cheers

Danny

Daithi O Buitigh07/12/2017 01:17:03
1265 forum posts
41 photos

Like all fasteners they would be a standard size (so that the Erks didn't have to carry round an assortment of different size screwdrivers to open them)

In the case of the Spit, they would be 1/2 inch (the RAF hadn't gone metric back then)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 07/12/2017 01:19:58

McG 696907/12/2017 08:21:26
1689 forum posts
733 photos

That's great, Danny. Thank you. yes

So, that's giving us an ID of 2,1mm and a OD of 5,7mm at 1:6 scale.

Or ID = 5/64in and OD = 7/32in in pre-war figures. That's even a bit smaller than I had anticipated.

And at the end, if the scale comp judges are carrying micrometers, we could always justify the use of Spitfire fasteners during the last upgrade of our model... angel

But now I just need to make about sixty of them !

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues