By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric Round The Pole

Could be titled 'Scalextric with WIngs' Anyone remember or do RTP?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pup Cam16/07/2017 19:57:52
44 forum posts
89 photos

I remember being introduced to it at The Rotax Model Flying Club (subsequently amalgamated with Hemel Hempstead MFC) in the very early 70's.

We mainly used to fly own designs and converted KK and Veron Flying Scale rubber kits. Suitable types had retracting undercarriages operated by home brew actuators operated by reversing the power to the model and running the motor from an on board bridge rectifier.

My mate built an own design and beautiful PittsS2 in Rothmans colours ( THE colour scheme for the Pitts IMHO ) the design of which was IIRC passed on to Harry Butler who subsequently kitted it.

We used to go flying at the Model Engineer Exhibition when it was at the New Horticultural Hall (or was it Cental Hall - I can't rmember) where a flying circle was laid out above the trade stands on the ground floor between the two balconies. The circular "runway" was about 2' wide with netting inside to catch wayward models and stop them "going downstairs".

I can't rmember the name of the bods from MAP who ran it by I have vivid memories of their white polystyrene trays packed with the motor of the day, the Mabuchi FT36D.

Happy days!

Alan

Edited By Pup Cam on 16/07/2017 19:58:15

Edited By Pup Cam on 16/07/2017 20:00:44

Edited By Pup Cam on 16/07/2017 20:01:06

Nightflyer17/07/2017 12:50:54
91 forum posts

Re: Pup Cam's post. Yes the Pitts was possibly my favourite RTP model I have a kit still to build in the workshop. I enjoyed my first one when in my teens with a geared motor for aerobatics.

Yes the good old FT36D's the life blood of RTP in the 70's and even today.

I loved RTP at Wembley and then for a while later at Earls Court IIRC and also Alexandra Palace for a year or two.

I think RTP was the young modeller's friend as models could be easily built i.e. sheet profile models, or built up, and there was scope to be inventive, which is why school clubs and cadet or cubs or scouts groups found it popular.

I do think from personal experience with my own children's local cubs and scouts that they can still get hooked on aeromodelling with the likes of gliders and RTP models, as they love something that stimulates them and can be competitive and fun too.

Nightflyer17/07/2017 12:57:29
91 forum posts

Meant also to say that aside from the usual KK and Veron models that Guillows range also lent themselves to RTP conversion. The B25 and B17 were seen to be the epitome of RTP at the time. I really like the B25 that I have. Of course it was only a matter of time before we could get a Lanc which there is good plan available.

A couple of people built flying boats and I did see a Sunderland, and a Catalina a few times at the MEE and Sandown, although the ultimate I think was a Spruce Goose. Only saw it once as it needed long lines and some power too. Oh to have been able to build a B36 or Bristol Brabazon would have been good. Sadly I don't have the luxury of space to fly on 10m lines in my back garden.

Stumps17/07/2017 13:47:57
47 forum posts

This takes me back... I was in the ATC around 1974/75 and we used to RTP in the drill hall. Now the hall itself wasn't so big that we'd fly the models so that the wing tips weren't that far away from several of the walls. I remember this goodly night when one of the lads was flying his fw190, to give it try just before another (richer) lad was going to hook up a 4 engine job. Anyway the FW is doing its stuff when the CO opened the hall door (which opened into the hall) and off came the right wing ~ crash and burn... Now our CO flew spits during the war, but this was the only (we think) FW he'd ever brought down wink

Peter Miller17/07/2017 13:48:57
8419 forum posts
969 photos
10 articles

. I went to the ME Exhibition for the first time in 1954. It was the Horticultural Hall then.

The RTP was done buy the RAF I think and they had Hunters powered by compressed air with thin hoses down the line. I also seem to remember that they had a system of little flaps on the "airfield" that could be raised and when the aircratf landed the flaps came up and guided them off the runway and back to parking area.

Come on, others must rmember that. it was only 63 years ago!!cheeky

Allan Haynes17/07/2017 16:13:15
2 forum posts

Greetings flyers all - from a lapsed aeromodeller since 1970 ..... (doing trains now .....)

WHO WANTS A VINTAGE BARGAIN ? Talk of electric RTP - I'm putting on eBay this weekend a Harry Butler "starter" kit, complete and unstarted. Bought it in the early 1970s but then got married and never got around to doing it.

All this reminds me of my first RTP experience - in the school gym. We built a thing a bit like a balsa chuck glider, with a Jetex 50 on it. Flew beautifully round our home-bodged pole until the fuel pellet ran out, and it landed perfectly. But it had totally filled the gym with pungent white smoke so we hurriedly closed down and went home. It never did get resurrected.

Found an RCME 25-year jubilee edition amongst my souvenirs - anyone want it ? Did have a copy of edition no.1 but sold that several years ago.

Unless it gets censored - my email address for all enquiries is ... dogwood@supent.com ...

Allan Haynes17/07/2017 23:40:00
2 forum posts

Oooops, too many fingers (or not enough) ..... email address above should read dogwood@supanet.com.

Also got a part-built KK Outlaw on eBay at the moment, finishes on Sunday.

Ta.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
TJD Models
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
SHREK
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us