By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?

Another interesting new Tx coming from FrSky.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath19/04/2018 22:38:25
2552 forum posts
197 photos

John, I agree it's a quick job ... once you've located the lead and fished the receiver out of the depths of a model I suppose rebinding doesn't take long either. Then, I would need to check everything to see if there aren't a few nasties and the model behaves as it should. None of it hard but I have a lot of models on the Taranis.

What's that? First world problem

Geoff

John Privett19/04/2018 22:45:03
5672 forum posts
219 photos

Yep - finding (or not!) the right cable and digging out the receiver was certainly the longest part of the job.

Rebinding is a matter of only a few seconds too. If you're transferring across models from the Taranis then I found that I could import them all via Companion (though I made the mistake of also importing the radio settings and had to re-calibrate the sticks!) You will need to set up the telemetry display screens on the Horus.

Bob Cotsford20/04/2018 08:41:51
7162 forum posts
405 photos
Posted by John Privett on 19/04/2018 22:45:03:

Yep - finding (or not!) the right cable and digging out the receiver was certainly the longest part of the job.

Rebinding is a matter of only a few seconds too. If you're transferring across models from the Taranis then I found that I could import them all via Companion (though I made the mistake of also importing the radio settings and had to re-calibrate the sticks!) You will need to set up the telemetry display screens on the Horus.

I keep a lead under the module cover so I can always find it. After transferring the models it's best to check out the switch and slider assignments too. I found my flap (LS) and ignition (S1) and choke (S2) channel assignments no longer where I expected them.

Andy4820/04/2018 12:10:51
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 21:37:10:

That's what I was afraid of Andy. I had a suspicion that was the case! Thanks. Presumably it works from the .frk files I've just saved to the Firmwares folder I've just created on the Horus's SD card.

Not ordinary servo leads, either - the connectors need to female at both ends (ie with sockets as fit into receiver pins) - I know there's some confusion over the gender of servo leads. If a connector has pins it's male as far as I'm concerned.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 21:42:46

That's no real problem. HK sell 10 female to female leads for £1.34. Fill yer boots! laugh

**LINK**

With a permanent SPort lead fitted to each receiver, it then makes swapping telemetry from one plane to another a job of seconds.

I prefer to use yellow/black leads for the SPort, to identify it from the normal orange/brown JR/Specktum servo leads I normally use. I bought 10 F to F leads from Banggood for about 40p each, only there turned out to be 5 in each pack! Doubt I'll ever run out now.

Andy4820/04/2018 12:17:23
1333 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/04/2018 21:50:16:
Oh and if you do start updating receivers by using Horus, check out the supply voltage on the module bay pins. I have a feeling it might be too high for the receivers.

No problem here Chris. The Horus X10 has a nominal supply voltage of 7.2v, ie a 2S lipo which at full chat is 8.4v. The main FrSky XR and SR receivers are all 4v-10v.

The Horus 12S is a bit close to the bone with a 9.6v NiCad battery.

Andy4820/04/2018 12:19:59
1333 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 22:38:25:

John, I agree it's a quick job ... once you've located the lead and fished the receiver out of the depths of a model I suppose rebinding doesn't take long either. Then, I would need to check everything to see if there aren't a few nasties and the model behaves as it should. None of it hard but I have a lot of models on the Taranis.

Geoff

There are no nasties in just upgrading the rx firmware. There are a few minor nasties when you upgrade OpenTX from 2.1 to 2.2 as has been mentioned above.

Bob Cotsford20/04/2018 14:39:32
7162 forum posts
405 photos

One point to bear in mind if you do the update in place, the receiver and anything connected to it gets the tx voltage. Not a problem for most servos (I've not had any issues doing it - yet!) but I know some servos can be a bit touchy about supplied voltages.

Geoff Sleath20/04/2018 22:09:16
2552 forum posts
197 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 20/04/2018 12:19:59:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 22:38:25:

Geoff

There are no nasties in just upgrading the rx firmware. There are a few minor nasties when you upgrade OpenTX from 2.1 to 2.2 as has been mentioned above.

By 'nasties' I meant there may not be perfect change over from the Taranis logical switch designations to the Horus so it all needs to be checked. As a simple example I use S2 as a volume control on the Taranis but that appears as the 6 position switch on the Horus. And there were some funnies with the rate switch settings. Nothing major but it all has to be checked and it takes time I'm currently spending finishing off my DB Cirrus (actually Gypsy in my case) Moth. And of course I was flying today. Being retired is very busy and there are NO holidays - it's a full time 24/7 job.

Geoff

Geoff Sleath21/04/2018 16:29:51
2552 forum posts
197 photos

I'm having a little difficulty finding the right EU frk file for X8R receivers. I've tried X8R_eu_150121.frk and I can't make it bind. I also tried RX8R_150116.frk which is the newest one on the FrSky web site and that didn't work either.

I've been using the Horus to write the firmware to the receiver and I've never done that before. As an experiment I tried rewriting the .frk file I'd previously written to the receiver with my Taranis when I converted it from eu to international (X8R_150115.frk) and was able to bind it to my Taranis easily. The only difference between the operations is the different file so I guess I'm using the wrong one.

I've set the Horus to D16 Ch1-Ch8 and Ch1-8 Telem ON when I try to bind.

What firmware file is needed?

thanks in anticipation.

Geoff

Bob Cotsford21/04/2018 16:38:51
7162 forum posts
405 photos

I'm pretty sure that X8R_LBT_build151118.frk is the one I'm using. If all else fails I should have a copy on my other PC that I could email to you.

This page actually lists both the 150118 frk and a more recent version

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/04/2018 16:42:12

Geoff Sleath21/04/2018 16:49:50
2552 forum posts
197 photos

Thanks Bob. I just found that one and tried it successfully. There seem to be so many versions around it gets confusing. Actually I think the RX8 file I tried is for a different receiver from the X8R I'm trying to rebind. I think it will work for the X6R receivers I have as well.

The page you've linked is the one where I found the X8R_LBT_15118.frk file ... then, believe it or not, I found I'd already downloaded it ages ago but ignored it as I was all on international firmware on the Taranis RF section.

Geoff

John Privett21/04/2018 18:48:14
5672 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/04/2018 16:38:51:

This page actually lists both the 150118 frk and a more recent version

I downloaded the later one (version 1702102) and flashed X8R and X6R receivers with it.

Geoff Sleath21/04/2018 22:12:13
2552 forum posts
197 photos

Now you tell me! I'm sticking to X8R_LBT_151118.frk. It seems to work - in the workshop at least and, hopefully, in anger at the field.

After the best part of a day getting models transferred to the Horus I feel quite virtuous. I've actually only got 4 on X receivers, the rest are on V8 types that don't need any firmware changing (in fact there's no way of doing it AFAIK) but it's still time consuming and the worst bit is getting those springy antennas back in their places. 2.4 gHz antennae are certainly smaller than the long 35Mhz ones but I find them more difficult to locate.

One feature I haven't seen mentioned is the difficulty of switching off the transmitter if it's still connected via telemetry to an X type receiver (a warning and the need to press the 'return' button) . That's a useful feature except when you're trying to check fail safes as I was.

Geoff

Andy4821/04/2018 22:22:45
1333 forum posts
1 photos

There is a bug in that warning, in that it is not very clear and the message scrolls off the screen. It is corrected in version 2.2.2 which should be out shortly now that the OpenTX team have finished on the X-Lite transmitter. This version also has a bootloader at last. Yipee! Agree it's a bit of a pain when checking failsafes!

If you have any planes with 4 stroke engines and X type receivers in them, then I really would install the latest receiver firmware.

Bob Cotsford22/04/2018 10:52:54
7162 forum posts
405 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 21/04/2018 22:22:45:

There is a bug in that warning, in that it is not very clear and the message scrolls off the screen. It is corrected in version 2.2.2 which should be out shortly now that the OpenTX team have finished on the X-Lite transmitter. This version also has a bootloader at last. Yipee! Agree it's a bit of a pain when checking failsafes!

If you have any planes with 4 stroke engines and X type receivers in them, then I really would install the latest receiver firmware.

did you mean petrol engines and xtypes?

Andy4822/04/2018 13:51:22
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Probably.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues