By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Radio decisions, stick with 35mhz or go to 2.4Ghz??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance02/08/2017 21:52:45
5661 forum posts
108 photos

Purely out of curiosity Paul, were you aware of Mike Ridley prior to this thread?

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/08/2017 21:53:35

Paul james 802/08/2017 22:17:40
64 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 02/08/2017 21:52:45:

Purely out of curiosity Paul, were you aware of Mike Ridley prior to this thread?

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/08/2017 21:53:35

No Percy, I got in contact with Mike due to the helpful advice given on this thread.

Edited By Paul james 8 on 02/08/2017 22:17:56

Paul james 821/10/2017 12:11:07
64 forum posts
8 photos

Just a quick update on the 35mhz situation........

I've stuck with it and acquired a few more receivers, both single and dual band and have them fitted to a growing fleet of models, mostly from the Flair Scout series.

No major problems to report as a result of any radio failures to date, one pot failed in the transmitter but I was able to get a replacement quickly and sort that out.

Frank Skilbeck21/10/2017 12:25:49
3786 forum posts
91 photos

Several fliers at our club still on 35 mhz, and I've just rejoined them, having a few 35 mhz receivers I thought why not, so new battery for my 35 mhx MPX Cockpit Sx and my Flair D7 with Laser 61 flew just great with a MPX IPD Rx. Even better I've got the short 35 mhz aerial so don't have to worry about extending it.

Paul james 821/10/2017 13:19:24
64 forum posts
8 photos

I have a couple of Flair D7's Frank, one has the old OS80 with rear pushrods which flies beautifully, the other has a 90 size of some sort, haven't got round to refurbishing that yet but they are both on 35mhz

Also two Pups, two Magnatillas and the most recent addition an SE5A A new Magnatilla kit in the box for the grandsons Chritsmas pressie as well, they make as good an aileron trainer as you'll get I reckon!

The Flair/CMP Sukhoi came out pretty well too!

Percy Verance21/10/2017 14:05:17
5661 forum posts
108 photos

Stick with 35mhz or go to 2.4ghz?

Not really a problem if you have a modular Multiplex transmitter. Even a 30 year old one can be switched to 2.4ghz by plugging in the conversion module, which takes all of three seconds. You retain full 35mhz capability too, at the flick of a switch. No aerials to remove, nor anything to disconnect. Just switch over to 2.4, or back again to 35 in a second. Best of both worlds.

The IPD receivers were extremely good in electric models too, being very resistant to interference from esc's etc. I used IPD receivers with a Futaba transmitter for a while. And while others were getting occasional glitching in the air, I got nothing...... The failsafe was a bonus too. Not many other 35mhz receivers had one.  And of course if your Mpx transmitter was fitted with a Channel Check module, it wasn't possible to shoot another 35mhz user down. If only all 35mhz transmitters had been fitted with it........

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 14:21:58

Mike T21/10/2017 15:53:11
257 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 14:05:17:

You retain full 35mhz capability too, at the flick of a switch. No aerials to remove, nor anything to disconnect. Just switch over to 2.4, or back again to 35 in a second. Best of both worlds.

Is that a feature of the software, Percy, or have you had some internal wiring mods to achieve this?

Other makes of modular tx are available - e.g. JR, Futaba and Hitec. I have both JR and Futaba, but keep one for 35MHz as I don't like swapping modules around (I understand the pins/sockets are not intended for 'cycling.'

Re Channel Check - impressive. Even more so if it stopped you from being shot down (but I don't believe it did...)

Edited By Mike T on 21/10/2017 15:53:42

Percy Verance21/10/2017 17:44:43
5661 forum posts
108 photos

It's a feature of the module design I guess Mike. Multiplex introduced the said module a good few years back now. In fact it was offered prior to their complete 2.4ghz sets going on sale, presumably to help users of existing sets to move to 2.4ghz if they wished to do so . No wiring changes or mods were/are required. You simply plug it in, test/range check it and go......

Re: Channel Check MIke. Multiplex offered this as an option, and I chose it for my transmitters simply to cover myself. In my club, if you shot someone down on 35mhz then you replaced the model and picked up the tab for damage to gear and engine etc. And yes Mike, a clever innovation Channel Check. As you're aware Mike other makes of transmitter were not fitted with it, but unfortunately Multiplex had no control over those!  It certainly offered total protection against those whom had more than one transmitter, and turned up to fly thinking they were on a particular channel when they were actually on another! In addition MIke, the Channel Check facility also offered a built in scanner too, which was useful at times, particularly for someone a large slope. They might see another model flying several hundred yards along the slope, but have no idea what channel the other flyer was using. The scanner revealed all.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 18:08:19

Mike T21/10/2017 19:43:32
257 forum posts
19 photos

yes

Percy Verance21/10/2017 20:32:12
5661 forum posts
108 photos

Hi Again Mike.

If you're still curious about the Mpx 2.4ghz conversion module, it's here http://www.multiplex-rc.co.uk/combo-hfmx-v2-m-link-with-rx-5-light-m-link-rx-7-shown-169-p.asp

It simply plugged into the DIN charge/trainer socket on the top or rear of the tx, And the main body of the module - which was about a centimetre thick - was attached with velcro to the rear of the tx. Both aerials remained in place, as did the 35mhz module, and a switch on the module meant you could revert to 35mhz simply and easily......

If the link doesn;t work Mike, then search for  Mpx hfmx V2

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 20:36:01

PatMc21/10/2017 20:41:43
3408 forum posts
453 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 21/10/2017 12:25:49:

Several fliers at our club still on 35 mhz, and I've just rejoined them, having a few 35 mhz receivers I thought why not, so new battery for my 35 mhx MPX Cockpit Sx and my Flair D7 with Laser 61 flew just great with a MPX IPD Rx. Even better I've got the short 35 mhz aerial so don't have to worry about extending it.

I fitted a FrSky hack module to my 35Mhz Cockpit Sx & a switch to be able select either 2.4Ghz or 35Mhz at will.
Mainly use the Tx for vintage models or indoor types & I also keep a spare 35Mhz Rx handy for bench testing new electric motors etc. With synth Rx's it allows complete flexibility on 35Mhz plus the advantages of 2.4Ghz excluding full telemetry.

Frank Skilbeck21/10/2017 22:22:40
3786 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by PatMc on 21/10/2017 20:41:43:

I fitted a FrSky hack module to my 35Mhz Cockpit Sx & a switch to be able select either 2.4Ghz or 35Mhz at will.
Mainly use the Tx for vintage models or indoor types & I also keep a spare 35Mhz Rx handy for bench testing new electric motors etc. With synth Rx's it allows complete flexibility on 35Mhz plus the advantages of 2.4Ghz excluding full telemetry.

I made an external one with the Mk1 Frsky DIY module, protocol no longer works with later Rxs, it was OK but would occasionally glitch on channel 7, don't use it much these days.

Geoff Sleath21/10/2017 22:49:36
2010 forum posts
113 photos

I did the same with my Multiplex 3030, Frank. I haven't used it since I bought a Taranis but I'll keep the transmitter to use on 35 Mhz with the Multiplex IPD receivers I still have. I just plugged my Frsky conversion into the DIN charge/buddy socket and it attaches to the 35Mhz antenna socket quite neatly (that's just a support btw - it doesn't use the 35Mhz antenna itself.)

I hadn't thought about its not working with later receivers but it doesn't matter as it served its purpose and won't ever be used again.

Geoff

Max Z22/10/2017 08:50:52
385 forum posts
175 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 20:32:12:

Both aerials remained in place, as did the 35mhz module, and a switch on the module meant you could revert to 35mhz simply and easily......

To explain this a bit further: MPX has for decades used a system whereby connecting two pins on the DIN-socket shuts down the HF part of the transmitter. The main use of this is Trainer-Student operation, the plug at the student end of the umbilical cord would have those two pins shorted. The Hfmx module employs this by using the on/off switch of the module at the same time to connect and disconnect these same two pins, i.e module on = transmitter HF off and vice versa.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 22/10/2017 08:52:55

Edited By Max Z on 22/10/2017 08:53:54

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues