Forum sponsored by CML

Newbie attempts Ben Buck Junior 60

Advice (of course...)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Clayton13/09/2017 15:59:26
23 forum posts
14 photos

This is very encouraging - Thanks Peter and Ikura! In fact Ikura it's the vintage models that I really love!

Ikura13/09/2017 16:08:51
68 forum posts

You are doing a great job and the way you are building you will end up with a fine flying model and a real treasure.

I have a collection of Vintage part and full kits for future builds, such as the Playboy, Buzzard Bombshell, Viking, Zipper and a few others.

Vintage models are always lovely and I doubt there are many who don't secretly wish they had built one when they see one they really like. I think it's more than nostalgia, it's more to do with Vintage models being the real thing, rather than a model version of a real aircraft.

Another thing to love about Vintage models is nearly all of them fly exceptionally well, like the Junior 60.

Keep us updated on how things are going and all the very best.

Tom Clayton13/09/2017 16:20:58
23 forum posts
14 photos

You're right Ikura - I've tried to analyse just what it is about them that sets them apart, it's not just their vintage. I think the men who designed them, having few precedents and no computer modelling, had to think deeply about 'the air', hence they created something very honest and charming.

And yep - I'll let you know how it's coming along!

gangster14/09/2017 09:53:24
686 forum posts
7 photos

Looks. Like you are doing well Tom. Many established builders would be proud of that. You will be fine with that motor very similar power train to what I have in my J 60. BUT unless I am wrong I would imagine it would be capable or giving over 500 watts on a 3s That is over twice as much welly as that model will need. Over power a J60 and it will never fly and will climb like mad keep the power down and it will be so lovely to fly. Simple cure will be to limit the Throttle throw. You must set the throttle throw to 100% calibrate the esc (just ask us how if you need to) then reduce throttle travel to about 40 or 50 %. You MUST set the esc 100% calibration first though. Don't underdo the down thrust either

gangster14/09/2017 09:59:16
686 forum posts
7 photos

You also asked about the motor mount. Your method looks similar to mine a piece of 1/4 ply sitting pver the bearers reinforced as necessary ideally slotting on 3 sides of the bearers. Where are you putting the battery. Try to avoid a system that requires the wing off each time you change it. I have built a battery box under the motor and the battery slides in from the front. Velcro holds it in and a strip of 1/16 ply acts as a removal tool to split the Velcro.

Broken Prop14/09/2017 13:04:21
483 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tom

I too have the battery positioned under the motor on my J60, with access from the front. There is room to build a battery box for a 2200 LiPo and with the weight of the battery up front you may not need any ballast.

Good luck with the build and please show us some more when you can.

Pete

Tom Clayton15/09/2017 15:10:38
23 forum posts
14 photos

Hello Broken Prop and ganster, er... don't really know how to field this...I decided to put the battery in the cockpit and it's too late to reverse it now. sarcastic 2

gangster15/09/2017 16:11:07
686 forum posts
7 photos

Tom. I am sure it will be fine there only take a minute or so to change

gangster15/09/2017 16:11:08
686 forum posts
7 photos

Tom. I am sure it will be fine there only take a minute or so to change

Don Fry15/09/2017 17:28:25
1698 forum posts
24 photos

Tom, as an alternative, can't you put the battery upright behind the motor, in front of the front of wing bulkhead. It is really important to get weight forward in vintage models. It might not be pretty, but it will work. They built engines from lead in those days. If you are not careful, when you do the centre of gravity check at the finishing stage, you will need a dose of lead to balance it.

A J60 will tolerate weight, but is better, much better, light.

Tom Clayton15/09/2017 19:24:47
23 forum posts
14 photos

Don - I think I've really fouled up here. In my ignorance I've made a bracket to hold the ESC directly behind the bulkhead - and I've made it bomb proof. In my enthusiasm I've been looking, a bit too intently perhaps, at some very accomplished modeller's and their modifications, and I've deviated from the plans. This is the build that caught my eye>don.jpg

Ikura15/09/2017 19:41:50
68 forum posts
Posted by Tom Clayton on 15/09/2017 19:24:47:

Don - I think I've really fouled up here. In my ignorance I've made a bracket to hold the ESC directly behind the bulkhead - and I've made it bomb proof. In my enthusiasm I've been looking, a bit too intently perhaps, at some very accomplished modeller's and their modifications, and I've deviated from the plans. This is the build that caught my eye>

Don't worry. It's made of balsa so everything is recoverable. Can you post a pic or two of where you are at with it?

Tom Clayton15/09/2017 20:14:01
23 forum posts
14 photos

Here we goesc 3.jpg

Tom Clayton15/09/2017 20:14:38
23 forum posts
14 photos

esc 2.jpg

Ikura15/09/2017 20:21:26
68 forum posts

Hi Tom,

How far off finishing the wings are you? The reason I ask is that I wouldn't start changing anything until you have everything built and you can then see what kind of balance you are working with.

The covering will change things but you will at least be able to see if things are fairly close to where you need to be.

Even with a lot of lead up front the Junior 60 will fly well and if heavy it will be better, a lot better, on windy days.

Looking at the pictures you are really doing a superb build.

Chin up and just carry on with the build. It will work out fine.

David.

Tom Clayton15/09/2017 20:26:47
23 forum posts
14 photos

David - Thanks, again. I'm about to start on the wing, maybe I'll get the chance to do some work over the weekend, I'll let you know. Hope you have a good weekend too!

Ikura15/09/2017 20:40:07
68 forum posts

The great thing about building models from balsa and ply is that just about everything is fixable, can be altered and modified as and when you want/need to do it.

Foam models have their place and I admit to flying a Multiplex Heron and Fun Cub but in general, balsa built models look better, fly better and are better. I prefer balsa built sailplanes to any moulded models, but that's just me.

Also, every time you build a balsa/ply model you learn a bit more and use that knowledge on the next build, or if you are stupid like me you get to repeat the same mistakes.

I once built a very complicated wing and left the wing spars flush with the end rib, completely forgeting that there was a thick ply root rib yet to be fitted. I wondered why the tapered spars were slightly too long the other end.

You building skills are obviously to a high standard and you will end up with something special when you have the Junior 60 finished. It will undoubtedly fly well and there's no need to worry about it at all.

You have a good weekend too.

David.

Tom Clayton16/09/2017 12:10:39
23 forum posts
14 photos

igull.jpg

Motor mount arrived this a.m. - custom made by 'iGULL' (Neil Gillies) Super fast turnaround and it fits like a glove! Beautiful work!nerd

Ikura16/09/2017 20:48:30
68 forum posts

thumbs up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SHREK
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
TJD Models
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us