By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TartanMac08/02/2018 06:28:42
206 forum posts
137 photos

I was thinking about using epoxy as I used it on an exhaust before and it sealed well.

ken anderson.08/02/2018 08:03:56
7947 forum posts
723 photos

give clear silicone(fish tank quality) a go, you'll find it does the job problems getting it off should you need to. I've used it for exhaust gaskets on 2 stokes...last I bought was £5.00 for a small tube

ken gasket dept.

Jon - Laser Engines08/02/2018 10:16:44
3508 forum posts
144 photos

i used loctite 595 here at the factory. it stinks though

TartanMac22/02/2018 21:05:09
206 forum posts
137 photos

15193314268391737277795.jpgWell after a good wait I got what I needed. I looked around loctites site maybe I was on the wrong part of it or wrong site but they had very poor descriptions for the wide variety of choice between there products. I ended up going to buy 620 but after being on ebay found 641. I was looking at 574 sealant but the price and the fact the 595 says it is flexible and also your recommendation Jon I went for the 595.

I was wondering about the sealer and thought is it better to put it on and just torque it up straight away or should I partially torque it till it just starts to set then torque it right up ? I was going to take the inner seal off the bearing but was wondering what your recommendation for that would be Jon as I have removed factory fitted bearings off a few engines that had both seals fitted.

Jon - Laser Engines22/02/2018 23:12:52
3508 forum posts
144 photos

yup, rear seal off the bearing and give it the full beans with the torque

onetenor23/02/2018 04:59:19
1537 forum posts

I have used the original orange RTVR to good effect but only because as a mechanic I had it on stock. However I have also used very cheap clear silicone. I run as thin as I can a bead of silicone and spread it to a thin layer.I wait . a minute or two until the layer gets a film on it .I then screw it up until it starts to squeeze out then wait a few minutes more . Then tighten down.Doing it this way reduces chances of blobs forming inside then breaking off and rolling round and maybe causing probs inside. Not very likely at this size but on full size these blobs could block an oil way. Clean off any oozed stuff with a sharp blade. Job jobbed.You now should have a perfect seal that will last. Any silicone should do but if you can get an industrial, mechanics, or even a glass sealant type ( aquarium seal ) so much the better. They are usually a bit stronger and don't be impatient. Allow time for the initial setting to take place as even if the even if the softer bit squeezes out the SKINS will remain as the seal. Good luck.

John ------- Silicone seals dept.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues