Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Gyro on delta

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Kenny23/09/2017 22:01:58
235 forum posts
58 photos

I have a WISE stabiliser unused in a previous model and after reading this month's RCME, I'm thinking of putting it in a new plane before flying it the first time. But, the plane is a delta.

Having no manual for the device and nothing on the manufacturer's site, is it possible to connect up this stabiliser to work on a delta?

Simon Chaddock23/09/2017 23:14:32
4965 forum posts
2577 photos

Tony

Is this the plane the system came from?

If so it is a dedicated unit for use in a conventional plane with ailerons, rudder and elevator. To use it your delta must have separate elevator and aileron surfaces driven by separate servos. .

To use conventional delta 'elevons requires a specific switch setting in the gyro unit. You cannot use the elevon setting in the transmitter with a gyro..

Denis Watkins24/09/2017 09:05:11
1954 forum posts
97 photos

With any stabiliser, the servos are plugged into the relevant sockets marked aileron, rudder and elevator.

An extra socket is usually provided for on/off on Aux1 channel.

If the stabiliser is not also a receiver, then bridge leads are used to connect each output, where the servo connection came from

So some of the stabiliser can be used on some axis if all surfaces do not have individual servos

Stabilise those surfaces that you can

Chris Walby24/09/2017 09:31:56
243 forum posts
23 photos

I have a Yeti delta and had a play around with a AR636 RX more as an experiment on changing settings and seeing the affect as the RX is destined for something else + an AS3x on a carbon Yak that works well when you want it too (blustery conditions).

I found as my Yeti has no rudder and small control surfaces that it is most unstable in blustery cross wind near the point of stall and here lies the issue it can only help if its got something to work with, just like us!

IMHO conclusion: try it out on a low cost model with aileron/elevator & rudder that gets blown about (foam trainer) as you'll see the biggest difference and if it goes pear shape there is not a lot too fill the bin liner.

There is no doubt it works and on the right model you can fly in more challenging conditions without it being thrown all over the place. The key for me is it takes some risk out of landing the model and that's where I use it.

PS it is worth mentioning gain and stability, if you go too far you can induce excessive loads on control surfaces & servos (flutter and over correction) so having it switchable is a real help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
TJD Models
SHREK
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues