Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil 925/09/2017 20:48:16
4109 forum posts
194 photos

does anyone know of such a system

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator25/09/2017 20:55:16
14784 forum posts
1310 photos

You mean more than just a throttle control disabling function? An actual physical cut out - not a software one?

BEB

Denis Watkins25/09/2017 20:55:45
2124 forum posts
108 photos

Close proximity magnetic switch, or wireless electronic Phil?

Phil 925/09/2017 21:12:09
4109 forum posts
194 photos

I was thinking of a physical cut off controlled through the tx sort of along the lines of the opto kill switch on petrol engines.

my young son comes with me to the field and is now having a go on the buddy lead, but he likes to run out to the model after landing. I have to stop him and isolate tx battery before allowing him to bring the model back to the pitts. If I could remotely make the model safe I could allow him a little more freedom to play

Martin Harris25/09/2017 21:23:43
7199 forum posts
178 photos

Retract or other high power servo operated arming plug?

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator25/09/2017 21:25:49
6524 forum posts
178 photos

The only 100% safe solution is to disconnect the battery but I guess that means he'd have to approach the model first to remove an "arming plug" or similar which kind of defeats the object.

As BEB says above a throttle disabling mix is probably the next best thing.....mix the throttle back into itself but in the opposite direction (if that makes sense) & put the mix on a switch. Then when the switch is activated the throttle is effectively disabled & any advancement of the throttle control is cancelled out by the mix so the motor cannot start.

This is what I do on all my electric models....with the mix activated any accidental nudge of the throttle stick then has no effect. Do be aware that should you switch the mix off with the throttle high the motor will burst into life.

RC Plane Flyer25/09/2017 21:31:10
365 forum posts
10 photos

On my Hitec flash 7. There is a function button to electronically lock the throttle stick input

Denis Watkins25/09/2017 21:39:20
2124 forum posts
108 photos

You may have seen this on a previous post, it is very common now

download (1).jpg

Frank Skilbeck25/09/2017 21:55:14
3807 forum posts
91 photos

I have the throttle cut on a switch on my radio, which prevent the motor from starting, but here's another option

Phil 925/09/2017 22:51:29
4109 forum posts
194 photos

that jeti switch is what I'm after but it a little expensive

Martin Harris25/09/2017 23:31:40
7199 forum posts
178 photos

How young is he, Phil? The earlier you can ingrain safety habits the better...trying to get septuagenarians who've grown up with IC models to handle electric models safely is a source of constant frustration!

Alternatively, build an IC trainer...wink

Phil 926/09/2017 06:55:59
4109 forum posts
194 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/09/2017 23:31:40:

How young is he, Phil? The earlier you can ingrain safety habits the better...trying to get septuagenarians who've grown up with IC models to handle electric models safely is a source of constant frustration!

Alternatively, build an IC trainer...wink

he is 7 almost eight. He is well behaved around models and I remind him at every visit of the dangers and club rules. so far its been great. His safety is obviously my priority but second to that I want to enhance his experience and make it as enjoyably for him as I can. At this point this seems to be best served by allowing him to do as much for himself as I can whilst keeping him safe

Toni Reynaud26/09/2017 07:27:56
338 forum posts
36 photos

Just a thought - if the Failsafe sets the throttle to closed, then switching off the Tx would render the model about as safe as it can be without actually disconnectoing the battery.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues