Forum sponsored by CML

Loaded Dice 40S - spray painting

Spraying a glassed model - about to make a mess

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ben B11/10/2017 21:30:58
1325 forum posts
4 photos

Mention of 2K paint always gets me worried- are you using a proper ventilated hood? I'm pretty relaxed about most hobby related health hazards but 2K is nasty nasty stuff. Certainly if they contain isocyanates a standard mask isn't good enough- should be air-fed. Spraying 2K paint remains the commonest cause of ocupational lung disease.....

MikeQ11/10/2017 21:47:57
19 forum posts
36 photos

Hi

I was using a filtered mask ... see pic. Plus the garage door was full you open and sprayed at edge of door ... so pretty well ventilated. I couldn't smell it whilst I was spraying. If yo're doing it day in day out I could see your point but doing it now and again at a hobby level is surely not at the Sam end risk level?

Cheers

MikeQ11/10/2017 21:51:22
19 forum posts
36 photos

img_0379b.jpg

Ben B11/10/2017 22:42:22
1325 forum posts
4 photos
I personally still wouldn't. Long term cause asthma type allergies. Acute reactions just kill you. One of my other hobbies is building cars and this topic crops up frequently. It's very tempting to spray 2k rattle cans but it is still dangerous.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/2k-safety-leason-learnt.14051/
Ben B11/10/2017 22:44:59
1325 forum posts
4 photos
Of course it could be isocyanate free
onetenor12/10/2017 05:18:35
1244 forum posts

Super job and what a cracking workshop and so tidy. Puts me to shame. At least use organic filter units on the mask.

Edited By onetenor on 12/10/2017 05:23:37

MikeQ12/10/2017 18:41:24
19 forum posts
36 photos

Hi

Word back from KlassKote is that the paint doesn't contain any isocyanates. Also got the SafetyDataSheet. Looking at the mask it has both P2 and AB1 filters so good for organic/inorganic and particles. Obviously makes sense to be well ventiallated, shower cap, goggle and long sleeved shirt etc and strip out of same as soon as finished. But considering the amount of dope, Cyano fumes, nitro, balsa dust and god knows what else many AeroModellers breathe 0ver the years it's a wonder anyone's left alive.  There seems to be enough old codgers at the Bowden Trophy each year!

Happy to listen to anyone with definitive advice though.

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 12/10/2017 18:43:04

Edited By MikeQ on 12/10/2017 18:46:17

TartanMac12/10/2017 19:00:18
84 forum posts
50 photos
That air frame looks great I like that painting gives the ability to have concave curves and a seamless Finnish looks good in white.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
TJD Models
SHREK
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues