By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

My Hermes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tomtom3912/10/2017 11:46:48
623 forum posts

Im in the bunker (front room ) Steel helmet , gas mask, Bino's and broomstick at the ready . Waiting to coral My Hermes delivery man . I was informed that they turned up yesterday , rang door bell but had no response so left card. Strange as I was in all day! Awaiting re delivery.

john stones 112/10/2017 11:51:55
8567 forum posts
1358 photos

Well a white van just pulled up, he went 2 doors down street so i came inside n left door open. sad

Knock on my door, dog go's off on one and my courier shuts door quick, parcels arrived, feed dog n make Kate a cuppa now. face 1

john stones 112/10/2017 11:59:35
8567 forum posts
1358 photos
Posted by John Tee on 12/10/2017 11:43:35:

From the other side, many years ago(over 10) my wife was a courier for mail order firms and got 50p per parcel. She had a country round which was well spread out and took a lot of time somedays to get round. If no-one was in she would leave a card and then get a call from the firm telling her she had to deliver that day even up to 10pm. After 2 years she told them what to do.

John

I've done multi drop, (pre sat nav days) it can be stressful chasing a clock when traffic messes you up, some doors have no number or just names, which you don't have on your sheet, street sign are missing or covered by a tree/hedge/vehicle, some days are a nightmare no matter how hard you try.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/10/2017 13:17:23
14720 forum posts
1309 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 12/10/2017 11:59:35:
Posted by John Tee on 12/10/2017 11:43:35:

From the other side, many years ago(over 10) my wife was a courier for mail order firms and got 50p per parcel. She had a country round which was well spread out and took a lot of time somedays to get round. If no-one was in she would leave a card and then get a call from the firm telling her she had to deliver that day even up to 10pm. After 2 years she told them what to do.

John

I've done multi drop, (pre sat nav days) it can be stressful chasing a clock when traffic messes you up, some doors have no number or just names, which you don't have on your sheet, street sign are missing or covered by a tree/hedge/vehicle, some days are a nightmare no matter how hard you try.

This is the sort of response we got on the other thread as well - basically "consider the poor courier, it's a very tough job." I don't doubt it, I'm sure the companies are ruthless. But that isn't really my problem is it?

I am offered a service - "pay this much get delivery at this time, pay a bit extra get earlier delivery". So I pay the extra. Then, when it doesn't arrive on time, as paid for, which it frequently doesn't, am I suppose to to just say "Ah well, they are very busy, I have a lot of sympathy with them, never mind"? I don't think so! And what is worse, to weddle out of any liability they lie (yes, let's call a spade a spade), they lie and try to claim it was my fault they couldn't deliver, when in reality they made no attempt whatsoever to deliver my parcel that day.

Remember, this timescale they have failed to meet is not of my design - it is service they offered me, I paid for and didn't get. Not just once, but many times.

Can you imagine any other aspect of life where we would just accept this? Suppose you went to a restaurant and it said steak was on the menu, but for a bit extra you could have fillet steak. So you order the fillet steak, and pay the extra. Now, suppose the waiter comes along and says: "Sorry about this, but the chef is really busy, and he's not paid very much. You have to feel sorry for him. So, its going to be just meat and potato pie and chips I'm afraid - but of course we'll still charge you for fillet steak because while you were at the toilet just now we did bring a fillet steak along - but you missed it."

Would you accept that? Its OK, I think I know the answer to that one! So why do we routinely take it from couriers - pay for one service - get another one defended by a cock and bull story that we know is false?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2017 13:19:39

Tomtom3912/10/2017 13:19:57
623 forum posts

I have a friend who was made redundant a few years ago and the only work that he was able to get was to be either a Mini cab driver or a Courier . I was disgusted to find out how much he got for delivery per parcel and how many he had to do in a day. Fortunately he was able to re-train and is now a manager of our local garden centre.

Still waiting!

Rich too12/10/2017 13:33:44
2388 forum posts
889 photos

I have found DPD to be the best of a bad bunch. We've had the "no one was home" excuse many times..

john stones 112/10/2017 13:39:34
8567 forum posts
1358 photos

Worked for some miserable so n so's in my time, so yes my sympathy usually lies with those down the pecking order, no excuse for him lying though.

Had a delivery once to a posh estate, only an house name on ticket, all houses were names only, all gates locked with intercoms, can't find mine so i ring shop, can you get her to come door n wave at me ? Cooee here i am...sorry madam i couldn't spot your house name sad

Oh we don't leave it out...someone might steal it. face 1

Andy4812/10/2017 14:18:02
1136 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2017 13:17:23:

Remember, this timescale they have failed to meet is not of my design - it is service they offered me, I paid for and didn't get. Not just once, but many times.

Can you imagine any other aspect of life where we would just accept this? Suppose you went to a restaurant and it said steak was on the menu, but for a bit extra you could have fillet steak. So you order the fillet steak, and pay the extra. Now, suppose the waiter comes along and says: "Sorry about this, but the chef is really busy, and he's not paid very much. You have to feel sorry for him. So, its going to be just meat and potato pie and chips I'm afraid - but of course we'll still charge you for fillet steak because while you were at the toilet just now we did bring a fillet steak along - but you missed it."

You should try buying a new caravan BEB. - 3 new British-made caravans, all leaked within the first year. .... Could be a whole new long tedious topic. crying

On a more positive note, the stuff I ordered on Tuesday night at 9pm from HK arrived at 9am this morning by Royal Mail.

iqon12/10/2017 16:37:45
1226 forum posts
234 photos

FED EX & UPS have amalgamated , new name FED UP cheeky

Tomtom3912/10/2017 16:46:36
623 forum posts

Hooray. Its here and in one piece. All forgiven (just drooling over my latest purchase a Proctor DVa in 1/4 scale)

Edited By Tomtom39 on 12/10/2017 16:47:21

Edited By Tomtom39 on 12/10/2017 16:47:43

David P Williams12/10/2017 17:46:04
657 forum posts
256 photos

A lot of it is down to the individual driver - I live in a very rural location and DPD and Hermes are great, their drivers always deliver when expected and leave in the greenhouse if we're not in.

UKMail and APC are the absolute worst. Every time I have paid for express or next day delivery, and it's turned out to be UKMail that are delivering, it has failed to turn up.They will be in the nearest town (12 miles away) and it gets to 4:30 or so, and they can't be bothered to come out here. One of the drivers actually admitted this on one occasion, but usually it's "Oh, the van broke down", or "I wasn't on this run yesterday", or some other lie.

Old Geezer12/10/2017 23:04:53
449 forum posts

Well, I must be lucky, I've only been let down twice so far since we moved here 12 years ago, both times by Hermes, their casual employees can seem to be pretty clueless. Still, if you pay peanuts - - -

Mike Stevens13/10/2017 06:47:11
409 forum posts
57 photos

Whilst i have heard similar stories on another forum and can sympathise if you get bad service I have to say I have, so far never had an issues with delivery guys - occasionally leave parcel behind gate with no card but that is about it and I do live in a rural area. Just the luck of the draw I guess and the personnel they employ in different areas.

Kevin 21613/10/2017 09:20:04
130 forum posts

Our Hermes delivery person is always the same woman or man in a saloon car. No white van see them regularly in the area and they appear to know their patch/people and where to leave parcels if they cannot deliver at the door.

Only problem we have had was when DPD sent two different vans to pick up the same parcel, you can imagine the second drivers reaction.

Stuart Z13/10/2017 17:47:55
211 forum posts

Not had an issue with them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
TJD Models
SHREK
CML
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues