Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Ripmax Bolero

Build and flying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Roberts 1613/10/2017 08:51:36
9 forum posts

Anyone out here built the Ripmax Bolero. Looks a great plane and build quickly and easily, but no reviews or build logs to be found. I know RCM&E did a review few months back but was the electric version. I have built one to the manual with a ASP .52 up front. When balancing found I had to add nearly 200g of lead up front. Is this normal? seems an awful lot of additional weight. Would be great to hear from any others out there with this plane, your builds, logs, flying etc.

Nigel R13/10/2017 09:22:30
848 forum posts
222 photos

Don't own one but interested in it - keep us posted with how it goes.

What's the all up weight minus fuel?

Denis Watkins13/10/2017 09:49:10
2390 forum posts
122 photos

You can see that the Bolero has such a long moment arm

With such big tail surfaces

That it will need weight upfront

Jon - Laser Engines13/10/2017 10:22:27
3466 forum posts
142 photos

is it my imagination or is the bolero just an old bossanova in new colours?

If it is that means all the info out there on the older model will still apply.

DaveyP13/10/2017 10:27:32
164 forum posts
47 photos

They do look the same except the Bolero rudder is bigger and more square.

Nigel R13/10/2017 10:32:47
848 forum posts
222 photos

"That it will need weight upfront"

Denis, I note the Ripmax site lists up to a 90 FS for power. I would guess it balances ok with a weightier powerplant.

John Roberts 1613/10/2017 13:28:01
9 forum posts

Nigel R mine coming in 3130 grams withe the ASP .52 includes the 4.8 v 2300 Nimh battery also a HKing on board glow system.

Agree it does look identical to the Bossanova just a different colour scheme. Interesting if anyone has had both and and can identify any major differences if it is remodelled. Don't mind because the Bossanova gets some good reviews.

john stones 113/10/2017 13:41:21
9065 forum posts
1399 photos

Hype, Wildcard, etc all pretty similar, lightly built so you often manage to balance without lead.

John Roberts 1613/10/2017 13:46:13
9 forum posts

I've got a spare ASP.60 2'stroke that would almost make up the weight deficit at the front, not sure it would fit the cowl the though, also the recommended Engine size is .40 - .55 2 stroke so the .60 would be overpowered, few sites state in big bright red letters the Bolero is not a speed plane should not be flown fast as it will cause structural damage. So a little wary of putting in a larger engine in at this stage, unless some has tried it successfully.

john stones 113/10/2017 14:17:37
9065 forum posts
1399 photos

I used 4 strokes in the ones I've had, fit inverted in the cowls nicely, battery in tank bay if needed for c.g, lot of fun, teach you bad habits though because they're so forgiving. devil

Denis Watkins13/10/2017 14:27:17
2390 forum posts
122 photos

.40 - .46 power is right John, as the .55 is a .46 size motor dimensionally.

The broad wing chord and large surfaces are not as you say for a speed machine, as anything but perfect fittings

Will result in flutter, and bits falling off.

This is one time to put the .60 on something else, as the low speed handling would be lost with the excess forward lump of the .60

Try the .52 on an 11 x 6 and get to know the plane

Percy Verance13/10/2017 16:21:21
6005 forum posts
109 photos

The newer model is an update on the original older one. It was commented on in the magazine road test....... smiley

Nigel R16/10/2017 10:20:08
848 forum posts
222 photos

"coming in 3130 grams withe the ASP .52 includes the 4.8 v 2300 Nimh battery also a HKing on board glow system"

thanks John

Denis Watkins16/10/2017 10:52:11
2390 forum posts
122 photos

Apologies guys but heavy lightweights are no fun. Yours is a perfect set up Nigel.

A buddy at the field stuck a .70 4 stroke on his Wot 4 and immediately transformed it, loosing all the low speed handling, and the quicker landings on the Wot 4 landing gear resulted in a few new undersides.

I digress, our flying style gives us choices, and the Bolero is a beauty.

A modern .46/.52 4s does some and more of what we once knew of .60s, and the extra half pound of .90 can be a step backwards with a lightweight aerobatic

All with respect, and looking forward to your successful report

Andrew Benn 117/10/2017 00:33:43
1 forum posts

I did see a review on a website I can't remember/find again. A guy said they had three Boleros in his club and they all look and fly beautifully but two had the Horizontal stab fail in flight - the third was grounded for strengthening!

Have a look at the Saitos 82/91FS engines. They weigh about the same as a 2St with perhaps a nicer power band for this type of model.

This YT vid shows a guy with a Saito100 on his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZudjvDci4A

John Roberts 1620/11/2017 20:04:54
9 forum posts

Ok all thanks for the advice etc regarding engine size. Drawing a blank on this Ripmax Bolero

Decided to stick with the original recommended engine size as you all recommended, and fitted the ASP .52 2 stroke. Well within its recommended .40 - 55 stroke range.

Have since found it actually needed an additional 500g (a whole 1lb) of lead up front bolted to the engine mount to balance as per instructions and the radio battery is also against the front bulkhead. Seems very very excessive.

Have written to Ripmax regarding the IC / Glow engine fit for the Bolero and balancing, heard absolutely nothing back at all................

Now stuck with a very heavy plane and somewhat reluctant to even try a maiden weighing in at 3500g and states it should be 2900g for glow????? will be a heavy over weight handful, not what i bought it for, Very frustrating does not meet the specifications as advertised.

Cant find any build logs, videos photos, nothing online about the Bolero with a Glow engine fit.

Would appreciate any pics or advice from any Bossanova IC / Glow pilots if they had the same issues or is just the Bolero that doesn't meet specification.

Denis Watkins20/11/2017 20:47:52
2390 forum posts
122 photos

a-artf6720_i.jpgLook at this picture John, if that model weighs 6.5lbs, then that tail weighs 1/2lb

Way out at the rear, those tailfeathers will need 1lb up front

I hope the C of G somehow arrives along that wing just 1" above the name Bolero?

John Roberts 1620/11/2017 21:50:57
9 forum posts

Thanks Denis your building my confidence.smiley

Yes my CofG is at 110mm from Root LE (the plan shows 100-120)

Its just the massive extra weight issue with all that lead, not encountered anything like it before, and of course its increased wing loading (mass) and the effect it will have on flying eg greater speed.

Some dimensions:

Wing Area = Root chord 18 inch - Tip chord 13.5 inch - Span 59inch Wing Area 936 sq inch (6.5 ft Sq)

Advertised: 6.4 lb (102 oz) this give a wing loading of 15.69 oz per foot Sq = Wing Cube load 6.2 (3D capable)

Mine coming in at 7lb 11oz (123 oz) giving a wing loading of 18.9 oz per ft Sq = Wing Cube load 7.4 (Gen Sport Scale)

Mathematically it looks like it will fly, just not as slow or have as much vertical, if any 3D performance.

Guess i will just have to bite the bullet wait for a calmer day before the maiden now.

Steve Dunne22/11/2017 11:15:17
37 forum posts
6 photos

Just to add - we have two club members with Boleros, one an ace aerobatic flyer and one a keen and very good sport flyer. Both have moved their cg back to 140mm to improve the flying - they now describe them as excellent!

My own is nearing completion, and is currently at 140mm without lead...

We will see... sarcastic

Steve.

Denis Watkins22/11/2017 11:49:40
2390 forum posts
122 photos

Oh heck John, I know it is too late but have noticed in the manual and Bolero pics that the elevator and rudder servo mounts vary.

The later Bolero shows 2 servos mounted in the tail, which does add to your C of G woes

Yet other Bolero pics show the push rods exiting the model at the rear, for forward servo mounting ?

This is a mystery, as yes, rear mount servos are more positive due to short push rods

But others seen to have gone for push pull in some cases, and this does reduce nose weight.

Am still enquiring for an answer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
CML
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues