Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Build logs - a dying art?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Flyer21/10/2017 20:25:07
339 forum posts
41 photos

Hi Stevo, I too follow loads of build blogs, but do not feel the need to comment sometimes as others may well have made the same comment. I did a build blog of my A4 Shyhawk for PSS, as I had deviated slightly from the plan. We are constantly learning; I've learnt so many new skills from the build, and I doubt that I would have attempted it without the help of members on here.

Also, I find most members who are highly skilled, readily pass on their techniques. There can be many solutions to a problem, but every now and then an original solution shows itself.

I also think that by doing a blog it encourages one to complete the task; how many members have unfinished moedls in their woirkshops? We all sometimes need a 'kick up the backside' and it's usually down to a task that we are reluctant to undertake (but sometimes is a lot easier that first thought). It also encourages me to work outside my comfort zone and to push myself further.

I know the help and guidance I've received from doing my little blog certainly helped me get a model into the air.

Keep doing your blogs, as most members enjoy them, and if they are truthful, actually learn something. It may be only one little thing, but it certainly makes the hobby more enjoyable.

Well done all you bloggers !! yes

Rich too21/10/2017 20:32:56
2455 forum posts
940 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 21/10/2017 20:00:51:

@Stevo - some of the problem may be that a build is being repeated by someone else so would anyone be interested in another blog on the same model. I'm a bit in this camp myself, i've just recently completed a build of a Wots Wot XL and did think about recording what I'd done but as 2 or 3 others had done the same, thought better of it. The only things I have published are where I've done something different to the others. I also have 2 kits to build, both of which have already been splendidly covered by others so, as with the WWXL I intend only to publish the differences.

Personally I really enjoy reading build blogs, as others have said, its great to see the way others (with a lot more experience than me) tackle the various jobs.

What I would also like to see are blogs on repairs that have been made to 'broken' planes, from foam through to stick and tissue as I believe this is an area where individual ingenuity shines through!

@JohnS - never mind club forums our club meetings are just the same and you can often see the tumble weed rolling by during the course of one! With a club membership of over 100 we rarely see more than 10 non committee members show up!

Anyway, all this has jolted me into recording a build that I'm doing at the moment, a bit different as it's for an indoor 'plane as that season is nearly upon us.

I wouldn’t worry Ron, I think keeping a thread going with another build of the same model is adding useful information and a great point of future reference.

Richard Ashworth21/10/2017 20:33:28
10 forum posts
4 photos

As a silent follower all I can say to all those who who post a big thank you.

Two years ago I started screwing foamies together and subsequently learning repair techniques and how best to use gorilla glue. Reading build blogs this year gave me the courage and confidence to build a dark side ARTF Acro Wot in April. Flys well thanks to tips picked up and understanding how much you need to think ahead at all stages of putting planes together.

Oh yes, lastly thanks for the humour!

RICHARD WILLS21/10/2017 21:10:32
326 forum posts
35 photos

So you see Steve , a veritable deluge of response!wink

I suppose the thing that is easy to forget is that we all enjoy a hobby that is not as socially acceptable as football

(there'e irony for you ) so if we don't support each other , we will all be talking to the mirror .

in fact I've just had a long chat with mine....

Tim Hooper21/10/2017 21:16:58
2801 forum posts
2346 photos

I'm happy to do a build blog of my own-design scratch builds, and it's great to get the responses, advice and encouragement from other forum members as we go along!

However, I don't do blogs for the designs of others, as they'll probably be covered in my column anyway.

Tim

Martyn K21/10/2017 21:29:41
4337 forum posts
2962 photos
I used to be an ardent blogger, less so now. Compared to other sites such as Facebook, its actually quite cumbersome to maintain a blog here where each photo has to be selected and uploaded then reselected for the post. Its also not very mobile friendly which means that uploading images from the smart phone is difficult. I have moved on from using a separate camera so that adds another step in the process having to transfer the images to my pc. Finally, its hard to keep motivated when there is very little interaction from the reading public. Sometimes i have no idea if what i have written is being read is of interest or considered rubbish. A like or thumbs up/down button for the posts would go some way to at least indicate that a post has been read.

Edited By Martyn K on 21/10/2017 21:30:54

Denis Watkins21/10/2017 21:34:38
2043 forum posts
104 photos

Showing everyone your shed, your building board and your efforts takes great courage

Laying out the good, the bad and the beautiful.

In any other field of play, you guys would be the "strikers"

Thanks to all you exhibitors for showing us so much

Rich too21/10/2017 21:36:27
2455 forum posts
940 photos

I agree re the photos but I like the fact that the site hosts them, there is nothing worse than going on a forum for reference material to find you cannot view the photos because they were hosted elsewhere.

Percy Verance21/10/2017 21:56:03
5661 forum posts
108 photos

Build blogs - a dying art?

I shouldn't think so. It would be a mistake to assume the only models being built are those seen on here. We have a chap in our club whom has no interest in computers, and consequently never goes online. He's an extremely prolific builder, producing about a dozen models a year. He builds to an extremely high standard too, and whenever he does decide to sell one of his creations, there is no shortage of takers.

There must surely be others like him?

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 22:01:45

PeterF21/10/2017 22:19:05
257 forum posts
385 photos
Posted by Rich too on 21/10/2017 21:36:27:

I agree re the photos but I like the fact that the site hosts them, there is nothing worse than going on a forum for reference material to find you cannot view the photos because they were hosted elsewhere.

Yes, the Photobucket changes have removed my photos from a build log in RC ScaleBuilder. I then moved to RC Groups and have now settled here. The trouble I had with my build logs was the extended time for larger complex builds as I worked away from home a lot. I have just retired laughcake, so I should get more shed time yes and add to the build logs. I enjoy looking through other people's, I get a lot of ideas and inspiration as there are only a couple of other builders of complex kits in my club.

Jonathan M22/10/2017 06:51:33
285 forum posts
56 photos

Posted by Martyn K on 21/10/2017 21:29:41:

I used to be an ardent blogger, less so now.

Its actually quite cumbersome to maintain a blog here where each photo has to be selected and uploaded then reselected for the post.

Finally, its hard to keep motivated when there is very little interaction from the reading public. Sometimes i have no idea if what i have written is being read is of interest or considered rubbish. A like or thumbs up/down button for the posts would go some way to at least indicate that a post has been read.

Yes, the method of getting photos to a post is ridiculously time-consuming on this site, but once things are entrenched then its unlikely they'll ever be changed...?

I know the feeling of appearing to be 'ignored'. I think a great many people are interested, but are either shy of posting any contribution, or feel that a build-blog isn't a conversation. But this 'respectfulness' can be jolly unhelpful and dispiriting to someone taking the trouble to share, and there's a balance to be found. So a 'thumbs-up/down/horizontal' icon would be a splendid idea - to encourage the lurkers!

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 21:56:03:

Build blogs - a dying art?

I shouldn't think so. It would be a mistake to assume the only models being built are those seen on here. We have a chap in our club whom has no interest in computers, and consequently never goes online. He's an extremely prolific builder, producing about a dozen models a year. He builds to an extremely high standard too, and whenever he does decide to sell one of his creations, there is no shortage of takers.

There must surely be others like him?

The irony is that the less time that is wasted on computers, the more building that can be done!!

I blog some of my builds on another site (FF stick & tissue scale), and contribute to the threads of others. I see it as an adjunct to building - learning, sharing, asking specific questions, enjoying the humour, etc.

Must dash - got a model to progress! laugh

David Davis22/10/2017 07:21:00
2646 forum posts
445 photos

All of my builds have ground to a halt! I've been too busy doing up the house and bankrupting myself over the last six months!

I've now got a queue of models waiting for basic maintenance. angry

Percy Verance22/10/2017 08:17:47
5661 forum posts
108 photos

Oh well, plenty to keep you busy while you await the return of your transmitter David..... wink

Stevo22/10/2017 12:00:41
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Honestly guys I'm overwhelmed by your kind responses. Thank you so much.

I'll see how far requesting a 'Like' button goes this time - please pick upon that and add your two penneth

Once again thank you for all that have read this and replied!!!

Request for a 'like' button

Edited By Stevo on 22/10/2017 12:03:12

Old Geezer22/10/2017 13:47:02
460 forum posts

If a "Like Button" gives encouragement to the members who are taking the trouble to provide us with their build (and repair) logs - what's not to like?

( Sorry, puns are a bit like sneezes, sometimes you can feel one coming on, but whatever you do it just happens anyway. 🙄  

Tony Cook22/10/2017 16:25:15
101 forum posts
89 photos
I regularly look at the blogs and any latest posts that strike my interest. I posted my LD40 build and received nice feedback that kept me going. Also I think this is the right place rather than other social media sites (fb is an example). Ive also noticed its seems to be seasonal..in the summer we post our flying activities and in the winter the build sessions. I dont think its a dying art..at least i dont want it to be! For all who do post..thankyou!!
Simon Chaddock22/10/2017 16:45:28
4987 forum posts
2603 photos

A thumbs up/down or even horizontal is in effect passing a judgement. How about a simple "thank you" button to show you have read the post.

If you really like what you have seen then reply and say so!

Andy G.23/10/2017 08:56:41
321 forum posts
179 photos

I hope they're not dying out as, quite apart from personally enjoying them, I'm just about to start one on the repair/refurbishment of a BN2 Islander model which I'm also converting from IC powered control line to electric powered RC. It was intended to be my winter project, but my pre project exploratory tinkering turned into a..... I'll just do that bit, and then that bit etc etc. So, it's actually coming along well and the build blog should kick off soon.

ted hughes23/10/2017 09:07:44
453 forum posts

I never comment on build-blogs but I find them fascinating.

(I used to build (badly) years ago, now we have RTFs and seem to have less time.)

Some of the models in the blogs are absolute master pieces.

Edited By ted hughes on 23/10/2017 09:14:57

Nigel R23/10/2017 10:18:19
619 forum posts
161 photos

Build logs? I'm in. I'm finishing up a build log now. I intend to post up a log for future builds. I don't know that my projects are on an 'impressive scale' but maybe people can draw something from what I do.

I read build blogs. Sometimes the logs cease halfway through which is a shame. I don't always comment. A like button would help - that way I get to show support without getting in the way of the blogs 'flow'.

It's always good to see other peoples tools & techniques and so on.

This site isn't too bad for posting pictures. Picture taken in smartphone, log on here, go to upload and choose a few pictures, put photos into posts using the 'album' button. No more or less onerous than other sites, I think.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues