Forum sponsored by CML

A scam abusing Dyson cleaner owners

But excellent customer support from Dyson

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
i12fly21/10/2017 19:12:38
465 forum posts
21 photos

Wife really loves her 18month old cordless hand held Dyson so when someone rang our phone saying how do you like your Dyson and would you like it serviced at our home for £15 as a special offer she said yes, believing it was Dyson service as only they know we have one.

Man came said the battery was dying , filter needed replacing and the brush head/with motor was worn and must be replaced -which came to £165 which she reluctantly paid.

Afterwards she checked the warranty and realised it was covered under warranty so she contacted Dyson only to find it was not Dyson at all but some scoundrel that rings numbers on the off-chance they strike lucky and find someone with a Dyson (and there are many). One very upset wife. Of course we cannot claim against the company who did this because in theory they have fitted new parts and done a service and when you ring the number on the invoice it just rings and rings. However Dyson were fantastic and have replaced all these parts with new FOC and said they will carry the warranty through to full term. I can't tell if the parts that were fitted by these rogues are new or not but Dyson say the filter lasts a lifetime and the battery and brush (which can be bought separately last years in a domestic situation.

So 3 cheers for excellent Dyson support.

3 curses on the rogue company who carefully pretend to be from Dyson but aren't. I would name them but I guess that could cause legal problems. Oh and the service they did was non existant there was fluff and dirt all round the O ring and inside the machine.

Beware!!

Keith Lomax23/10/2017 11:28:35
139 forum posts

Watchdog's Rogue Traders did a bit about these companies (there are many) a few years ago. You can probably still find it by searching on their page on BBC website. One of the findings was that the replacement filters (which are not needed as the originals are washable and, as reported above, never need replacing) are vastly inferior to the originals, more expensive than branded ones, and not as effective at catching the dust.

SWMBO has a Dyson hand held and it frequently gets blocked in the flexible pipe within the motor brush head - if you lose sucking efficiency, or it cuts out after a few seconds, that is the first place to look. If they left you the original head, check it out and clean it up - it will probably outlast the "new" replacement.

Glyn4423/10/2017 12:14:39
616 forum posts
89 photos

Good tip. Thanks.

If I remember correctly when a call is made to Dyson direct, after you give them a few basic details, the know exactly which of their products you own. Also Dyson have never rang me in 10 years, or so.

Piers Bowlan23/10/2017 13:18:50
981 forum posts
25 photos

The best tip I think is not to respond to cold calls. Just a polite 'no thank you' and put the phone down. If it might sound interesting you can always call the company in question directly. Dyson have very good customer service.

Cuban823/10/2017 13:27:21
1580 forum posts
1 photos
I'm so sorry that the lady was ripped off by that cowboy, but please, everybody, never ever do business with any cold caller on the phone/doorstep/in the street or anywhere else. Make it your eleventh commandment.
Martin Harris23/10/2017 14:44:50
7126 forum posts
177 photos
Posted by Keith Lomax on 23/10/2017 11:28:35:

Watchdog's Rogue Traders did a bit about these companies (there are many) a few years ago. You can probably still find it by searching on their page on BBC website. One of the findings was that the replacement filters (which are not needed as the originals are washable and, as reported above, never need replacing) are vastly inferior to the originals, more expensive than branded ones, and not as effective at catching the dust.

SWMBO has a Dyson hand held and it frequently gets blocked in the flexible pipe within the motor brush head - if you lose sucking efficiency, or it cuts out after a few seconds, that is the first place to look. If they left you the original head, check it out and clean it up - it will probably outlast the "new" replacement.

There was a feature on this scam very recently on the BBC - I think it was either the three old biddies after the breakfast news or one of "Dom's" programmes.

i12fly23/10/2017 22:49:12
465 forum posts
21 photos

Well I agree withal the points above. We don't buy anything from the street, at the door or on the phone, but in this case it seemed so genuine as they were purporting to be through Dyson. Unfortunately they took the parts away, so probably someone else has got a 'new battery and filter.....' Well newly cleaned anyway. As I said above Dyson service was excellent, they replaced all with their genuine parts FOC within 5 days -including the weekend

In the past I've not looked favourably at the company due to their previous ageist policy and moving production abroad, but I've had to eat my words over their customer service

Keith Lomax24/10/2017 12:04:47
139 forum posts

+1 on the customer service.

SWMBO also purchased one of their "ball" upright cleaners, second hand, and cheap because the motor was gone in the brush head. Plan was to buy a new brush head which would have got a working second machine much cheaper than they were going for on ebay at the time. Also the filter cover on the ball was broken.

Phoned Dyson to order the parts. They asked for the serial number to make sure that they supplied the correct part. Turned out it was manufactured within a time frame that it had to still be under warranty - even without proof of purchase - and at their prompting they supplied a new brush head under warranty - which would have been £85 if they had not done so. I paid for the filter cover as that was unlikely to be a manufacturing fault - about a tenner and they didn't charge postage as they were already sending the other part.

Outcome - happy SWMBO and happy bank balance.

Peter Miller24/10/2017 13:40:28
8542 forum posts
976 photos
10 articles

Not Dyson but another nasty scam going the rounds

Man phoned a friend and told him that there would be men round within the hour to remove stuff as he owed money since 2013. He could pay now to avoid the men calling.

They never did call of course but it was a bit worrying.

Cuban824/10/2017 15:59:12
1580 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by i12fly on 23/10/2017 22:49:12:

Well I agree withal the points above. We don't buy anything from the street, at the door or on the phone, but in this case it seemed so genuine as they were purporting to be through Dyson. Unfortunately they took the parts away, so probably someone else has got a 'new battery and filter.....' Well newly cleaned anyway. As I said above Dyson service was excellent, they replaced all with their genuine parts FOC within 5 days -including the weekend

In the past I've not looked favourably at the company due to their previous ageist policy and moving production abroad, but I've had to eat my words over their customer service

And therein lies the problem. These people are so brazen and believable that even normally extra careful people like yourselves are cheated - not your fault at all as most of us never expect businesses to be so tricky and dishonest in the way that they operate. Thankfully it's only a tiny minority that work this way.

What a terrible way to live, when really the only thing to do is to trust nobody until they've proved themselves to be OK. Through painful experience with a well known car manufacturer's local dealership, I had my all too trusting fingers burnt a while ago.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/10/2017 16:05:24

ted hughes24/10/2017 19:46:00
453 forum posts
Posted by i12fly on 21/10/2017 19:12:38:

3 curses on the rogue company who carefully pretend to be from Dyson but aren't. I would name them but I guess that could cause legal problems. Oh and the service they did was non existant there was fluff and dirt all round the O ring and inside the machine.

Beware!!

If they stung you for £165 why would you want to protect them?

Martin Harris24/10/2017 20:13:57
7126 forum posts
177 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 24/10/2017 13:40:28:

Not Dyson but another nasty scam going the rounds

Man phoned a friend and told him that there would be men round within the hour to remove stuff as he owed money since 2013. He could pay now to avoid the men calling.

They never did call of course but it was a bit worrying.

With friends like that...!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator24/10/2017 21:59:57
14763 forum posts
1310 photos

LOL! I assume that Peter means that a man (rogue) called a friend of Peter's! Not that a man (rogue) call his own friend! Oh - I don't know though,....

BEB

i12fly24/10/2017 22:44:24
465 forum posts
21 photos

Genuine service man came from Dyson today and checked over the cleaner -all FOC. He said that genuine Dyson parts had been fitted by the 'rogue' but that definitely the filter was not new -it had been cleaned with something that left a trace that hardened it. The battery was probably the same one that had been taken off (or off another victim's cleaner). At least we have a spare now.

He took all the details and photos, and said there were a dozen or so rogue traders doing similar scams. They had got a long list of victims.

The thing is, the rogue 'lady' who rang up knew our name and address and 'knew' (guessed?) we had a Dyson. I can only suppose they got the details from the phone book, or an insider.

Another 3 cheers for Dyson customer service. Trouble is it seems too good to be true -so I start to feel uneasy.......

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator24/10/2017 23:44:33
14763 forum posts
1310 photos

I think they just use the phone book and guess - a lot of people do have a Dyson of course so often they hit th target. If they are wrong of course and you don't have a Dyson - well nothing lost other than the cost of a phone call. They'll just apologise, say they must have misread the number and ring off.

BEB

Brian Cooper25/10/2017 08:10:32
315 forum posts
10 photos

I had one of these Dyson scammers on the phone a few months ago. From the start, he didn't sound "right" so I led him along a bit.

He asked which model I had, so I asked him if he had my customer registration in front of him confirming a model which I didn't have.

"Oh yes, we have those details here", he said.

I then told him I wasn't sure if he had my right address as I might have purchased it while at my old address, so I asked if he had my current one. . Now then, the odd numbers in my street only go up to 39, so I told him I was at number 41. devil

"oh yes", says he, "We have your correct address on our files.

An appointment was made (for which he arrived an hour late). I didn't speak to the bloke but I took his registration number of his tatty white van and passed it on to the police.

Life can be such fun at times... yes

B.C.

Peter Miller25/10/2017 08:17:42
8542 forum posts
976 photos
10 articles
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/10/2017 21:59:57:

LOL! I assume that Peter means that a man (rogue) called a friend of Peter's! Not that a man (rogue) call his own friend! Oh - I don't know though,....

BEB

Sorry, it is senility creeping (galloping?) in

Keith Lomax25/10/2017 10:16:06
139 forum posts
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/10/2017 23:44:33:

I think they just use the phone book and guess - a lot of people do have a Dyson of course so often they hit th target. If they are wrong of course and you don't have a Dyson - well nothing lost other than the cost of a phone call. They'll just apologise, say they must have misread the number and ring off.

BEB

I don't think it is as good as that - they randomly call numbers, and expect you to provide the address ("can you just confirm we have it right ... ?"

Keith Lomax25/10/2017 10:16:51
139 forum posts
Posted by Brian Cooper on 25/10/2017 08:10:32:

I had one of these Dyson scammers on the phone a few months ago. From the start, he didn't sound "right" so I led him along a bit.

He asked which model I had, so I asked him if he had my customer registration in front of him confirming a model which I didn't have.

"Oh yes, we have those details here", he said.

I then told him I wasn't sure if he had my right address as I might have purchased it while at my old address, so I asked if he had my current one. . Now then, the odd numbers in my street only go up to 39, so I told him I was at number 41. devil

"oh yes", says he, "We have your correct address on our files.

An appointment was made (for which he arrived an hour late). I didn't speak to the bloke but I took his registration number of his tatty white van and passed it on to the police.

Life can be such fun at times... yes

B.C.

Dyson would probably be interested in the details as well. Nice one, BC.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues