By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris's ChtiCat Racer

A real fun Depron Indoor 'Thingie' based on F1 aero!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696907/12/2017 10:31:00
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Absolutely & totally addictive, Steven.

I can hardly stop myself buying a couple more motors and having a drawer full of props. blush

But now, as I checked the ChtiCat powertrain, I can go on with trying to have all that stuff 'talking' to the 'old' DX6i.

Wish me luck, gents.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bind Control

McG 696908/12/2017 20:52:33
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Hi again,

Very wisely, I managed to get away from the motor test bench and went for the ‘binding’ process.

I have a lightweight Redcon 6ch DSMX/2 receiver intended to take duty in the ChtiCat, so I went for my first ever binding to the DX6i Tx.

Rx connected with ESC throttle wire & rudder servo, Rx powered with the same 2S, LED flashing, Tx power on with ‘Trainer’ switch on, LED static after a while… connected. yes

Rudder servo moves properly, throttle does… nothing. Oops.

Disconnect everything, set up again… rudder works, motor not at all. no

Did I kill my motor already? Disconnect again, followed by a bench test with still the same ESC… and motor works perfectly. indecision

Back to the Spektrum manual, nothing ‘weird’ to read… momentito, I have another Redcon Rx. Procedure starts again with the other Rx but with the same strange results.

Believe it or not, but I manage to remain as ‘stoic’ as an Egyptian mummie. Well, ‘close to’.

Back to the first Rx and then by the grace of the Upper Squadron Leader, I decide to connect my only 3S 850mAh Lipo and to try that… and it works, right away ! … surprise

But then, even better, when I decide to use it back on the 2S (with a bit of recharge in the meantime), it works perfectly as well.

Very strange all that… and not that sure I’m totally ready for these ‘special’ RC discoveries.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Weirdness Control

McG 696910/12/2017 19:22:34
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Hello everybody,

We had a first snow carpet here in Central Belgium today and I don't think I will be able to 'glide' the ChtiCat outdoors very soon now.

I went to La Grotte anyhow to get a bit more experience with my electrical stuff and binding procedures.

As I was quite pleased that I finally got the motor working, it seems now that I have to 're-bind' each time after I've been 'disconnecting' things.

Powering on the Tx, than the Rx, doesn't make it work. If I redo the binding process, it works fine afterwards.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, please?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bind Control

Don Fry10/12/2017 19:36:14
1876 forum posts
25 photos

Bind plug left in after binding. It will start up in bind mode if you power up with a bind plug in.

Paul C.10/12/2017 19:37:04
242 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Chris, no experience with the red con rx but just wondering if you are removing the bind plug after you have bound the tx to rx. Pleased to say that I have not encountered this problem with my dx8 😯

Paul.

Paul C.10/12/2017 19:37:57
242 forum posts
40 photos

Ha Don beat me to it 😂

McG 696910/12/2017 20:26:02
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Thanks for your advice, gentlemen.

Not removing the bind plug is one of the multiple things that could happen to me, certainly at this stage of 'non-experience'. blush

Before today, I had the mentioned 'motor-non-start' issue, which I still don't understand really, especially when it worked OK on 2S afterwards.

Of course, the Redcon has no 'manual', but I thought the sequence should be similar to a DSM2/X binding.

So, inserting 'thro' from the ESC, inserting plug from the rudder servo, inserting bind plug, power on Rx, flashing LED, power on Tx with trainer switch activated, wait for LED static, remove bind plug, unpower Rx, and at the end , unpower Tx...

Might be doing all wrong though... ??? ...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dunno Control

Paul C.10/12/2017 20:58:16
242 forum posts
40 photos

That sequence sounds ok, not familiar with the DX6 but on my dx8 when switched on with the bind button pressed 'binding' is displayed on the transmitter and when it is happy the normal menu screen is displayed. At this point the rx will have stopped flashing and displaying a solid light just wondering if your bind has not been fully completed .

Paul

John Robertson 310/12/2017 21:18:23
91 forum posts
5 photos

I have a couple of DX6s - binding is as per Paul C's post above.

McG 696911/12/2017 18:24:00
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Thanks a lot, gents.

As it was a snowy & ice chaos here in BE today, I didn't go to La Grotte.

I don't know if John's DX6 is of the newer generation - mine is a pre-2015 basic DX6i - but I don't suppose it would make a lot of difference, if any.

Thanks to Paul for checking out my binding sequence. yes

Now, to be honest, I can't remember seeing the 'menu screen' back again after binding.

As I was concentrating on the 'static led' of the Rx, maybe i released the trainer switch too early, before seeing the main menu screen again. So somehow possibly 'interrupting' the bind process. Sjeesh... blush

First thing to try out when I get back to La Grotte.

Thanks again & hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Screen Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/12/2017 18:48:50

Paul C.11/12/2017 18:55:51
242 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Chris, it's brass monkey weather over here as well (you might have to Google that 😂 not sure if your rx has a satellite or not but I have noticed that it takes my rx with a satellite longer to bind for some reason. I have always watched the tx to finish the bind before checking the rx for solid light . Hope the weather improves soon for you

Cheers, Paul.

Don Fry11/12/2017 19:28:21
1876 forum posts
25 photos

if you are watching lights on the satellite, you are too close to the receiver.

power on the transmitter, go to bind menu, bind, YES, NO.

Fit bind plug, power up receiver, and the rapid flashy lights appear.

walk away from the reciever, about a minimum of 2.50 meters is good. Press the YES option on the transmitter.

You have to be meters away from the transmitter when you bind.

John Robertson 311/12/2017 20:32:46
91 forum posts
5 photos

"I don't know if John's DX6 is of the newer generation - mine is a pre-2015 basic DX6i - but I don't suppose it would make a lot of difference, if any.​" - Yes, they are both Gen2 models.

"if you are watching lights on the satellite, you are too close to the receiver." ​I would agree with that - stay away and watch the screen. By all means angle the Rx for 2-3 metres distance visibility, otherwise too close "swamps" the Rx.

McG 696912/12/2017 10:15:16
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Thank you gents,

No Paul, the Redcon has two antennas but no satellite, but now at least I realize that I have to watch the TX's screen and not the Rx's LED.

And I officially promise that I will step away for at least three meters. Thanks also Ron and John. yes

Not sure If I can get to La Grotte today - "brass monkey" weather, you know - but I'll be back later with a 'full report'.

I might get there in the end... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Brass Monkey Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 12/12/2017 10:15:58

McG 696912/12/2017 19:27:37
1676 forum posts
731 photos

Hi again,

As I thought, the binding process will have to wait till the Ice Gods are a bit more tempered. sad

But I had a productive day at home anyhow. I added the last details to my deco markings, had the design printed on water transfer paper, let it dry and covered it with two layers of satin acrylic clear varnish.

010_chticat_deco_pub_900.jpg

And between all that, I started to draw the vintage wheels for my next Vicomte 1916 build. yes

While the varnish is still drying, I would like to mention - even still being somehow ‘mildly autistic’ - that there are some (a lot of !) spare logos on the printed sheet. I thought one can never know what’s happening when transferring to the model, although I’m a bit more confident with this job than with my previous ‘binding’ stuff. blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Autistic Control

Don Fry12/12/2017 19:36:29
1876 forum posts
25 photos

Don't see a "don't hit here" decal.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues