RM Trainer

1980s design electrified

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel R06/12/2017 09:44:25
654 forum posts
167 photos

Thanks Piers, no need to apologise!

I used aliphatic for joining the skins, what I didn't do was to sand them properly flat on the board after joining - hence the slight ridge. I also didn't manage to get the edges quite straight before joining - although I thought I had - and when they had dried several sheets had bowed a little. However they do look OK from a few feet away so will be alright when they're under the covering

I think in future I would overbuy the sheeting and try and pick the sheets that have good uniform thickness and match them up carefully. Not getting the edges straight was just daft, I have a long straight sanding bar so no excuse there. Live and learn.

On the whole I'm pleased with how the wing is turning out. It's come out rigid and warp free, and the weight is right on track for a 3lb end result. Happy days.

john stones 106/12/2017 17:20:23
8855 forum posts
1379 photos

All looking good Nigel, torque rods are a pain, much more choice for servos now. Nice lyer when you've done though. yes

Nigel R07/12/2017 09:06:22
654 forum posts
167 photos

Thanks John, I hope it will be smiley

More torque rod fun last night:

tmp_3274-20171206_22593576471856.jpg

Servo connected up and being tested.

Note two things;

1) I've used holes offset on servo disc (they're about 30 deg away from right angles) - this is to counteract the offset on the torque rods.

2) I also re-drilled the torque rod nylon arms, so that the new hole which the clevis clips into is as close to the threaded bit of the rod as possible.

Without either of these, I had reverse differential (and quite a lot of it) - more down than up. Never a good thing. If this had been a low wing model with the servo on top, that would be reversed, more up than down, and that might be ok. However with this being a high wing and servo underneath, getting more down than up, is never a good thing.

Anyway, with the offset disc and modified rod arms, as they are in the photo, I get even movement up and down. Which will do nicely.

That's pretty much it for the wing. The remaining few jobs can wait until I've rigged the plane. And that will need a fuselage...

Edited By Nigel R on 07/12/2017 09:09:22

Simon P07/12/2017 11:19:38
65 forum posts
4 photos

I am very glad to see one of these being built. You might recognise my name on the outerzone credits. I bought the magazines some time ago and still intend to build one for myself. I was originally inspired by this video of an electric one on Andrew Shering's youtube channel. A few months after I found this video the very same model showed up on eBay for just £60 all electronics included. It was understandably collection only and I decided I'd rather build one myself instead of driving. I have been kicking myself for that decision ever since because I still haven't gotten around to it.

Nigel R07/12/2017 13:15:59
654 forum posts
167 photos

I have you to blame for all this then Simon! wink

Many thanks for uploading. I came across the plan about six months ago when I saw the Pronto plan uploaded. I was originally going to build a Pronto (it's almost identical in size and construction) but the RM Trainer looks so much better, for what seems like only a little extra effort.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues