Forum sponsored by CML

Goldwing RC Corvus 60cc ARTF for electric set up

About as big as I want to go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 14:48:57
1708 forum posts
535 photos

For a while now I have wanted to compare like for like 60cc petrol aircraft with a comparable electric set up. Well I have now taken the plunge with this aircraft from RapidRC Models.

**LINK**

Pretty much fits the bill. I have not decided on the servos, but something in the region of 25kg at 6 volts is what I am after. Clearly, I am on a budget and I don't want to go silly. However, I want something that is reliable at a sensible price. Principle use will be for standard aeros rather than a thrashing 3D session. Any thoughts I would be grateful for.

The same goes for Lipos. Anybody got strong views on Turnigy 6S lipos as they seem priced towards the bottom of the range?

RapidRC have advised me that delivery via ParcelForce will be Wednesday (tomorrow) so a waiting morning is called for.

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 14:52:34
1708 forum posts
535 photos

fullsizeoutput_a4e.jpegAnyway, decided to start with examine the motor already purchased which is DualSky in make and hefty lump of metal as can be seen below.

fullsizeoutput_a4d.jpeg

Comes with stand off and connectors that have to be all soldered. I am not sure yet whether the stand offs will be the right size, however. The motor specification is as follows.

fullsizeoutput_a4f.jpeg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 14/11/2017 15:07:01

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 14:56:12
1708 forum posts
535 photos

I chose the matching OPTO ESC from DualSky and also comes with connectors to be fitted and full instructions.

fullsizeoutput_a4c.jpegThe programming lead is helpfully tagged so there is no confusion, but by and large I have found that the throttle lead is usually longer than the programming lead in absence of a label.

fullsizeoutput_a4b.jpeg

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 15:02:45
1708 forum posts
535 photos

I have ordered a high power voltage regulator to be wired into the Lipo battery circuit to reduce the voltage down to 6 volts or 7 volts depending on the servos I end up with. The Futaba RX that I am going to use is also a high voltage version so hopefully that will work fine.

Here is the regulator, which is coming with the kit.

**LINK**

By the way I have to report a very good experience in dealing with RapidRC both on the telephone and via email with Justin in keeping me informed of progress at every stage. Justin did mention in passing that they are trying to grow the business currently which is good to hear. They seem to be going about in in the right way too. yes

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 15:20:48
1708 forum posts
535 photos

Here is a clip of the aircraft with an electric set up. Not sure I liked the music that goes with it, but a nice video.

**LINK**

john stones 114/11/2017 15:54:01
8729 forum posts
1375 photos

yes

Whoever that did that to WLL aught to be shot/hung/run over.

Rich too14/11/2017 18:05:45
2455 forum posts
940 photos

Nice model Adrian. I agree, I don’t know why people add loud music to flying videos.

Percy Verance14/11/2017 19:01:38
5661 forum posts
108 photos

I think at this size I'd be looking to provide the receiver with it's own supply, rather than through a voltage regulator.

I've used Turnigy lipos for a while now, and haven't had any problems. But I do charge at .75C and never discharge the packs to less than 25%  I've bought most of my Turnigy packs from Rapid RC, plus I've had other bits and pieces from them. No problems at all, great to deal with.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/11/2017 19:07:29

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 19:11:29
1708 forum posts
535 photos

It did take my eye, Rich. I sold my two Inverza 62s on eBay to finance it. However, I will hold on to my petrol AeroWorks Edge540 as I really enjoy flying that.

I did wonder about that, Percy. It's just in the past I have received contradicting views on that issue so I am uncertain about what to do. Extra circuits could mean another point of potential failure - or so the theory goes......

Percy Verance14/11/2017 19:27:57
5661 forum posts
108 photos

It was just something of an observation Adrian.

In this model you'll have a big main power pack, which of course will supply the motor with all the energy it needs. That's fine, but as it's a large lump of model you'll also have decent quality servos out of necessity. These will also be drawing their demands from that same flight pack. It might be perfectly ok, but there again it might not......

My theory was but a simple one. Normally, a receiver and servos with their own supply are just fine 99.9% of the time. I was simply applying the same logic......  And yes, there is your theory too. A further potential point of failure.  If it isn't there Adrian, it isn;t going to go wrong.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/11/2017 19:31:56

Adrian Smith 114/11/2017 22:24:39
1708 forum posts
535 photos

I take your point completely, Percy. I have a high power RX switch that can be used on a 2S Lipo which regulates the voltage to 6v or it can be used with a standard nimh battery, as a separate power supply plugged into the RX. Clearly, adopting that set up the SBEC wouldn't be required and the 12S lipo arrangement would just be used for powering the motor in isolation. I think I will go that route now I have thought about it.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 14/11/2017 22:25:17

Rich too15/11/2017 06:39:42
2455 forum posts
940 photos
Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 14/11/2017 19:11:29:

It did take my eye, Rich. I sold my two Inverza 62s on eBay to finance it. However, I will hold on to my petrol AeroWorks Edge540 as I really enjoy flying that.

I did wonder about that, Percy. It's just in the past I have received contradicting views on that issue so I am uncertain about what to do. Extra circuits could mean another point of potential failure - or so the theory goes......

As a matter of interest, how many petrol models do you have left? wink

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 06:55:38
1708 forum posts
535 photos

Well Rich, I am down to just one (the Edge) which I want to keep hold of for the moment. However, if this 50-60cc electric goes well I may review that. I know a genuine petrol man such as yourself will be horrified by it, but I am so impressed with the bigger electrics' performance. The two big electrics I have, covered by build threads here, are both different makes of MXS and are equivalent to 30cc. One of those may be sold when I look at another 60cc equivalent electric, assuming the Corvus project goes well. dont know

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 08:40:10
1708 forum posts
535 photos

I am going to wire the OPTO ESC as per the Dualsky diagram.

fullsizeoutput_a51.jpegInstead of the Dualsky VR mini voltage regulator for the RX, I have in the workshop a GT Power Switch/regulator which fits the bill:-

**LINK**

I will probably use one of my many 6v 2500 mAh nimh RX batteries for the separate RX power source. At the last count, I probably have one battery per flight if needs be!

For the motor I am going to need some 6S 5000mAh Lipos (for 12S setup) as a minimum, as the 4500mAh ones I have probably won't cut it. Anyway something to think about while I wait for ParcelForce to do its stuff.......

Rich too15/11/2017 12:41:27
2455 forum posts
940 photos

Sacrilege!! wink what motor do you have in that, the DLE? I tried electric and wrote off two models which put me off - it could have ended very differently laugh

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 15:45:42
1708 forum posts
535 photos

The DLE went with the first Inverza 62 to be sold. The second Inverza 62 was sold without any engine which had the really great running EME60 in it. The AW Edge 540, has, and I am touching wood now, an OS 60GT which so far has performed well and is faultless, unlike to two whose crank cases blew up. ( I have no resolution on those 2, still ongoing). Therefore I am keeping the EME 60 incase it has to be a direct replacement for the OS. I didn't realise you had tried electric, Rich. Was that a while ago and did you know why they were written off?

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 15:47:37
1708 forum posts
535 photos

Anyway box duly arrived today. Near couldn't get it through the door! Was checked at RapidRC and repacked by them. A good job done there.

fullsizeoutput_a52.jpeg

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 15:49:06
1708 forum posts
535 photos

Took all the bits out to check 'em anyway.

fullsizeoutput_a53.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a55.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a54.jpeg

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 15:50:51
1708 forum posts
535 photos

Bag of fittings are very comprehensive, plus there are templates for DLE, 3W engines for the fire wall. Also there are additional pipe holder brackets for I/C use which I don't need.

fullsizeoutput_a58.jpeg

Adrian Smith 115/11/2017 15:57:26
1708 forum posts
535 photos

First job before anything, as I usually put the motor on before anything else, is to measure what stand offs are required.

fullsizeoutput_a59.jpegThe firewall to the cowl opening is 172mm, with the mounting lines already drawn on the firewall thank goodness.

The motor measurement from prop driver to mounting lugs is 101mm according the the DualSky schematic diagram. I want the spinner to sit at around 174/175mm from the firewall which suggests standoffs of around 74mm (175 less 101mm). The stand offs that DualSky provide are 65mm so I found two spacers per standoff which took them to 75mm in length which is good enough.

fullsizeoutput_a5a.jpeg

However, before anything else is done I have the soldering tasks to do on the motor leads, ESC OPTO and battery connections. 

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 15/11/2017 15:59:34

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
SHREK
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings and Wheels 2018
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues