By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Timís Grumpy Tigercub

Build log- Electric and a smidge bigger...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Miller16/01/2018 11:42:57
8994 forum posts
1032 photos
10 articles

You know I get quite a lot of questions often by email. I I got to thinking about some of these. They are so basic that it puzzled me.

When I started modelling we had Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft and a few very basic books. The KK handbook had about three pages of accessories and most of us (all in our club) were finding our way.

The result was that we HAD to work things out for ourselves. Sometimes it didn't work and we started again. But what we learned was how to think, how to work things out.

Our standard mental attitude became "What can I use for that?" and this was also transformed into "What can I use that for?"

When I get a problem of how to make something I just work on it. Quite often I get the perfect answer at about 4 in the morning.

I have begun to wonder what is going to happen when the people who still have this mental ability to work things out have all gone!

The thing that got me really going was a question about connecting a four stroke throttle. SO very easy when you look at it. I sent the questioner a photo. Then, sometime later I got a request how do you do it? I lost the pictures.

ballerina const 036.jpg

I just looked at the cable and the position of the throttle and it was OBVIOUS but it ws obviouly much easier to say "HOW DO I DO IT?" and wait for a reply

Lucas Hofman16/01/2018 12:12:27
592 forum posts
313 photos

Hi Peter,

It might be a combination of more people growing up with no experience of using their on anything else then touchscreens (and maybe a game console or 2 - this makes great drone pilots) and that it is so much easier to get help compared to 20-30 years ago.

I have quite a few colleagues who have as primary reflex when something needs to be done "who do I call" instead of "what/how can I do this". In that light it is positive your man does at least not assume somebody else is going to fix it for him.

Point him to a Youtube video on soldering or to the RCM&E tutorial on the subject and he will be happy.

Regards, Lucas (who probably also has asked you a trivial question or two...)

Peter Miller16/01/2018 13:17:46
8994 forum posts
1032 photos
10 articles

Hi Lucas

Just blame it on the after effects of flu.

Nigel R16/01/2018 15:32:57
1131 forum posts
258 photos

You're describe a hobby in its early days there Pete.

Over time as it becomes more mature, the pre-rolled answers become more numerous, for RC we see increasingly complete kits become available, through to these days the availability of bind and fly type ARTFs - almost a "hobby in a box". Most people go with the easiest answer to a problem and that is almost always the exact opposite of scratch building and thinking out solutions as you go.

You can say similar things about any hobby. Cycling, for instance - almost nobody builds their own bikes now.

There will always be folk who think as you do, "how can I do X" and figure their own answer.

As an aside, people still spend years building their own steam engines.

Geoff Sleath16/01/2018 16:21:27
2538 forum posts
194 photos

I think can I relate to Peter's comment on the shift from "How can I do that?" to "What can I use that for?" and it probably accounts for the gradual increase of 'stuff' in my workshop that persuaded me to buy a set of small plastic drawers when I was in Aldi this morning

I do still build my own bikes (and their wheels) and bike bits add to the aeromodelling and electronic 'stuff' I need the drawers for. One of our members has built a couple of beautiful little steam engines from casting he machined and they attract much admiration at our fortnightly indoor sessions. He's an all rounder and builds his own drones, helis and fixed wing as well as ARTFs.

All is not lost!

Geoff

Peter Miller18/01/2018 08:57:26
8994 forum posts
1032 photos
10 articles

Hope you all survived last night's gale. That was rough here in SUffolk.

Tim Ballinger18/01/2018 09:12:07
410 forum posts
195 photos

Not as bad as advertised here in the Forest of Dean , just a bit of outbuilding damage to put right. Certainly no night flying though .

Tim

Martyn K18/01/2018 09:15:12
4533 forum posts
3129 photos

It was dreadful here. Dustbin lid got blown open..

Peter Miller18/01/2018 12:12:44
8994 forum posts
1032 photos
10 articles

Woke me at 3 am. by 5 am the slates were rattling but at least none came off..

I live on top of a hill facing West, nothing in front of me for about 12 miles.

This afternoon will be spent catching up on sleep.

Tim Ballinger18/01/2018 18:21:23
410 forum posts
195 photos

Construction finished apart from sealing and sanding.

AUW just under the target 6 lbs 😊

Covering will take me over target by about 5 oz 🙁

CG check with 20g weight on tail to account for covering resulted in 8 cm from LE (25%root chord for my 60 “ span version) This is bang on 😊

Raising the undercarriage moves the cg back by only 5mm (actually very difficult to measure) which sounds like I should hardly notice the trim change. Anyone got any experience they can share?

Apologies for mixing units, I’m a bit schizo in that respect.

d7e60408-f7cf-402c-a135-10625d2d7a6b.jpeg

14884acb-50dd-4a1e-8645-9064aa82d5e2.jpeg

Peter Miller18/01/2018 18:24:17
8994 forum posts
1032 photos
10 articles

I am looking forward to the flying inforzmation

Tim Ballinger18/01/2018 18:32:21
410 forum posts
195 photos

That might be a few months yet as a) it’s too cold for my fingers and b) I need the sheep to stop pooping on my strip and c) I need to be able to cut the grass to an even finish.

I have just joined my local club at Marcle who have a lovely close mown strip so I may even take it there for its maiden which obviates b and c !

Tim

Ron Gray18/01/2018 18:38:13
803 forum posts
203 photos

What size props are you using Tim? I may have some Master L and R ones that may fit.

Tim Ballinger18/01/2018 18:49:09
410 forum posts
195 photos

Ron,

3 blade 10x6 , one of each rotation is what I am starting with.

Tim

Lucas Hofman19/01/2018 06:37:11
592 forum posts
313 photos

A joy to look at! Have you glued nacelles and tail feathers in place already or can you take everything apart to ease covering?

Lucas

Tim Ballinger19/01/2018 08:20:38
410 forum posts
195 photos

Thanks Lucas, fin & tailplane are not fixed till they are covered. The nacelles are now permanent ! I did contemplate leaving them loose but there was always going to be some fillining required and they are now such an integral shape with the aft nacelle fairing and hatches that I wanted them solid to work those challenges.

Will have to see how the covering challenge goes. I decided the pirate blue film I used on the Skywriter would be close to the USMC blue I needed and possibly have enough left. Downside is that HK is out of stock so I could get stalled by running out.....

Tim

Lucas Hofman19/01/2018 08:45:47
592 forum posts
313 photos

Tim, if pirate blue is what I have used on the underside of the Ballerina (look at the build thread) I can help you out if needed. I have 2/3 of a roll left.

Lucas

Tim Ballinger19/01/2018 09:14:42
410 forum posts
195 photos

Lucas,

That’s a kind offer. It does look the same from the pics. I’ll let you know whether I need to visit the HK Norway warehouse.

Could steal Ron’s props on route !

Thanks Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 19/01/2018 09:17:07

Lucas Hofman19/01/2018 10:04:38
592 forum posts
313 photos

But Ron, Pirate blue is marked in stock now on the HK global warehouse. USD 9.33, twice what I paid 1,5 years ago but still a bargain for 5m.

It arrived just in time for your needs!

Lucas

Tim Ballinger19/01/2018 10:38:23
410 forum posts
195 photos

Lucas,

Strange I only checked yesterday and it said not in stock. Now ordered which of course means I will probably not need it but I hate being frustrated by running out of ‘stuff’ in the middle of a job.

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues