Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Sloping My Sipa S-200 Advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Jones18/11/2017 23:23:34
2412 forum posts
1391 photos

Hi i am hoping to go to Pule hill tomorrow and seen if i can Slope My Sipa S-200.

newdepsipa1.jpg

I have 3 i could take all 36" wing span but all Electric Powered .

So i am thinking of taking the Prop of .

But should i still use the 3 cell Lipo that will power the Esc and Rx or Should i disconnect the Esc and Connect a Ni-cad battery and leave a Lipo in for ballast.

I also have a new Wicked Wing from Hobby King to Maiden.

Steve

Harry Twist19/11/2017 00:04:57
209 forum posts
114 photos

Hi Stephen, ref your thoughts/questions - yes remove the prop.

Choose your windspeed carefully for sloping - you don't want a model wrecking wind! Nor do you want a gentle drift! Looking at your model - maybe anything in the range 13-20mph would be ideal. Regarding weight - if you are totally happy with the CoG and have flown the model successfully before - I would be tempted to avoid anything that might upset a known CoG for a first slope flight and hence would fly with the LiPo (ie not adding the NiMh). The Lipo should give plenty of energy for servo use on typical flight times on the slope if no motor is running.

If you use a NiMh instead there is no real problem -however if I was to do that I would remove the LiPo and rebalance. I dont really see the need for you to be flying with 2 batteries in the model.

(In a blow you may want to add ballast but that would be added at the CoG and maybe something not to be considered on the first slope flight of a model not sloped before! ).

So in summary - I think I would basically remove the prop, use the LiPo (or the NiMh but  have only one battery on board not two!), wait for the right wind and with a mental flight plan in mind - give her a try off the slope.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it! ( P.S.  I've assumed  NiMh not NiCd)

Edited By Harry Twist on 19/11/2017 00:17:59

Stephen Jones19/11/2017 00:20:11
2412 forum posts
1391 photos

Thanks Harry.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Steve

Stephen Jones19/11/2017 21:00:37
2412 forum posts
1391 photos

Well the predicted weather conditions did not come to fruition.

Got to site early this morning bright sun light and very little wind and in the wrong direction.

Even the Para gliders could not get any lift.

Went to the field this afternoon with two Depron Sipas one i could not fly as i had the wrong transmitter.

And the other had a servo that would not center correctly, tried in vain to get it to center .

When flying i had to keep adjusting the trim to get it to fly straight in the end gave up and went home.

I will now have to change my servo.

I guess things happen for a reason.

Steve. sad

Chris Barlow20/11/2017 00:50:07
1665 forum posts
1147 photos

That's a shame Steve, Very calm down here in Cheshire too.

Having seen it fly I would think the Sipa would have a good speed range but as a power flyer too I would say look for 20-25mph winds which will be like flying at full throttle. Safety in speed!

Also as far as prep goes all you need to do is remove the prop, weigh it and cut a lead disk the same weight and bolt that to the motor. Leave the power setup exactly how it is just don't use the throttle or use a throttle cut switch.

Stephen Jones20/11/2017 18:37:02
2412 forum posts
1391 photos

Thank`s Chris,

Throttle cut switch is a good idea, i don`t want the motor whizzing away.

I can slide the battery back to compensate for the weight change.

The only experience i have flying on the slope is with my Lidle Glider and i set my control movements to maximum with 60% expo. Due to the change in speed up and down wind.

Do you think i would need more control movement and expo on my Sipa ? .

I also think i could slope my Fantrainer but that has small ailerons and i do not think i can get much more movement out of them, But would make a nice model to slope.

Cheers Steve.

Chris Barlow20/11/2017 23:38:23
1665 forum posts
1147 photos

You might want more control throws if the wind is light and you are flying with a low airspeed but other than that it should behave like it does under power.

25mph wind head on to the slope and I don't think you'll have any problems. yes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues