Forum sponsored by CML

Long term storage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Major19/11/2017 01:25:46
59 forum posts
18 photos

Hi folks.

Not long ago I finished restoration of my few Cox engines. I plan to give them a test run and then put them into storage while I wait for my next patient to arrive - a plain bearing PAW 1.49 cc. which I just won on fleabay for under 15 quid smiley.

How to go about long term storage of these little engines? Not sure if I will put them into any models (unless I find ready to use Sharkface that is...), but would like to keep them nice and fresh for years to come.

Same goes for fuel, but then again - is there any point in storing glow fuel long term? Apparently it does lose its potential over the time?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

PS. My recent searches revealed terrible fact of many shops shutting down/cutting on stock, much less available items on ebay etc. It's horrific how few years can change everything....

cymaz19/11/2017 06:07:10
7100 forum posts
942 photos

I have some glow engines that have been in their boxes a couple of years. I ran them dry so all the fuel was burnt out then removed the glow plugs and put ModelTechnics after run down into the head and more into the carb. Wrapped the engine in a thick plastic bag and packed in foam in a box. The engines seem to be hibernating well and show no signs of corrosion. Fuel I keep in a stout box sealed from light and in the garage where the temperature doesn’t vary very much.

That’s what I do for my various OS and ASPs but wether your Cox collection would be happy with this only time will tell clock

Don Fry19/11/2017 06:43:05
1876 forum posts
25 photos

Brian Winch once did an article, recommended srorage in a Tupperware box fill with paraffin/oil mixture. Take plug out, twirl motor in fluid to fill innards and drop it it.

Engine Doctor19/11/2017 10:49:28
1816 forum posts
4 photos

Whatever you do dont oil up with 3 in 1 oil for storage . It sets like varnish and is a b*****r to remove. Last year I bought a collection of 15 or so engines, some new in box . All had been oiled with 3 in 1, wrapped in plastic bags and stored for 10 years or so . They needed stripping and cleaning which was more difficult than usual due to 3 in1/varnish glueing parts together and even then the cases were stained by the acid in the oil !

Oil up with air tool oil . it stays liquid and engines stay free . Glow engines need washing or rinsing as Don suggests to rid them of any trace of methanol that will attract moisture.. Diesels will also benefit as rinse removes the castor oil that setts in bearings etc . Paraffin and mineral oil followed by a light oil with air tool oil should keep them happy for years.

Coxs should be fine but not sure about the plastic parts as these can age/deteriorate anyway. They might be better just run dry and lightly oiled in the cylinder with air tool oil avoiding getting it on the plastic parts .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 19/11/2017 10:50:36

Manish Chandrayan19/11/2017 12:09:21
323 forum posts
50 photos
30 grade oil, generously injected from all possible orfices, then all such orfices plugged with oil soaked tissue and the whole in a polybag that goes in the box. The polybag is mainly to avoid all the oil coming in contact with cardboard boxes.
As indicated by others, a kero wash followed by oiling is best.
Tom Major19/11/2017 12:15:30
59 forum posts
18 photos

Thank you all for input.

Engine doctor - thanks a lot for heads up about 3 in 1 oil. That was precisely what I used to oil up my engines cause I didn't have anything else at the moment. After that I've read that 3 in 1 is more likely to seize my engines.

I will pick up some air tool or after run oil tomorrow and clean them again. So far I don't have any Cox engine with plastic parts on it, but it's good to know to keep them dry.

Manish - 30 grade oil?

Edited By Tom Major on 19/11/2017 12:17:04

Manish Chandrayan19/11/2017 12:32:57
323 forum posts
50 photos
Tom SAE 30.
Used to be standard oil to be used in gearboxes for older motorcycles.
Tom Major19/11/2017 13:44:43
59 forum posts
18 photos

Ah I see. Thought about it but wasn't sure so preferred to ask .

Thanks a lot.

Don Fry19/11/2017 14:24:12
1876 forum posts
25 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 19/11/2017 06:43:05:

Brian Winch once did an article, recommended srorage in a Tupperware box fill with paraffin/oil mixture. Take plug out, twirl motor in fluid to fill innards and drop it it.

I made the point badly. Brian Whitchurch advoked storage under liquid. No air/water there.

Manish Chandrayan19/11/2017 14:32:55
323 forum posts
50 photos
Don, yes that's the best way. I completely agree but not practical if one has far too many engines. The second best way would be, wash with Keep/Naphtha and filling up the internals with preservation oil to exclude air and moisture. I used to work for a military aviation firm where the engines were preserved using transformer oil prior to being crated and shipped either to air bases or to airframe plant
Don Fry19/11/2017 15:04:19
1876 forum posts
25 photos

I got the impression Brian used a barrel, wrapped them in rags, tied then up and chucked them in. Engines all sorted in one pot.

Manish Chandrayan19/11/2017 15:13:42
323 forum posts
50 photos
Yeah if I did the same, maybe I would require a 30-40 litres container 😀
Don Fry19/11/2017 15:21:30
1876 forum posts
25 photos

You will need one of the containers fast food places have their oil delivered in then. Used by boaters to store stuff in the dry.

Tom Major19/11/2017 17:02:56
59 forum posts
18 photos

I bought few airtight food containers, one for each engine, so I can keep the collection in some sort of an order.

Engines will receive final clean and then bath in after run oil, then will be wrapped in thick plastic bag and stored in said boxes, which will be kept in bigger air tight container.

I go for ARO as this is the most available lubricant for me, can get it tomorrow straight after work. Hope this solution will work.

Once again thanks everyone for pointers.

onetenor19/11/2017 19:13:18
1371 forum posts

Similar thread on Aeromodeller Forum .Koppe No 9 Gun oil Highly recommended or air tool oil

Tom Major19/11/2017 19:25:15
59 forum posts
18 photos

Is any particular brand of air tool oil better than others? Or can I just use any stuff that I find in say halfrauds or machine mart?

I know I can get gun oils online, but would rather go to the shop.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues