Legislation Proposal at last

For drones or UAVs etc etc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J07/12/2017 11:24:09
469 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Martin Dilly 1 on 05/12/2017 00:04:49:

Before people start a postcard campaign could I appeal to you NOT to refer to model flying as a hobby. ... Model flying is a SPORT;

You won't like this Commons Briefing Paper on Civilian drones

**LINK**

Hobby or hobbyist is used 7 times. The only time that 'sport' is used is in a reference to Europe Air Sports.

Steve

cymaz07/12/2017 17:32:26
7094 forum posts
942 photos

For commercial use the drone pilot must have a NQE. So, how do the politicians square the circle about delivery drones working autonomously? Oh yes, I remember now...bribes and kick-backs...

ken anderson.07/12/2017 17:38:29
7863 forum posts
712 photos

there wont be many drone deliveries with the winds we have today in ne..1 land and if this/last year windy weather is any thing to go by--the operators will all be insolvent asap.......

ken Anderson...ne...1....insolvent dept.

Martin Dilly 109/12/2017 23:36:04
14 forum posts

Benefits of our Sports Council recognition? Well, it’s been around 40 years or so since I was heavily involved in the negotiations and the organisation itself seems to have changed. For 3 or 4 years we did get a small amount of funding towards the out of pocket expenses of those selected to represent Britain at World Championships; however, after that it was decided that actual funding would in future go only to 22 so-called prime Olympic sports, with the result that the other 133 recognised sports, including model flying, got nothing.

Presumably as a sop to the devolutionists, there now exist Sport Wales, Sport Scotland, Sport Northern Ireland, Sport England and UK Sport. Are you keeping up…? Some of these organisations do fund some aspects of the other recognised sports. I’m a bit rusty on the details but the various Sports Councils’ list of some of the benefits of recognition of national governing bodies like the BMFA may help:

a) Association with their respective Sports Councils, for instance through the use of the Sports Council logos on the NGB website (please note that the UK Sport logo may only be used for Olympic and Paralympic NGBs); and

b) A need to regularly review governance and ensure minimum standards are kept in line with the recognition review process in place.

The benefits of recognition for sports participants and other stakeholders include:

a) Detail on the organisations with which the Sports Councils choose to have dialogue for a particular sport;

b) Clarity on the NGB structure and how the body operates and governs its sport, with some consistency in terms of the recognition application and recognition review requirements (for instance geographical jurisdiction, development plan, competition structures etc.);

c) Improved governance, sharing of good practice and an emphasis on sporting development which should also contribute to the quality of the sporting experience for participants; and

d) Access to potential funding. For instance many funding programmes list recognition as the first eligibility criterion for applicants.

Clearer now? One benefit of being on the list of recognised sports, quite apart from funding, is that local authorities must at least consider providing facilities for model flying where possible, rather than just dismissing it out of hand as just another pastime. Another is that, as a recognised air sport, BMFA members who are under 24 are eligible to apply for funding from the Royal Aero Club bursary scheme. More info here: http://www.royalaeroclubtrust.org/bursaries.

Erfolg10/12/2017 00:16:31
10583 forum posts
992 photos

I am not at all clear if there any or even a singular tangible advantage in being considered a sport.

Earlier in this thread i understood that the BMFA argued that a case can be made that in being defined as a sport ther is real benefit in being defined as a sport in that LA were required to raise definable reasons not to grant planning permission for suitable flying sites. At one time it was argued that LA were obliged to find suitable locations within their jurisdiction for clubs to undertake the sport of model flying.

Now it seems that the benefits are anything but clear cut.

Although anything that at least applies moral pressure or a need to demonstrate that efforts have been made by the LA is better than having no requirement, with respect to suitable facilities.

My main concern is the much trumpeted UK legislation that both Newspapers and the BBC have referenced being at least passed in 2018 if not instantly implemented. Both types of media outlets have indicated far reaching restrictions. The descriptions have a strong broad brush aspect, although when read carefully, it becomes less clear what will be implemented and who must comply.

I do not blame the BMFA for what is happening or is purported to happen. All I desire is that we, who will potentially be affected are kept informed by The BMFA. If the BMFA knows nothing, just tell us. It could be that they also have been kept out of the loop. If they are informed, I would very much doubt that they are silenced by the "Official Secrets Act", as these issues are very unlikely to jepardise national security.

My own view is as a modeller I would much rather fail in safeguarding our sport or hobby after trying to defend it, than regret sitting on my hands, as it could be seen as rocking the boat.

Cuban810/12/2017 10:05:29
1606 forum posts
1 photos

Quote...........

"There is concern, especially amongst hobbyists, that by falling under the prototype regulation (which will become an actual regulation at some point and thus directly applicable in the UK, at least until Brexit) first person view (FPV) model aircraft and the like would face restrictions on whether and how they could fly that would in effect make it impossible for them to pursue their hobby as they do now.

How many more times?.............model aircraft are not drones.....................repeat please..................model aircraft are not drones................repeat please.....................repeat please............................

Steve J10/12/2017 10:50:29
469 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 10/12/2017 10:05:29:

model aircraft are not drones.

What definitions of 'model aircraft' and 'drones' do you think that the government should use?

Steve

Graham R10/12/2017 11:10:48
222 forum posts
6 photos

How about either:-

1) Any UAV with more than two horizontal mounted props.

or

2) Any UAV with more than two vertically mounted power units

cymaz10/12/2017 11:24:33
7094 forum posts
942 photos
Posted by Graham R on 10/12/2017 11:10:48:

How about either:-

1) Any UAV with more than two horizontal mounted props.

or

2) Any UAV with more than two vertically mounted power units

I don’t think that would satisfy the powers that be, it too vague. Any model aircraft eg Lancaster bomber would be classed the same as as a quadcopter?

Better to say something like.... “any single or multiple span rigid/ fixed wing aircraft and/or with any propulsion system either by props or fans fixed into the wings or front/rear of the fuselage”....it’s a bit of a dogs dinner but it tries to cover everything. Gyrocopters have motors on the fuselage so that covers them.

Someone else have a go, my head hurts

Edited By cymaz on 10/12/2017 11:26:26

Edited By cymaz on 10/12/2017 11:26:50

Ron Gray10/12/2017 11:32:29
334 forum posts
101 photos

Drone - any multi rotor UAV whose primary propulsion is vertical. I know this would encompass helicopters but got to draw the line somewhere!

Edited By Ron Gray on 10/12/2017 11:33:48

Steve J10/12/2017 11:32:33
469 forum posts
22 photos

How would you classify the HEF 32?

dsc_0154_edited.jpg

Steve

Graham R10/12/2017 11:34:10
222 forum posts
6 photos

or

Any electric powered UAV with more than 2 vertically mounted power units (ie output shaft in the vertical)

Ron Gray10/12/2017 11:34:54
334 forum posts
101 photos

@Steve - Drone

Edited By Ron Gray on 10/12/2017 11:35:41

cymaz10/12/2017 11:36:49
7094 forum posts
942 photos

Tail boom- fuselage.Prop at rear of fuselage, maybe?

What wouldn’t you describe it as ? Looks like a helicopter shape though others might disagree

cymaz10/12/2017 11:43:18
7094 forum posts
942 photos
Posted by Steve J on 10/12/2017 11:32:33:

How would you classify the HEF 32?

dsc_0154_edited.jpg

Steve

Helicopter

Steve J10/12/2017 11:52:45
469 forum posts
22 photos

How about the zipline delivery UAVs?

**LINK**

Or the DATAhawk?

**LINK**

Steve

cymaz10/12/2017 11:57:46
7094 forum posts
942 photos

What do you class them as, these are definitely drones! Fixed wing or multi rotor?wink

Edited By cymaz on 10/12/2017 11:58:05

Steve J10/12/2017 12:23:08
469 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by cymaz on 10/12/2017 11:57:46:

What do you class them as

As far as I am concerned they are all simply unmanned aircraft.

People stating that "model aircraft are not drones" need to produce workable definitions of both model aircraft and drones as distinct subsets of unmanned aircraft and I don't think that it is possible to do so.

Steve

Ron Gray10/12/2017 13:30:34
334 forum posts
101 photos

Isn’t the distinction made by the use of the word airplane rather than aircraft for fixed wing jobbies. In the case of a multi rotor, it is not an airplane but it is an aircraft.

The problem is that the general public picked up on the word drone to describe a multirotor and that’s what has stuck. We too in our generalisation coin the word drone for quads. So most people know what you mean when you say drone, it’s the powers that be who have screwed it up!

Ron Gray10/12/2017 13:30:36
334 forum posts
101 photos

dupe posting

Edited By Ron Gray on 10/12/2017 13:31:17

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues