Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What servo for Wots Wot XL

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Frank Skilbeck07/12/2017 14:04:05
3802 forum posts
91 photos

Rocker a Sub C cell is just a different size to AA or AAA, eg. https://www.overlander.co.uk/premium-sport-3800-6v-flat.html, the big advantage is the lower internal resistance compared to high capacity AA cells, so on a large model where the servos will draw more power requires more amps, the sub C cells are better at delivering the amps without any significant voltage dip compared to AA cells.

The chemistry is identical to the AA Nimh cells but their larger size means a lower internal resistance.

Jon Harper - Laser Engines07/12/2017 14:04:13
3162 forum posts
129 photos

I use subc nimh packs all the time. They get my vote, just make sure you also use the beefier heavy duty switches as well

Nigel R07/12/2017 14:31:28
654 forum posts
167 photos

Sub Cs are the big brothers of AA nicad/nimh cells. More capacity, can supply more current. Whether you need that capacity and current on this model? The model is certainly big enough to carry the extra battery weight without complaint.

john stones 107/12/2017 14:31:52
8855 forum posts
1379 photos

And as your models bigger the weight penalty, don't matter so much, I use these switches, there are others available.

Engine Doctor07/12/2017 15:01:07
1812 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 07/12/2017 14:31:52:

And as your models bigger the weight penalty, don't matter so much, I use these switches, there are others available.

Be careful with these switches and check thoroughly before plugging in a Rx. I plugged an expensive Rx in knowing that it was working a few minutes earlier and it was dead . Stripped the switch down and found power wire pinched with signal wire and insulation had failed . This fed power into the signal wire blowing Rx ! Not much room inside due to charge socket etc .It was only one out of four that I bought but cost me dearly. The dealer offered to replace the switch  ,but blown Rx fell on deaf ears !

Rocker07/12/2017 15:56:19
121 forum posts

Thanks ,now it has been explained it not a problem .I have order the sub C battery pack from Wheelspin Models and the heavy duty switch. I really should take Jon advice and order the Laser 180 while he has one Just want to make sure everything is fine before I splash out £825.So I think I will get 5 Futaba 3010 servo,1 subC battery pack ,1 heavy duty switch 1 laser 180 and a Futaba 3008 receiver and every think is good to go Unless there are any more hidden surprises ?Thank again for everyone help .

ASH.07/12/2017 16:22:10
164 forum posts

Rocker, subC battery is bigger and heavier than your standard 6.volt AA. It will have to be a normal Nimh not like the low self-disharge eneloop, so it will need to be charged before flying. That's the main disadvantage. A 3000mah would be sufficient I think.
The alternative is a 3000mah Life, much lighter but it has the disadvantage in that you cannot check voltage remaining at the field using a battery load detector. It has be guessed and worked out by mAh put back in on charger. So you know roughly how many mAh each flight uses.
My decision would rest on engine weight and balance of model preferring to go with the Life without any added weight.
Jon Harper - Laser Engines07/12/2017 16:30:40
3162 forum posts
129 photos

I use 3010 servos in some of my warbirds. They will be plenty, 3000 ish mah subc pack should give you at least 20 flights worth of capacity (check with your battery charger) and will have plenty of current capability. I personally use the futaba HD switches and have found them reliable.

i think you have all the bases covered

ASH.07/12/2017 16:31:13
164 forum posts

Rocker, you don't need a S3010 for throttle. A 148 or 3001 will do fine.

Good idea to think ahead and get the engine now and all the bit and pieces in so when you're ready nothing is going to hamper you.
Denis Watkins07/12/2017 16:32:25
2119 forum posts
108 photos

I'm no aerobat Ash, so may not be typical

But to add to your figures, I have never put in more than 300mah during a days flying

I do a check after the third flight, and decide whether to top up

Obviously some models carry only 4 servos, and my delta has 7 servos

The big boys should therefore check frequently, assisted by external charge plug.

Even with a 3000mah pack, it would be safe to go airborne at 1000mah

Yet non of us would launch with a pack 2/3rds down

ASH.07/12/2017 16:47:26
164 forum posts

One last tip Rocker, get Solarfilm clearcoat resin and seal all edges of film and trim before assembly. It will stay put for duration of the model
It's time consuming but well worth it.
I also use it for fuel proofer on firewall, tank bay and anywhere where else a drop of fuel might splash. Basically any exposed timber.
Good luck.
Ron Gray07/12/2017 17:54:59
335 forum posts
101 photos

I use a 3000mah LiFe pack on my WWXL and quite happily get a full day’s flying of 7 - 8 flights each of about 8 minutes. I usually take a spare pack with me, just in case, but to date have not had to swap. My flying style could be classed as ‘energetic’ sports, in other words quite a bit of throwing the ‘plane around. The pack is also used to energise the plugs when starting via the 2 x glow drivers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues