Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hobby King Warranty

Good news on return of speed controller

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Parkes12/12/2017 08:46:19
24 forum posts

I purchased a YEP speed controller from Hobby King with the card to re-programme this type of controller, the speedo worked when first received but on trying to re-programme ,it it would not run the motor (this type of speedo is set up for helicopters from the factory and has to be re-programmed to use for planes) I tried re programming, re setting the throttle settings on the speedo and the transmitter all to no avail, I returned it to the U.K. branch of H.K. and within 3 days they E mailed me back to let me know that it was faulty and a new speedo. was on its way to me. I know that H.K. have had returns problems in the past ,but I think the way that they have dealt with my problem is first class. if any one has settings for this type of speedo for use in ducted fan planes I would appreciate any advise

Trevor Crook13/12/2017 07:25:30
564 forum posts
40 photos

Geoff, I've got a couple of these but never used them in an edf. You know about turning off the slow spool up for helis, and presumably setting the throttle high and low points and cell count. I'd be inclined to set the timing to auto and try it from there.

pete taylor13/12/2017 12:11:11
312 forum posts
142 photos

Hi Geoff. I've used several YEP esc's in edf models and Trevor is absolutely correct when he advises using the Auto timing setting. I use this as a default and while you could argue that tweaking of the timing might increase the performance slightly, in practice I've never found it necessary to do so.

YEP esc's are very flexible in use, but this flexibility comes at the price of complexity, and many have been returned under warranty as faulty when in fact it's a simple programming error, although yours does sound like a dodgy one!

If you haven't already, have a look at this video for a nice, clear explanation of how to programme the esc using the card.

Pete

Alan H13/12/2017 19:07:10
14 forum posts

I've used several of these in fixed wing aerobatic models. I rate them very highly but would advise anyone about to buy one for the first time to also buy the programming card due to the number of parameters there are to set. I have noticed a couple of things with these ESC's. Setting timing to auto always gives good results whereas manually setting sometimes seems to produce strange behaviour. The other thing I have found is that after throttle calibration you can always get a few more RPM if you increase the throttle channel endpoint, maybe 100 to 200rpm. I now tweak the throttle endpoint until no further increase can be observed after normal calibration.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues