Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon - Laser Engines09/03/2018 23:14:12
3585 forum posts
144 photos

great to hear Rocker. You will have to get a video

Timothy Harris 114/03/2018 11:39:13
618 forum posts
94 photos

Hi Rocker a photo of your Wottie with the 180 would be great on the Wots Wot XL thread . I have a Laser 155 in mine and get about 15+ minutes on the standard tank which I believe to be around 450 cc or about 15oz. The 155 is great in my plane and I bet the 180 even better!

Rocker15/03/2018 14:04:02
189 forum posts

I will try to get someone to video it ,yes the 180 fly it well on loops it just pulls up without loosing any power .I have a problem with the fuel at the moment .After exactly 6 minutes the engine just cut out .Which to me indicated a problem with the fuel delivery .Took the tank out and found almost a 1/4 of a tank of fuel left in the tank so I have re plumb the tank because it seems the pick up was a bit short It ready to try again but the weather up here is not that good at the moment .Once I get a chance to fly it again I am hoping that will cure the problem I'll let you know

John Lucas 417/03/2018 11:50:31
31 forum posts
5 photos

Jon,

I have bought a Laser 180 never been run from a fellow club member minus the operating instructions. I have the instructions for my 150 which I could refer to for general mnt, but for propeller sizes and tappet gaps the 180 instructions would be handy.

Could I please purchase a set of operating instructions.

John

Don Fry17/03/2018 12:22:44
2259 forum posts
29 photos

PM Sent guv.

Guvnor17/03/2018 12:55:58
94 forum posts

So I was after a 300V. But this is on the webpage. Undated, and no indication of how long the delays will be...

IMPORTANT NOTICE.

Laser Engines are currently in the process of moving and upgrading our manufacturing facilities. This is causing disruption to our normal work flow and has required a temporary scaling back of our product line.

All of our V twin engines and certain singles are currently out of production and are not available for sale. Engines that are in production (70,80,100 and 155) may be out of stock for extended periods while we move but will be replaced as quickly as possible.

This is only a temporary measure and once our new factory is up and running we will return these engines to production at the earliest opportunity.

Please keep checking the website for updates as available engines will be listed as soon as they are ready.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused

Jon - Laser Engines17/03/2018 19:39:12
3585 forum posts
144 photos

Guvnor I'm not exactly sure what you want from me?

I regret that the situation is exactly as I described in the quoted notice.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 17/03/2018 19:39:41

Guvnor17/03/2018 19:44:38
94 forum posts

Well there's no date on the notice.

Has it been there a week? A month? A year??

Some indication of timescales involved might prevent me, and others, buying other engines rather than waiting for what may be a relatively short time!

Ron Gray17/03/2018 20:05:45
769 forum posts
200 photos

Last year I waited 3 months for a 160v, don’t regret it one bit and so glad I didn’t go elsewhere! The notice on the Laser website is very new (week rather than month / year)

Jon - Laser Engines17/03/2018 21:19:12
3585 forum posts
144 photos
Posted by Guvnor on 17/03/2018 19:44:38:

Well there's no date on the notice.

Has it been there a week? A month? A year??

Some indication of timescales involved might prevent me, and others, buying other engines rather than waiting for what may be a relatively short time!

I posted the notices on the 8th.

I am unable to give any further information as I simply do not know. I wish I did, but I don't and believe me I'm not at all happy about it.

Rocker17/03/2018 21:56:42
189 forum posts

Laser are worth the wait yes

Chris Walby18/03/2018 07:07:06
405 forum posts
65 photos

On a technical note, is it just my limited experience or is it usual to need to very slightly tweak the main needle slightly richer as the flights progress during a flying day?

So I unpack, set up, check over and start up. Once warmed up check the acceleration and full throttle RPM and adjust where necessary.

Then go have have some fun!

Land, stop refuel and have tea. When ready for another bout of fun start up, warm up and fly. Now not every time, but occasionally I have to make it just a bit richer, but I would have though (wrongly!) as the air warms plus any residual heat in the engine that if anything it would need to be a bit leaner....

Views of the experienced Laser owners would be appreciated (while I am waiting for my fuel proofer dries!)?

Percy Verance18/03/2018 08:58:42
6263 forum posts
110 photos

If you buy another different engine, it simply will not be the same. Be under no illusion, you will be settling for second best. If you really want a Laser, then hang fire until a Laser is availble. I've bought five of them since 1993.......

Everything comes to he who waits...........

I bought a 160V ten years ago. Nice aren't they Ron? yes

Chris. Needle tweaking with a Laser? Not heard that one before. I think I adjusted the needle on my Laser 150 twice one year. Obviously that was a bad year.......but then I was trying some different fuel. Normally I never touched it from one month to the next, winter or summer. Just fly Chris, don't fiddle. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/03/2018 09:05:05

Jon - Laser Engines18/03/2018 09:41:47
3585 forum posts
144 photos
Posted by Chris Walby on 18/03/2018 07:07:06:

On a technical note, is it just my limited experience or is it usual to need to very slightly tweak the main needle slightly richer as the flights progress during a flying day?

So I unpack, set up, check over and start up. Once warmed up check the acceleration and full throttle RPM and adjust where necessary.

Then go have have some fun!

Land, stop refuel and have tea. When ready for another bout of fun start up, warm up and fly. Now not every time, but occasionally I have to make it just a bit richer, but I would have though (wrongly!) as the air warms plus any residual heat in the engine that if anything it would need to be a bit leaner....

Views of the experienced Laser owners would be appreciated (while I am waiting for my fuel proofer dries!)?

The 300 in my La7 does this sometimes, usually after a long sleep between flying sessions (thanks snow) I will fly it once, then give it a small tweak for the next flight. It will then stay like that for the rest of the day.

I would say its unusual but not totally unheard of, although I don't have to change it for each successive flight. Normally I just tune for max power for the first flight of the day and then I leave it alone

Jon - Laser Engines18/03/2018 09:52:04
3585 forum posts
144 photos

Ah, something just came to mind.

From the procedure you mention chris is possible you are tuning the engine initially when its warm (as you should) and then when you come to accelerate a cold engine upon restart its a touch lean and protests. Running it a little longer to warm up should cure the problem.

This sort of thing becomes very apparent on a twin by the way. A friend has a black horse he111 with two 46 enya 4 strokes and I have my laser powered twin. If not brought up to full temperature one engine will always quit on throttle up so we use a 15-20 second run at about 70% power to bring the engines up to temperature, then full power, tune, and off to the runway. Another 15 second warm up before taxi out and its good to go with only 70% throttle used for takeoff.

Basically you just cover your bases. If you slap the engines about, irrespective of brand, you will come a cropper one day.

If the weather ever sorts itself out I may see if I can get a video of my twin in action.

Guvnor18/03/2018 11:27:57
94 forum posts

If you buy another different engine, it simply will not be the same. Be under no illusion, you will be settling for second best. If you really want a Laser, then hang fire until a Laser is availble. I've bought five of them since 1993.......

I know, I already own two... I'd like it to be three...

I posted the notices on the 8th.

I am unable to give any further information as I simply do not know. I wish I did, but I don't and believe me I'm not at all happy about it.

Now I'm confused. You are being forced to move?? I don't understand why you don't know roughly what the timescales are... Oh well...

bert baker18/03/2018 11:41:59
1087 forum posts
228 photos

Give Jon a bit of time to sort out what he need to do,

We are lucky to have the main man to ask questions, but there's a limit to what we should be asking.

Can't say I've seen other manufacturers who's products are less desirable to own on here helping folks out

I ordered a KFC a while back and had to wait

Edited By bert baker on 18/03/2018 11:43:13

Guvnor18/03/2018 11:49:54
94 forum posts

I'm quite aware that Laser are on here answering questions.

I'm also quite happy to wait, provided there's at least a vague indication of how long... A week? A month?? A year???

there's a limit to what we should be asking.

Really??!

Sorry, but it's not unreasonable to ask a commercial business how long they are going to be out of action...

JR have just done the same thing.

Lack of communication about timescales of changes in trading have killed them...

Cuban818/03/2018 12:29:17
1852 forum posts
2 photos

It's not an ideal situation for any business to put itself into, but of course, one is not comparing like with like. If BurgerKing closed its business for an extended period of time, their competitors would destroy their customer base beyond recovery, pretty much the same with any large chain or even a small business providing a common service with many competitors nipping at their heels.

Lets face it Laser are unique, both in their product, and to an extent in their loyal customer base, so I suppose the usual rules will not apply in extremis. View Laser rather like Morgan Cars.

I wish Jon and the business well, take time to get it right..........but not too longwink.

Ron Gray18/03/2018 13:04:28
769 forum posts
200 photos

Moving a manufacturing operation to new premises is never a quick exercise and will inevitably cause disruption to supply lines, especially do to an organisation like Laser who don’t keep massive stock levels. I too am waiting for a couple more engines from Jon but based on my experience last year with the 160v I do not expect these for 2 - 3 months, my guess, not a time that’s been given to me by Jon. I’m prepared to wait for this time, as I said above, and as others have also said, well worth the wait. Initially when I was waiting for the 160v I was frustrated because I didn’t understand why a date couldn’t be given to me but having spoken to Jon I came to understand how the management at Laser works ( or not as the case maybe!).

The 160v was my first Laser but since then I have bought 2x 80s, a 155, a 180 (second hand in a ‘plane) and a 240v. I am so glad I waited for the 160v otherwise I may well have gone down a different route and ended up with second best.

Regarding lack of coms from Jon, he has always made clear the situation regarding engine supplies moving from the backorder situation to one where he will not take orders unless there is stock. I’m not defending the guy, just stating the facts! At the end of the day we make our decisions based on what we consider to be important and our planned timescales. For me this means that my planes planned for the new Lasers will not be taking to the air until the summer months, so be it and something to look forward to!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues