Forum sponsored by CML

Repair of crashed model

Fun Flyer-Phil Claridge's 'Victor Meldew'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Etheridge 117/03/2018 14:20:38
1399 forum posts
394 photos

Just as I suspected the time I spent yesterday on the wing servos and mounts was abortive so I have today replaced the mounts such that the wing servos can mount in the usual manner. Fortunately with this arrangement the Futaba servos just about fit. However the servo links will now be re-routed under the wings rather than on top which appeared to be the previous arrangement. I think now I will keep up with today's football as my toes have got very cold in the garage with over an inch of snow outside.

p3160329.jpg

p3160330.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/03/2018 14:22:43

cymaz17/03/2018 14:23:37
7483 forum posts
973 photos

If if you want to find some servos to fit.....have a look at THIS

Mike Etheridge 117/03/2018 14:34:36
1399 forum posts
394 photos

Thanks Cymaz , I should have checked in advance of ordering the new servos. However the dimension that is missing is that of the projection of the shaft above say the servo mounts. On reflection I just wonder whether the plane ever functioned with the servo links above the wings, perhaps Phil Claridge can throw some light on the issue as he must have removed the previous set of servos?.

Mike Etheridge 130/03/2018 18:05:35
1399 forum posts
394 photos

Wing servos now fixed and cables fished through the wing ribs to a 'Y-lead'. I need to install the receiver , a new flight battery and switch to finish off the model. As mentioned earlier with the construction complete I need to do a C/G check using my Weston Cougar as a template. I will also try and copy the Cougar's flying surface movements although the Cougar is on 35 mhz and the repaired Fun Fly will be on 2.4 Ghz and will of course need the 'Fail Safe' setting. An engine test can follow but goodness knows when the weather will improve for some flying? If the plane functions OK I might consider re-covering the wings at some stage as there are a few punctures in the red covering not to mention a few rips under the yellow patches which are hiding various attempts to fit the servos it seems. I have filled the holes that were at the top of the wings with Ronseal filler and covered them with BMFA stickers.

p3300340.jpg

p3300341.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 30/03/2018 18:08:08

Mike Etheridge 115/04/2018 15:38:14
1399 forum posts
394 photos

I have just finished installing the new 5 cell Eneloop battery ,a new Radio switch and Futaba 2,4 GHZ receiver. Having bound the receiver to the transmitter the controls function OK with the exception of the throttle link which has the flexing problem as Martin suggested, but the situation is worse than I had anticipated. I have some piano wire so will have to revise the link. it's a pity because I was about to annoy the neighbours with an engine run, however it has started to rain. Oh well should I watch the Man united game and annoy my wife instead of the neighbours?

Mike Etheridge 115/04/2018 17:21:09
1399 forum posts
394 photos

New throttle connection made with piano wire. Radio adjusted for end points etc and reduced servo throws as necessary. I just need to add about 30% Expo on the elevator, rudder and ailerons and secure the receiver and fix the two associated aerials. Perhaps I can carry out an engine run tomorrow , set the fail Safe and then think about flying as the weather is meant to improve later in the week ?.

Rob Ashley15/04/2018 20:09:09
181 forum posts
54 photos

Nicely done Mike - she looks great and raring to get airborne.

Rob

Mike Etheridge 116/04/2018 15:01:14
1399 forum posts
394 photos

Thanks Rob.

I managed to get to the end of the garden today to do an engine test and was amazed that the Enya SS 30 started without a hitch. Some adjustment of the 'bottom end' may well be necessary on the flying field,however the engine which I had not run before emptied the tank. The throttle link worked OK so that problem is resolved, but I need to get the Weston Cougar out of the loft to make a C/G comparison of both planes and adjust the repaired plane as necessary.

p4140122.jpg

p4150125.jpg

p4150124.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues