Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Fokker Dr.1 - Manfred von Richthofen, 03-09-1917

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
flight112/01/2018 16:49:33
502 forum posts
32 photos

interesting found film off Manfred von Richthofen and Fokker DR1 filmed in 03-09-1917

Its over 100 years ago , amazing

Chris Walby12/01/2018 17:05:29
406 forum posts
65 photos

Thanks, Just amazing the clothing used considering how cold it must have been + two people prop swinging to start.

The short ground run was impressive!

Jonathan M12/01/2018 18:23:07
454 forum posts
258 photos

The luckless (or more likely very lucky!) RFC pilot he appears to have shot down certainly looks a bit of unsure of what to make of the gang around him... but kept smiling nonetheless!

Colin Leighfield12/01/2018 20:50:11
5372 forum posts
2180 photos

I was surprised when reading Richthofen’s diaries to find out how critical he was of the Dr1. He thought the build quality was poor and the plane structurally weak. He said that British aircraft were better. It’s certainly true that he was a brilliant pilot who got the best out of whatever he flew. The reputation of the German Air Force was based on a small cadre of exceptional pilots who were brought together into elite units. He was the best of those. However the comparison of the overall German fighter force wasn’t so good and the RFC/RAF overall was more effective. Worth remembering that the top scoring fighter of WW1 was the Camel, although there’s arguably a good case for saying that the SE5A was top dog. It wasn’t in any way outclassed by the DVII when it came along and the SE was considerably faster. I’ve recently got hold of the brilliant Hargreaves book about fighters of the 1914/18 war, my favourite “borrow”from the library in the sixties. Still fascinated by the amazing pace of development of fighter planes in WW1. Isn’t it fantastic that we are able to see film of these planes in service a hundred years later.

Concorde Speedbird12/01/2018 21:08:36
2697 forum posts
581 photos

That is a fantastic video, thank you very much for highlighting it.

Steven Shaw12/01/2018 22:15:32
209 forum posts
108 photos

The amount of info out there is quite impressive [if you know how to find it].

Tom Sharp 213/01/2018 00:10:24
2742 forum posts
13 photos

Very impressive bit of film, much information, like oiling the rockers before starting, not seen this at a scale competition.

I notice Goring was amongst the pilots standing around Manfred.

PatMc13/01/2018 00:11:35
3603 forum posts
469 photos

Looks like Hermann Goering on the left at 3.05.

Mike T13/01/2018 13:12:42
308 forum posts
25 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 13/01/2018 00:10:24:

Very impressive bit of film, much information, like oiling the rockers before starting, not seen this at a scale competition.

I notice Goring was amongst the pilots standing around Manfred.

Priming the engine with neat fuel in the exhaust ports, I think...

Goering was in the mix, but I don't think he was at Manfred's "Team Briefing" (obviously announcing the Jasta's rewards scheme and performance bonus details...)

The RFC pilot looked a little dishevelled and confused - not surprising if he'd just been shot down. His open jacket suggests he's been frisked as well (bet they nicked his watch). The gurning loon on the left is Anthony Fokker...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues