Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Paul's CAP 20 L build 2018 MB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul C.02/04/2018 19:59:51
410 forum posts
110 photos

Final assembly to check that everything fits and bind the receiver to check that everything is waggling in the right direction. Check that all movements are as per Peter’s recommendations and everything is centred on the trims then re bind. I elected not to fit the spats as I fly from grass strips which can get quite long from time to time.

Time to check the C of G , as I used an ASP 52 FS up front I moved the rudder and elevator servos further back to compensate. Checked the C of G using my Vanessa rig and found that I was about a quarter of an inch tail heavy, two small pieces of lead in the front and it balanced bang on. Noted on Peters write up that the C of G on the plan is as far back as you should go, if I had fitted the spats it might have balanced bang on without the need for additional lead.

20180401_152936.jpg

Paul C.02/04/2018 20:15:18
410 forum posts
110 photos

Looking at the weather forcast it might be May before I manage to get her into the air but at least I can set up the throttle in the garden between downpours.

Really enjoyed building this model, as I have said before I am no scale modeller but I do like the model I build to bear some semblance of the real one. Let you know how the maiden goes.

Paul.

Adrian Smith 102/04/2018 20:31:15
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Looks a smasher Paul. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden. yes

Paul C.02/04/2018 20:40:56
410 forum posts
110 photos

Thanks Adrian, turned out to be one of my better covering jobs wink

Paul.

Nigel R02/04/2018 21:18:27
1168 forum posts
259 photos
Looks absolutely cracking, very nice work indeed. Best of luck on the maiden!

Ps one of my desktop background pictures is a cap 21 in the same livery - excellent choice!
Paul C.02/04/2018 21:24:24
410 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Nigel, I think that it's one of Peter Millers best looking models and it was a free plan.

Peter Miller03/04/2018 08:16:45
9012 forum posts
1040 photos
10 articles

Thanks Paul

McG 696903/04/2018 09:43:47
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Congrats for the great job, Paul. smiley

I don't really understand why you don't like the 'covering' job. You managed to do a great deco scheme, even not the easiest one if you don't like that part of the build.

Seeing those tiny trim lines perfectly applied at such a length, you must be a genuine expert now. yes cocktail cocktail

Cheers

Chris

Paul C.03/04/2018 12:01:15
410 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Chris , although covering is not my favourite part of the build I think that I have found the secret of applying the film covering. Tack cloth, plenty of balsa lock and a little patience, my wife tells me I have lots of patience as I have not used any up to yet wink 2. Just need the weather to improve now so we can get her in the air yes

Paul.

Dwain Dibley.03/04/2018 12:31:45
918 forum posts
917 photos

Well done Paul, she looks Grand........seems to be doing a Ton just sat there....laugh

D.D.

Paul C.21/04/2018 16:15:21
410 forum posts
110 photos

It's been a while but maidened today, smile d the weather and long grass had caused the delay. Range check, set low throttle and engine cut, no more excuses so opened the throttle and away she went. The ASP52 as loads of power so she was quickly airborne, few clicks of up trim and a little aileron trim was all that was required. Half throttle was all that was required for normal flight so plenty in reserve for when I want to throw her about more. Ailerons are nice and responsive at recommended settings I have reduced throws set on the rates if required same for the elevators.

Landing was uneventfully but she does not loose speed easily so I nearly overshot the first landing, second landing was a lot better, I reduced the low throttle setting further and lost more speed on the landing circuit.

All in all my new favourite model fits in the car fully assembled, handles a dream, looking forward to exploring the performance. This model will do a lot more than I can so this should be fun, another winner from Peter Miller yes

Paul

Peter Miller21/04/2018 17:31:14
9012 forum posts
1040 photos
10 articles

Good to hear of another happy modeller.

I am glad that you had such a successful maiden flight

Have fun

McG 696921/04/2018 18:09:25
2052 forum posts
870 photos

Congrats, Paul.

Great achievement well complemented with a successful maiden.

Any plans for your next project yet?

Cheers

Chris

Paul C.21/04/2018 18:45:50
410 forum posts
110 photos

Thanks Chris,

Always a relief to get the first flight completed. Not sure what will be next on the building board , hope that we will have some good flying weather now that summer is approaching smile d. I have long fancied a Loaded dice ii but it's a bit too big for my workshop and car, but if I reduced the plan to 80 % then that would be about a 40 size. I like the older f3 A style models and they do fly well so this is looking promising wink. I am fast running out of room in my workshop need to make space , the summer flying season my solve that problem wink 2.

Paul.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues