Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew76720/03/2018 15:31:35
731 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 20/03/2018 09:45:04:
Posted by Graham R on 20/03/2018 09:27:05:

Many years ago, my 1st adult bicycle had a dynamo built in to the wheel hub and this would power the lights. If applied to a car could this be used to put back a little charge into the battery? Do they use this on electric cars?

They use the motors to recharge the battery when the car is slowing down, the new Nissan Leaf has settings where you can adjust the amount of regenerative braking, they call it one pedal driving as when you take your foot off the accelerator it then uses the kinetic energy to recharge the battery. One reason why the brake pads last so long, but this has led to another problem with brake discs corroding because they are never cleaned by the brake pads, because the user doesn't use the mechanical brakes. https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/e_Pedal.html

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 20/03/2018 09:49:08

Just to clarify this.All EVs have regen braking,not just the OnePedal system by Nissan..At present Nissan have 3 levels of regen braking and Mitsubishi have 5. Brake corrosion isn't a problem on two pedal cars as although regen will slow you down, it doesn't actually stop the vehicle (unless you are going uphill of course) so the brakes are still used but less often.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew767 on 20/03/2018 15:33:24

Simon Webb20/03/2018 17:25:39
141 forum posts
19 photos

The human body is not designed to be subjected to all the microwaves, radiation, 5G, and other nonsense that the future has in store.

Expect more headaches, migraines, tumours, amputations, and loss of freedoms ......very soon.

Imagine the scene.....your political views have been found to be incorrect....so the governrnment has stopped your car from charging.....turned down your central heating.....fined you electronically as there will be no money......just electronic credits instead......and stopped you from living your life.....by using all this technology against you!

Striking at work? You are fined £1000 immediately......

The oppressive future!

Percy Verance20/03/2018 19:00:12
6263 forum posts
110 photos

Never mind Simon, we'll all get used to it. It is said you'd get used to being hung if you lived long enough........

Simon Webb20/03/2018 23:54:38
141 forum posts
19 photos

Our food is rubbish too.

I am going to make an allotment in my back garden! 

Edited By Simon Webb on 20/03/2018 23:56:18

Tom Sharp 221/03/2018 01:29:46
2740 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Simon Webb on 20/03/2018 23:54:38:

Our food is rubbish too.

I am going to make an allotment in my back garden!

Edited By Simon Webb on 20/03/2018 23:56:18

No time for gardening, you should be out flying.

Percy Verance21/03/2018 06:50:50
6263 forum posts
110 photos

The people whom live near me tend to lean towards the *good life*, planting pigs and knitting their own yoghurt. They keep lots of hens too, although despite being neighbours for several years now I've yet to be given a single egg. That said, they're far enough away from me that conversation doesn't exactly flow. It took over two years before I discovered their surname, and that was only because a parcel was wrongly delivered to me instead of them. I'm actually quite surprised they don't have an electric car given their penchant for self sufficiency.......

Oh, and anyone who might be interested in a nice new Porche, there's a new 100% electric 4x4 coming from them in 2021. Or something a little less flashy? Mercedes have stated they'll be marketing their new EQ C SUV next year. It will be the first of ten 100% EV's from Mercedes. It seems BMW will be close behind too. They are to produce fully electric versions of all their "X" series models....

It seems the motor industry is responding fairly promptly now that the cut off point for the manufacture of combustion powered vehicles has been established........

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/03/2018 07:03:47

Don Fry21/03/2018 07:14:30
2259 forum posts
29 photos

But Percy, it could just as easily be the large manufacturers dipping their toes, terrified they miss the " next big thing". None of the above models have sold a unit, or made a dime yet.

Think, dot com bubble

Cuban821/03/2018 08:05:10
1852 forum posts
2 photos

I suppose we've got to have something to worry about - don't you just miss old style serfdom, infectious disease, adulterated food and water, high infant mortality, starvation, no political say whatsoever, and longevity of around 35 or 40 if you were very lucky.......oh, and being asked (!) to fight the occasional war from time to time.

As my dear old Nan, born in 1897 into what was then still Dickensian style poverty in London's east end, used to say to me when I'd complain about something or the other as a kid in the 60s - "you don't know you're born, son".

Listened to a report last night as I was driving back from Derbyshire (340 miles round trip, seven hours driving time in total, one fill up with the 'deadly' diesel and still 300 miles range remainingdevil) about the appalling state of much of the country's roads, because the coffers are empty. Oh, sure, we're going to have a wonderful 'leccy network all installed for us, and costing millions or billions, no problem. Still, the deadline's been set, IC is out and if we can believe Mr Micawber, ' something's bound to turn up". Everything's 'gonna be alright.yes

Anyone know of a benevolent foreign investor to foot the bill.........be careful what you wish for!

Don Fry21/03/2018 09:23:56
2259 forum posts
29 photos

But the report was by the Tarmac Layers Association. As to it gravity, I assume your car survived its cross country survival course.

Edited By Don Fry on 21/03/2018 09:24:22

Cuban821/03/2018 10:05:06
1852 forum posts
2 photos

The motorways are generally fine, but personal experience confirms just how bad some other roads are. We have a particular roundabout just off of the A12, where what can only be described as a trench, has worn its way into a large sector of the road surface. With the recent bad weather it's really breaking up now. Quite how unsuspecting motorcyclists haven't been throw off in droves is amazing, but the council simply ignore it.

Another issue is 'cat's eyes' or rather the lack of them! I notice that it's become a habit to often not reinstate CEs when some minor roads are resurfaced. A two mile stretch of winding country road has succumbed to this near my home. Where they are replaced after roadworks, they appear to be of inferior quality and for some reason fail within a matter of a few months and are then just left dark.

What a simple, brilliant design CEs are, and have been a boon to road safety for many decades, yet are seemingly deemed to be not particularly important now - at least on roads that are not motorways or main trunk routes. In good weather it's not so much of a problem, but even with decent modern headlights, at night in heavy rain and spray, fog etc they are a vital warning of hazards up ahead and should be kept in good order. Budgets again, I suppose. We must get our priorities right before going on fanciful spending sprees.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/03/2018 10:07:58

Percy Verance21/03/2018 17:03:12
6263 forum posts
110 photos

Don

The CEO of Jaguar/Land Rover is confident of Jaguar's first entry into the 100% electric car market, stating that they have a healthy - and growing - list of forward orders for the i Pace. Indeed, he feels that there will soon be a waiting list......

Nissan have 10,000+ forward orders for their new Leaf model. Elon Musk claims the orders for the Tesla Model 3 are now into six figures. 

Audi have taken a "substantial" number of deposits on the (upcoming) E Tron 100% electric SUV, and again interest is increasing. Is there any particular reason why you feel the other manufacturers can't afford to be optimistic - bullish even?

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/03/2018 17:07:58

Nigel R21/03/2018 17:18:00
1040 forum posts
251 photos

"Think, dot com bubble"

No, this one is regulation driven. Commercially, it's as much of a banker as anything can be.

Just noticed a Tesla S park up at work. No recharge points here.

I might yet get an electric bike.

Recharge points for those are everywhere.

Don Fry21/03/2018 19:07:43
2259 forum posts
29 photos

I actually agree, regulation driven.

To pay for the charging system.

Some suggest a country pub owner does a charging point to get a customer. I then see a hundred customers, on a pint each charging their cars on his bill. Or he and others, charge a quid per 10 minutes. (Rate of charge as appropriate) that will pay for the system. Market forces will then even out the excessive profiteers.

If the government do an eccalating fuel duty to discourage the internal combustion engine, making a market driven charge system a commercial possibility.

But not much hope from the governments position fron the last 10 years, where they have not done the fuel duty escalator for the last 10 years, because it seems they don't want to offend road fuel users.

Nowt for nowt in this life.

Percy Verance21/03/2018 20:10:14
6263 forum posts
110 photos

You've set me thinking now Don. Who do you suppose paid for the oil refineries, the fuel tankers, the filling stations and all those petrol and diesel pumps?

I'm just wondering why upgrading the grid to cope with additional demand need be such a sticking point? It happened ok for the petroleum industry, why can't it happen for the electricity distribution network?

The charge points I've seen at both car parks and hotels/guest houses in the Lakes have had EPOS card facilities Don. As I understand it there are also several types of EV user "networks" available. You apparrently sign up with your details, and you have some sort of card or chip which gives you 24/7 access to those charging points with the said facility - as many seem to have, and you're electronically billed.

As combustion engined vehicles start to become less popular Don, the DoT will begin to phase in ever increasing stringent standards for the MOT test - some of these regs have been finalised, ready for introduction. The ultimate aim of course is to meet the anti pollution commitments they signed up to by ridding the roads of the heaviest polluting vehicles. Some of this is up in the air, as there are now factions within the Government who are pushing to bring the 2040 cut-off deadline for the sale of new i.c. powered vehicles forward by up to ten years in order to fall in line with some other nations.

Personally I don't think there will be too many new i.c. powered vehicles around by 2040.

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/03/2018 20:43:32

Dave Bran21/03/2018 20:32:04
1886 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 21/03/2018 10:05:06:

Another issue is 'cat's eyes' or rather the lack of them! I notice that it's become a habit to often not reinstate CEs when some minor roads are resurfaced. A two mile stretch of winding country road has succumbed to this near my home. Where they are replaced after roadworks, they appear to be of inferior quality and for some reason fail within a matter of a few months and are then just left dark.

This is because we have allowed private vehicles to "grow" so they are unable to keep to the left of them or fit half the available road space.

Dave Bran21/03/2018 20:33:59
1886 forum posts
5 photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GeHnMwl1c

If you have limited time, come in around 3m 20s or so.....................

Edited By Dave Bran on 21/03/2018 20:35:03

Don Fry21/03/2018 20:38:55
2259 forum posts
29 photos

Percy, right you are, as long as you get the drift it's going to get paid for. And rest assured, you will pay.

Or should I say, you should, in fairness, pay.

Percy Verance21/03/2018 20:45:38
6263 forum posts
110 photos

The taxpayer pays Don. There is nowhere else for the money to come from. .

Oh, and Don, although there have been no fuel escalator increases for some time, other little taxes have appeared out of the blue. The new car registration fee, the charge for transferring a personal registration plate, an increase in the rate of insurance tax ( clever one that - we all have to have insurance of some sort). And so it goes on.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/03/2018 20:56:12

Erfolg21/03/2018 21:16:08
10743 forum posts
1005 photos

The reason there was a fuel escalator was a government that spent money that the economy was not generating. According to many of the economists, the halt in the escalor was necessary to prevent further distortions in the viability of the economy relative to many other markets.

Just think of the Steel industry as an example of how excess taxes cost jobs.

It is reasonable that electric vehicle users should pay for all the additional infrastructure envisaged.

You can still phase out IC if you wish by taxation, you just have to ensure that all other competitor economies do the same. If not, the UK could be at a disadvantage.

I do accept and realise that many of the EU regulations have actually been non tariff artificial barriers. The obvious one being the low energy light bulbs. What I suspect was not recognised, that many of the exporters to the EU, would quickly adapt to producing low energy lighting equipment. These artificial barriers are proving to be less effective. Which could mean your children and grandchildren will have no jobs, if poor decisions are made on transport costs and also the vehicles. Just think of how the UK/EU motor cycle industry crashed, whilst the Japanese made and supplied what the world wanted, albeit a 50cc motor cycle.

Erfolg21/03/2018 22:01:54
10743 forum posts
1005 photos

Don, the user should pay, not the taxpayer. I could not morally justify to myself others paying for something I want. If I want it, I should pay, not expect others to pay, I would feel like a moral bankrupt if i expected others to pay.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues