Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
KiwiKid23/01/2018 13:27:05
381 forum posts
359 photos

I have seen comments on here and elsewhere regarding the hazard caused by an electric car's almost silent passage. I was nearly a victim of this myself last year - I was about to cross a road and had two cars go past, was about to step off the curb when a Niro zipped past with hardly a sound. Very smooth tarseal and wind noise helped it's stealthy passage, but I wonder what will happen when the inevitable fatality happens, if it hasn't already. Maybe the compulsory fitting of a sound module could be in the offing - I would plum for a Merlin I think.

EDIT: just as an aside, I have seen the odd poster struggling with the fiendish line that appears on the left of quoted text. To escape it's evil clutches just locate your cursor at the end of the text and hit the down arrow button - freedom!

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/01/2018 13:31:59

J D 823/01/2018 13:35:00
807 forum posts
53 photos

I can see many animals becoming casualty's of electric cars as they set off with little noise adding to the allready massive numers who's lives are lost to motor vehicles.

Phil 923/01/2018 13:43:15
4208 forum posts
198 photos
Posted by KiwiKid on 23/01/2018 13:27:05:

I have seen comments on here and elsewhere regarding the hazard caused by an electric car's almost silent passage. I was nearly a victim of this myself last year - I was about to cross a road and had two cars go past, was about to step off the curb when a Niro zipped past with hardly a sound. Very smooth tarseal and wind noise helped it's stealthy passage, but I wonder what will happen when the inevitable fatality happens, if it hasn't already. Maybe the compulsory fitting of a sound module could be in the offing - I would plum for a Merlin I think.

EDIT: just as an aside, I have seen the odd poster struggling with the fiendish line that appears on the left of quoted text. To escape it's evil clutches just locate your cursor at the end of the text and hit the down arrow button - freedom!

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/01/2018 13:31:59

what if people learned to look where they are going and learned not to try and blame everyone else for their accidents. we maybe then will be able to enjoy the reduction in traffic noise.

Edited By Phil 9 on 23/01/2018 13:47:47

john stones 123/01/2018 15:46:25
9236 forum posts
1412 photos

Yep flipping kids getting knocked down about time they grew up. crook

Andrew76723/01/2018 15:51:49
755 forum posts
4 photos

EVs have a white noise generator to alert pedestrians. If the car was totally silent, then the driver had chosen to turn it off!. I have this option on mine but i don't really see the point of it, so leave mine on. As Phil says the issue is more to do with people not looking where they are walking or focusing on something else like a phone.

Andrew

Piers Bowlan23/01/2018 16:04:21
1226 forum posts
36 photos

Perhaps electric cars should have a man with a red flag walking in front of them - History repeating itself!

john stones 123/01/2018 16:08:59
9236 forum posts
1412 photos

Put sound boxes in them, we could all be driving Merlin powered cars. wink

Percy Verance23/01/2018 16:26:19
6363 forum posts
110 photos

Frankly it doesn't need sound modules in electric cars, or men waving red flags. It simply requires people to use common sense and either use a pedestrian crossing if there's one available nearby, or else LOOK to see if it's clear prior to stepping into the road. Some obviously find it hard to do, but they will​ need to change the habits of a lifetime otherwise that life might be made considerably shorter........

Geoff Sleath23/01/2018 17:06:42
2539 forum posts
194 photos

One dark winter morning I'd just set off to work along our quiet road on my bike and had a near miss from a postman stepping off the kerb reading the addresses on the letters he was carrying. That and suddenly seeing a ladder extended across the road as a guy was carrying on his shoulder down an entry made me wonder if silence really is golden No other traffic about on either occasion - I used to set off about 06.30.

I suppose there's the added hazard of people walking along looking at their so-called smart phones these days.

OK, back on topic. If we're looking for a hybrid or 100% electric car (probably the former) second-hand has anyone any idea where or what we should be looking at? We rarely use the car for short journeys. We usually walk or catch the bus into either of our two local small towns which are only 2.5 miles away in opposite directions. As we only drive about 3k miles/year fuel consumption isn't so important but my wife in particular is very environmentally aware and we'd prefer to pollute as little as possible. My main car use is to go flying.

Geoff

john stones 123/01/2018 17:24:58
9236 forum posts
1412 photos

My aren't we taking the moral high ground, no bad drivers about and every accidents the pedestrian/cyclist or whoevers fault, maybe we should ban them along with drones. I live on a street with 2 schools, seen dozens of accidents, some fatalities, warning signs all over the place, see kids slow down or you're at fault. Old people well they're old maybe don't hear/see too well...well they shouldn't be out doors then. My Son spent 6 months in hospital hit and run, knocked of his bike...lot of bad selfish drivers out there. Mind how you go.

Don Fry23/01/2018 17:46:41
2337 forum posts
30 photos
Stupid post self deleted.

Edited By Don Fry on 23/01/2018 17:51:31

Jez Saunders23/01/2018 17:52:42
110 forum posts

One of my greatest fears while driving is hiting a cyclist, pedestrian/child, motorcylest. They are very vulnerable road users, no protective shell ! ipods and phones don't help the situation either. With the electric car as has been said people are less aware. Will Darwins rules come into effect here ? Not putting the blame on those who are vulnerable we as car drivers and pedestrians have to become more aware in this ever crowded world. Every time we get out of bed we become risk takers and play a game of chance. This is life.

Nigel R23/01/2018 17:58:45
1139 forum posts
258 photos

john I don't think anyone is seriously disputing the fact that drivers should be careful. My sympathies for your son. I ride a lot and there have been many occasions where that could have been me.

Percy Verance23/01/2018 19:26:43
6363 forum posts
110 photos

​I've just been in my local Asda, so I took a peek at one of the latest car mags on offer. I got to see several pics of the new Nissan Leaf - which is apparently the world's best selling electric vehicle with over 300,000 sold - and the full specs were there to see.

The full range of the new Leaf is 235 miles, which is considerably more than the old version. 0 to 60 takes 9.8 seconds. Top speed is 89mph. The motor is a 110kw, which equates to 148bhp. The battery is capable of being charged to 80 per cent in just 40 minutes. The price starts at £21990 with the Government grant. So, fairly well priced to compete with the Golfs, Focuses and Astras of this world. The vastly increased range will win a good few more customers over, as will the much improved styling. The article also mentions a potential move towards battery standardisation and exchange battery packs as an alternative to charging, and if that comes about then it only adds to the overall viability. Sure, there's some way to go, but even the longest walk begins with a single step........

So, what might we see in perhaps 5 or 6 years? A version with 500+ mile range? It is looking like a distinct possibility............

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 19:40:37

Andrew76723/01/2018 20:05:02
755 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/01/2018 17:06:42:

One dark winter morning I'd just set off to work along our quiet road on my bike and had a near miss from a postman stepping off the kerb reading the addresses on the letters he was carrying. That and suddenly seeing a ladder extended across the road as a guy was carrying on his shoulder down an entry made me wonder if silence really is golden No other traffic about on either occasion - I used to set off about 06.30.

I suppose there's the added hazard of people walking along looking at their so-called smart phones these days.

OK, back on topic. If we're looking for a hybrid or 100% electric car (probably the former) second-hand has anyone any idea where or what we should be looking at? We rarely use the car for short journeys. We usually walk or catch the bus into either of our two local small towns which are only 2.5 miles away in opposite directions. As we only drive about 3k miles/year fuel consumption isn't so important but my wife in particular is very environmentally aware and we'd prefer to pollute as little as possible. My main car use is to go flying.

Geoff

Geoff

You say you don't use your car for short journeys.If thats the case then diesel still makes sense. EVs, HEVs and PHEVs at the moment make most sense on multiple short journeys and the occasional longer trip. Used EVs are thin on the ground and you you need to decide what type of vehicle that you need first. Then consider, the type of journey that you make most often. To be honest if you need a big estate for flying and you only cover 3000mls a year, an Outlander PHEV could be right down your street as you could run it almost exclusively on electric....i.e....cheap as chips.

Depends on your Kwh charge of course but i get 25mls for about 90pence. Way cheaper than petrol.

Andrew

Percy Verance23/01/2018 20:40:40
6363 forum posts
110 photos

Geoff, a Toyota Prius seems the obvious solution if you'd prefer to go the hybrid route. Been on sale a while now so well tested and proven. Plus it's a Toyota. Cars don't come much more reliable than that. Could be worth a look/test drive. Mostly found at Toyota dealers, but there are a few about at other car outlets. If you intend to transport smaller models Geoff, say up to around 60 inch span or so, then the Nissan Leaf may be suitable. Those built after 2013 - in Britain by the way - are preferable over the earlier Japanese assembled cars. They have a more robust higher quality interior, and a better quality battery pack. 

Geoff, a not dissimilar thing happened to me just a couple of weeks back. I was about to turn down a small side street, and having already indicated I began to slow down for the corner. I had previously observed a bunch of schoolgirls walking towards the corner I was about to negotiate. All but one of them were looking down at their phones/ipods or whatever, and blindly just stepped into the road as I rounded it. However, I had anticipated this happening, and braked virtually to a stop when those whom had been otherwise occupied chose to look up. The startled look on their faces said it all.......... they didn't seem in the least bit aware that they were on the road.

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 20:59:39

Don Fry23/01/2018 21:00:50
2337 forum posts
30 photos

Geoff would need a very small car, big enough for 2 people, and a shopping bag. A tow bar to mount his bike rack on. And a long thin trailer to carry models.

All else is superfluous.

Trevor Crook23/01/2018 21:42:58
654 forum posts
50 photos

Geoff, excellent guidance from Andrew and Percy above.

Percy, a couple of observations on the Leaf stats. The 235 miles range is the NEDC figure, obtained under laboratory conditions, like the official mpg figures for i.c. cars. The reality is likely to be far less. The NEDC figure for the Renault Zoe 40kWh is 250 miles, but Renault sportingly quote 124 miles in winter conditions and 186 miles in temperate conditions.

I too saw those prices in What Car. Unfortunately, it wasn't made clear whether they include battery ownership. I am suspicious they seem too cheap to do so, and you may have to pay £60 or £70 a month for battery lease.

No denying though, it's a real step forward on the previous model, and I think you are right, 500 mile range in another 5 years is believable. I doubt most people have a bladder range of more than 200 miles anyway!

Trevor Crook23/01/2018 22:27:34
654 forum posts
50 photos

Further to the above, apologies to Nissan! I just visited their website and no mention is made of hiring the battery, so those prices include it. Furthermore, it is covered by an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty (I didn't read the t's and c's).

There is also quite extensive information on the kind of real-world range you can expect under different scenarios.

I'm starting to want one......

i12fly23/01/2018 22:57:25
484 forum posts
21 photos

I'm not too sure why many of the posters above are getting so het up.

By 2040 I expect to be in a cold but comfy box 6ft under or having been roast to a crisp and scattered to the 4 winds.

I suspect many posters will be ln the same condition or certainly in no fit state to drive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues