Forum sponsored by CML

First build

Warped wing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel R31/01/2018 16:19:55
917 forum posts
229 photos

Hobbyking sell covering film quite cheap, it seems to be well received by forum users around here.

kc31/01/2018 16:40:59
5390 forum posts
160 photos

Solarfilm is probably the right covering material or the cheaper version sold by HobbyKing is just as good. See the Solarfilm video online or send 4 1st class stamps for the DVD ( mentioned in RCME recently ) for the best tutorial on covering.

The video is by the inventor of Solarfilm -Derek Hardman- and is over an hour of great instruction - learn from the master!

To some extent you get what you pay for with kits - the expensive ones may be better, but all demand some skill in working out the best way to build to your requirements. That's why it's an achievement to build your own model -if it was easy it wouldn't be so worthwhile.

Edited By kc on 31/01/2018 16:47:36

Edited By kc on 31/01/2018 16:49:52

Peter Miller01/02/2018 08:40:32
8873 forum posts
1013 photos
10 articles
Posted by Nigel R on 31/01/2018 16:06:20:

" I thought you followed the plan and it all fitted together!!"

Yeah that's definitely a view from the hopeless optimist camp...

These are fairly complex structures that are never thoroughly tested. If you're really lucky, the guy who drew the plan has (a) actually built more than one prototype and (b) remembered to fix all the cockups on the plan and (c) all that experience made it into the kit.

Or to put it another way, what Don said.

Don't blame the designers. Most errors are caused between the designer sending his plan in and it being printed.

I build a model from my final tracing, then I correct any errors in the plan and send it in.

I then get a proof and lay my tracing over the proof and tell the editor about the mistakes.

Sometimes they are corrected. Not always.

I have sent people PDF files of my original plan to compare them. Ask KC about Ballerina! and there were worse examples

Nigel R01/02/2018 09:15:58
917 forum posts
229 photos

I'm not meaning to blame anyone Pete and I left out a lot from that short list! Plus I assume that the model in this thread is kitted by the designer. Perhaps a poor assumption.

My point was more that the RC business does not usually, for any single design out there, have many iterations through the loop of design -> prototype -> test -> customer purchase -> feedback into design and go again. Long standing kit production runs may go through a few cycles to iron out the big grolleys, but the smaller runs, no chance to correct.

ken anderson.01/02/2018 09:42:25
7947 forum posts
723 photos

days gone by-most kits were crepe......and needed a load of fettling to say the least... in the 80's when I joined our club, I was told if I could get any of the free plans to work and fly, consider it an achievement,we are spoiled today to an extent ...

ken fettling dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 01/02/2018 09:42:57

kc01/02/2018 11:25:14
5390 forum posts
160 photos

I was able to compare Peter's original Ballerina plan with the published plan so I can confirm that Peter is right!

But to get back to the original subject, I believe we are discussing this design which is probably one of the lowest cost set of parts ( not a complete kit) and it's not a design I have heard of before. So we should bear in mind the cost before criticising too much.   Building a well known and established design might have been better for a first model, but I think Robert said it was a gift so perhaps no chance to choose.  Buying that suppliers mMAAOSwl9BWLlEV">O Four Ninier product might have been a better choice as it's an established design.   Anyway the Embark  has already served it's purpose as it's got him into building and resolving all the little problems is good experience.

Looking at the photos it does not appear to have much dihedral ( might be an optical illusion ) so the 85mm dihedral will likely be quite OK.  Looking at the details of the Fournier O49 it says email him if you have any questions -  ask about dihedral for the Embark  and your feedback will probably help him get it right for future buyers.

Edited By kc on 01/02/2018 11:38:04

Don Fry01/02/2018 12:06:20
2206 forum posts
29 photos

I would be tempted to use the HbbyKing stuff. Because it's cheap enough to make some mistakes. The iron temperatures are the same as pro-film. I have found it to be very good to apply, and is durable in use. First class stuff, irrespective of price. Loads of videos online.

Don't use a heat gun, an iron only.

Robert Edney01/02/2018 12:12:14
44 forum posts
8 photos

I will be building another one for sure, I spent a small fortune on rtf and crashed them pretty quickly so I am getting more out of it by doing it like this and the extra wood didn't cost to much, but I think I will buy a complete kit next time, but I am getting there

Peter Miller01/02/2018 13:34:59
8873 forum posts
1013 photos
10 articles

Even more importantly, by building you are also learning how to repair models.

Cuban801/02/2018 14:49:39
1795 forum posts
2 photos

Re the HK covering - I used it on my 1/3 scale President Turbulent, works out to about a quid a metre IIRC, it's very good stuff & easily as good as Solarfilm, not quite as thick as Profilm but I really can't think of any issue with its use.

Robert Edney22/02/2018 13:37:19
44 forum posts
8 photos

Hi, me again, got everything built and just got to do the electric stuff, I got the radio servo's and I have ordered brushless motor + ESC +_ propeller power kit for planes up to 1200 g ideal weight 800 g with 3 s battery but there are so many and I don't really understand what one to buy, I don't want to spend a lot as everything has all added up so any advice would be great. Thanks again

kc23/02/2018 16:46:31
5390 forum posts
160 photos

In order to get worthwhile advice from forum members you need to provide full details of the model and what items you have already bought.

So tell us the name of model, the type of model, the wingspan and likely weight

then tell us which motor/ESC/&prop you have ordered or intend to order.

Then we may be able to advise on the Lipo too, maybe 1000mah like this would suit. Don't forget that you will probably need 2 or more Lipos to get a few flights. So save postage by ordering them all together with whatever connectors you will need for the ESC (ncluding matching bullet connectors to the motor ) Remember you will also need a proper Lipo charger too. Make sure you order from the UK or EC warehouse if you order from HobbyKing - don't get caught for import duty if you order from the warehouse in China!

Robert Edney23/02/2018 16:55:48
44 forum posts
8 photos

It is an embark 1.5 M wing span beginner glider, I orders the motor from Amazon and all it say is it is for planes in the 700-1200 gram range and to use 3s lipo, hope this helps

kc23/02/2018 18:00:55
5390 forum posts
160 photos

You need to give exact details of the motor - KV and motor number etc if you want more help. Or a link to the item you have bought. Frankly it would have been better to have posted the link before you bought and asked peoples opinion on suitability. Experienced modellers usually know the best or cheapest sources!

Robert Edney23/02/2018 18:16:10
44 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for the link kc, I'm learning all the time, remember this is my first time, be gentle, joke, but what starts out as something you think will be not to difficult soon becomes frustrating and expensive, but if it Doe's fly and I think it will, I know what one is next

Don Fry23/02/2018 20:09:42
2206 forum posts
29 photos

Robert, I admire your courage. No one here is laughing at you. We have been there. But advice. Get opinions, before you spend money. Because leccy is technical, and there are better sources of knowledge than what Amazon say.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues