Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Messing about with Mercos'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jeff2wings11/02/2018 21:38:47
653 forum posts
1473 photos

So finished the re-worked "retro" sparky ,just needs a good clean and bearings,think I need to buy them in bulk !laugh

Will run it on glow first to bed it in then try it petrol,well that is after I build an overly intricate and unnecessarily complicated test stand that is smiley

imga0152.jpg

imga0153.jpg

imga0156.jpg

Engine Doctor12/02/2018 15:47:05
1867 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by jeff2wings on 10/02/2018 21:22:50:

Sorry E.D. can't help with that,need a case for a 61 myself ,can you not repair by welding ??

Thanks for looking. Yes welding might be an option. I have loads of other jobs to get n with so will wait a while in case I come across one.

Regards

Gordon Nicol13/02/2018 19:27:59
67 forum posts
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 30/01/2018 01:40:00:

The Army used to have a team called the "MATS(A) team that flew Merco .61 powered models as targets on range days. Everything from small arms to main armament was usually fired at them. They were given a transit (ish) vehicle and filled it with engines (no exhausts), 13x6 blue plastic props, hundreds of idle bar glow plugs, VERY heavy models with a parachute built in to the cockpit, Skyleader radio gear (nice push/pull servos), fuel (straight + petrol mix!), plus all the other gubbins to support them. There were several teams. They travelled the World!. Even flying from ships when we had a navy. How do I know all this? I used to organise range days in BAOR many moons ago, and as a keen modeller the swaps and bartering that could be done would make your eyes water!.

I actually had two brand new MATS, and a handful of merco 61s . Mate and myself used to fly in Fallingbostel, and we had an expedition to the MATS team in Dortmund one day, A contribution was made to their "tea" fund and we were allowed access into the container unsupervised

I actually used the skyleader servos for years ( I had so many of them, and the engine mounts and props , something like 20 spinners even a couple of receivers, but they were 37.5 mhz so no use) , I still find the odd servo in the garage , which always go on Ebay . I had 4 mercos , so did my mate . The planes flew well I even had undercarriage fitted and a third servo working a bodged rudder. I actually threw them 10 years ago (I had them for about 20 years before ) but the damp in the old garage got under the veneer on the wings and it all lifted,

after my demob I built a RCMW solo , a great trainer which I flew many years and eventually sold to a chap at RAF Lyneham where my Daughter and her then husband were serving

I have been trying all day to find any photos of these MATS(A) but rarer than rocking horse poop!

J V R14/02/2018 18:17:18
305 forum posts
55 photos

Jeff2wings PM sent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues