Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Lidl Sander

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh06/02/2018 22:27:30
2390 forum posts
930 photos

I bought a Clarks 4" belt/6" disc sander years ago having tried a quality belt sander previously. The Clarks is certainly not of high quality since the horizontal belt stops with the slightest pressure and the disc table wobbles all over the place, the point being, ensure that the table is rigid before you part with your cash. Having said that, it is still a very useful tool to have. Looking back, I should have bought a stand alone 9" disc instead.

Stuart Z08/02/2018 09:32:48
279 forum posts

Morning,

I picked one up this morning. Perfect for what I want

Self adhesive disc is 125mm and readily available from Axminster Tools etc, and no doubt elsewhere. It’s the same size as the Proxxon disc.

Good number on stock this morning.

S

Simon Feather08/02/2018 09:46:32
187 forum posts
159 photos

I got one too; not used it yet, initial impression is that it seems more than adequate for our hobby - aileron bevelling now should be much easier, I used to do this by hand with a home made tilting shooting board.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the calibrations on the table tilt are way off - mine are out by about 2 degrees, but as long as you know that can be allowed for.

About a dozen out on display in the Ossett store this morning, but also some of last week's offers available too.

Next week there's a robot vacuum cleaner coming up... hm... another workshop aid??

Simon

Stuart Z08/02/2018 09:51:41
279 forum posts

Posted by Simon Feather on 08/02/2018 09:46:32:

I got one too; not used it yet, initial impression is that it seems more than adequate for our hobby - aileron bevelling now should be much easier, I used to do this by hand with a home made tilting shooting board.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the calibrations on the table tilt are way off - mine are out by about 2 degrees, but as long as you know that can be allowed for.

About a dozen out on display in the Ossett store this morning, but also some of last week's offers available too.

Next week there's a robot vacuum cleaner coming up... hm... another workshop aid??

Simon

Simon,

Hadn’t got as far as checking the table angles but a set of “set squares” from kids stationers and that will take care of the core angles. I used a square to set the table initially anyway, never too sure about the ‘calibrations’ on any tool. But for £29.99 it’s a bargain.

S

Glyn4408/02/2018 10:13:22
667 forum posts
90 photos

Me too. 8 on the shelf at 9:30. Got three set squares as well.

Sander.jpeg

Simon Feather08/02/2018 10:19:28
187 forum posts
159 photos

I don't trust engineers' squares until I've checked them, as I've bought two in the past that have been ... not square. Including one fairly expensive one.

Glyn4408/02/2018 11:01:08
667 forum posts
90 photos

Interesting Simon, just how do you check them?

trebor08/02/2018 11:01:14
1500 forum posts
176 photos

Got one ! I got up early (for me) and walked down to the shop, I could have had a lay in as there was about 10 on the shelf. Didn't bother with the pliers as they were naff but came away with some tubes of silicone sealant. Had a quick look at it, I did notice the table has a wobble even if the nuts are tight when you put weight on it. Will have to remember this when setting it up. It will be fine for balsa and 3mm ply which doesn't justify spending loads of money.

Ron Gray08/02/2018 11:16:16
805 forum posts
203 photos

Got one!

Piers Bowlan08/02/2018 11:57:23
1226 forum posts
36 photos

I like the clamp, much quicker than screwing it to a bench which is what I was expecting. Nice and quiet too. I have been thinking of lots of new uses for it, so it won't be living in it's box looking for a home. Thanks for the heads up on this one as I have considered getting one in the past and I think it will be hobby money well spent.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator08/02/2018 12:00:54
15136 forum posts
1407 photos
Just got one, looks good.
BEB
Devcon108/02/2018 12:11:01
1161 forum posts
368 photos

What a sucker...

Just got one from the Exeter Wonsford store, it was the £50.00 extra on food and stuff that I spent.

They must calculate which "Special Buy" stuff brings in the most incremental/spontaneous spend from people like me.

Very happy with the sander, looking forward to a little fillet steak tonight...

Edited By Devcon1 on 08/02/2018 12:11:31

Edited By Devcon1 on 08/02/2018 12:11:47

Christopher Long 108/02/2018 12:14:50
22 forum posts
2 photos

Check your sander, I bought one this morning and after getting home I found that when I unbolted the table to put on a sanding disc the captive nut disappeared into the body, which meant a trip back to Lidl to get a replacement. I checked the replacement sitting in the car park just to make sure that the fault was just a one off, but worth checking!

Simon Feather08/02/2018 12:16:34
187 forum posts
159 photos

How to check a square is actually square:

• take a piece of wood or whatever with one straight edge - you can even use the bench if you like - put the square against it and scribe a line;
  • now reverse the square, put it up against the first line and scribe another line. If it's square, the two lines will be superimposed; if not, you will get an obvious V shape;
  • make sure you use the same edges of the blade, just in case the sides of the blade are not parallel.

Hopefully this picture illustrates:

checking_squares.jpg

Geoff Sleath08/02/2018 13:18:50
2540 forum posts
196 photos

There were about half a dozen in the Ripley Lidl at 11 this morning. I'm pleased they aren't either too big or too heavy and fit in a normal canvas shopping bag It nearly broke my arms carrying my Aldi scroll saw to the bus a few weeks ago.

Very neat and works well. I checked around to see what else is on the market and really, apart from this there isn't an equivalent at anywhere near this price. It's certainly not suitable for heavy duty woodwork (which many of the much more expensive ones are) but for model building when most of the sanding will be of relatively small balsa parts it's ideal. The guide on mine is quite accurate but the table angle scale is about 1.5 degrees in error when I set it up a right angles in both senses with an engineer's square. It'll be great for getting strip to the correct angle on built-up fuselages and tails etc.

Geoff

michael cawood08/02/2018 13:53:40
107 forum posts
109 photos

I had the same problem as Christopher, the nut disappeared when I removed the table to fit the sanding disc. as I have been an electrician for 45 years and have mended hundreds of tools I stripped it down, replaced the nut held it in with the bolt and glued it. the case is held by 4 Philip screws ( I feared they might of been security screws, as Bosch always fit one). saved taking it back. mike

J V R08/02/2018 14:10:50
307 forum posts
55 photos

Got mine there were only 5 left in the Eltham branch, just checked it works and for any run out on the sanding disc and it runs nicely with no vibrations.......

Geoff Sleath08/02/2018 14:24:25
2540 forum posts
196 photos

I had no difficulty fitting the sanding disc with the table in place. Of course I did it before I read the instructions and didn't know it was required - #instructionsareforwimps

Geoff

DaveyP08/02/2018 14:47:18
178 forum posts
47 photos

Someone has already put one on Ebay, exactly the same , for £59.99 nerd

Edited By DaveyP on 08/02/2018 15:07:38

David P Williams08/02/2018 16:30:11
724 forum posts
270 photos

Just back home with mine - not very popular in Wales as Lidl Newtown has quite a pile. Looks OK, runs smoothly, will try sanding stuff tomorrow.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues